British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Renewing a passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/renewing-passport-807102/)

Millhouse Aug 25th 2013 1:21 pm

Renewing a passport

About 20 days ago I sent my passport off for renewal. I ordered a 48 page one

All was going well, payment taken and email updates. Then last week I got a call saying there was a problem...

They spotted that they have printed me a 32 page passport when I asked for 48pages. Now the craziness starts. The options available to me are:

1) take a refund for the difference between a 48 page and a 32 page passport
2) have the 32 page passport posted to me, I send it back stating it was not what I asked for and they will refund the postage and print me a new one.

The obvious option i.e. don't post the 32 page one to me and print me off a 48 page one and post it was not possible!

Brilliant. As I have to travel in 10 days, I'm forced to take for the refund and a 32 page passport. All a bit of a drama but given that the previous 48 pages only lasted 37 months this is quite annoying.

mikewot Aug 25th 2013 1:35 pm

Re: Renewing a passport

Stop travelling so much, stay at the office.

Kix Aug 25th 2013 1:49 pm

First world problems.

giddyup Aug 25th 2013 1:59 pm

Ask them if the UK one is not an option, can they do any other countries in a 48 page layout?

Millhouse Aug 25th 2013 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by giddyup (Post 10868502)
Ask them if the UK one is not an option, can they do any other countries in a 48 page layout?

That I'm sure they could do!

Millhouse Aug 25th 2013 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10868465)
Stop travelling so much, stay at the office.

I hate the office. It's by far the least productive place for me to work.

Greenways Aug 25th 2013 6:36 pm

Millhouse, the same happened to me. And I've just remembered I forgot to claim the refund of the difference in cost. ( thanks for the reminder :)).

They also sent it back to my residential address and not my office address so the courier had to re route - I had written clearly in the correct area (or so I thought) the return address.

But it did only take 11 days door to door....

Millhouse Aug 25th 2013 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Greenways (Post 10868803)
They also sent it back to my residential address and not my office address so the courier had to re route - I had written clearly in the correct area (or so I thought) the return address.

Snap. I got home this evening to find it had been delivered here and not to the very clearly written delivery address. On the upside it was quick. I think around 15 days.

busybee2 Aug 26th 2013 4:21 am

waiting for mine to be delivered to liverpool because of the bank holiday.... its been there since saturday waiting waiting waiting....

Randy Bender Aug 26th 2013 4:35 am

I got a new 48 page passport this July from the office in Victoria. Went in at the appointed time for an 'interview' then dossed around the streets of London for 4 hours then went back and there it was all shiny and brand new. Cost 130 quid, mind you.

Millhouse Aug 26th 2013 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Randy Bender (Post 10869285)
I got a new 48 page passport this July from the office in Victoria. Went in at the appointed time for an 'interview' then dossed around the streets of London for 4 hours then went back and there it was all shiny and brand new. Cost 130 quid, mind you.

180quid if you do it from overseas.

Bahtatboy Aug 26th 2013 8:06 am

I need a new passport, and I'll be back in Uk for 2 weeks soon. Is that long enough to do it by post in UK?

Millhouse Aug 26th 2013 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10869517)
I need a new passport, and I'll be back in Uk for 2 weeks soon. Is that long enough to do it by post in UK?

A friend did it the day he arrived in the UK and it was returned to a UK address (mine) in about 8 days.

Better to do the same day thing, or do it from here -- it's a bit more expensive but less hassle in a way.

Bahtatboy Aug 26th 2013 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10869528)
A friend did it the day he arrived in the UK and it was returned to a UK address (mine) in about 8 days.

Better to do the same day thing, or do it from here -- it's a bit more expensive but less hassle in a way.

Just had a look at the Passport Office website. Think I'll go to the nearest office (Durham), and use the Fast Track service, which means it should be posted to my home address within a week.

Kix Aug 26th 2013 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10869547)
Just had a look at the Passport Office website. Think I'll go to the nearest office (Durham), and use the Fast Track service, which means it should be posted to my home address within a week.

If you're going to go there you may as well use the same day service and wait 4 hours. You can have a look around the City too, what's there not to like?