Ramadan Running?

Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Monsoonhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ramadan Running?

Dear all,

still did not receive my legalised diploma from the embassy, so I continue to post here... (and potentially making too many thoughts...)

As I am running about 40 to 50km a week, occassionally taking part in half marathon and 10k-races, and I wonder whether it is culturally ok to jog outside during Ramadan, wearing shorts? Or must I do it only inside, in gyms? OK, temperature may be also an issue, but I did run already in the Philippines for some time so I am familiar with that one.

Another point... Would you think it is generally cheaper to get equipment like running shoes and the like in Europe? In case, I may order a spare pair which is on sale here before my departure...

Thanks and greetings from Germany
Monsoonhunter
Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:07 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ramadan Running?

Originally Posted by Monsoonhunter
Dear all,

still did not receive my legalised diploma from the embassy, so I continue to post here... (and potentially making too many thoughts...)

As I am running about 40 to 50km a week, occassionally taking part in half marathon and 10k-races, and I wonder whether it is culturally ok to jog outside during Ramadan, wearing shorts? Or must I do it only inside, in gyms? OK, temperature may be also an issue, but I did run already in the Philippines for some time so I am familiar with that one.

Another point... Would you think it is generally cheaper to get equipment like running shoes and the like in Europe? In case, I may order a spare pair which is on sale here before my departure...

Monsoonhunter
can't see it being a problem running during Ramadan, might be a tad hot though and you can't drink in public. Not got a clue about the cost of running shoes.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:15 pm
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Monsoonhunter
Dear all,

Monsoonhunter
Its ok as long you don't drink water infront of muslims. So run jog what ever you want (no naked jogging please :P) and drink water where some one can't see ya.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

bmwm3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Just to re-iterate the above, It is permissible for you to run during ramadan providing your running attire is as modest as possible (i.e not tight fitting shorts and topless!). Take some fluid with you in a rucksack so you can drink at your convienience as long as it is not in front of muslims.

hope this helps.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Monsoonhunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all,

thanks a lot for your replies! They really help a lot!

Was only concerned about the shorts (not too tight for sure), but did totally forget about the water! This together with the heat my restrict the training considerably, and being new I will at least in the beginning not dare to do some tricks with drinking water...

So before sunrise and after sunset it should be no problem at all then?

Thanks a lot
Monsoonhunter
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

LankyLady is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe look into getting a camelback? Then you could sip your water quite discreetly instead of having an obvious water bottle?

Otherwise, before sunrise and after sunset are definite (and slightly cooler) options that won't offend.

Shoes are slightly more expensive here, but you'll really miss the amount of selection and the expertise required to fit new running shoes here. I'm not a runner, so am not aware if there is a running-specific sports store in Dubai, but generally the staff that you find in shops such as Sun and Sand or Intersport here are not as knowledgeable as could be desired.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 5:41 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not a question of not drinking in front of muslims. It's actually illegal for anyone to drink (other than the elderly, the young and the sick) during daylight hours during Ramadan. The Gulf states are weird in this regard, as most other Islamic countries don't have such severe laws on the books.

That said, be sensible. Don't drink where you can be seen by a passing policeman.

Given the heat, it's practical to run very early in the morning and in the evenings. If you do the latter, you should be able to run after the final call to prayer and thus it'll be ok to drink.

Originally Posted by Tiger989
Its ok as long you don't drink water infront of muslims. So run jog what ever you want (no naked jogging please :P) and drink water where some one can't see ya.

Last edited by Ethos83; Jul 26th 2009 at 5:44 am.