Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Ramadan Hydration and Training

Ramadan Hydration and Training

Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:16 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ramadan Hydration and Training

Assuming that my gym / gym-buddies won't turn a blind eye to a discreet water bottle, what are the options?

Is a particular type of exercise more suited to not drinking while doing it?

Can you super-hydrate (I made that up) before exercising? If so, how?

Or is it just a simple case of hiding a bottle in a small bag and going to the loo to have a quick slurp?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:40 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ramadan Hydration and Training

Always had water with me at the pool and in the gym during Ramadan hours. Along with everyone else. No one batted an eye. This was in my building. May be different for commercial gyms. But a discreet water bottle and trips to the loo should be fine.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 10:05 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Always had water with me at the pool and in the gym during Ramadan hours. Along with everyone else. No one batted an eye. This was in my building. May be different for commercial gyms. But a discreet water bottle and trips to the loo should be fine.
Agree. As stated on numerous threads..(I must be on ignore lol) I will still take water out running and in the gym and on the bike etc.

Just be sensitive to when you take it..I.e when running or cycling, not when a blacked out landcruiser is going past etc.

In the gym, go to the corner and swig. I'm a member of fitness first and ill be drinking when working out there. If they ban it, they have a duty of care to shut shop for the month.

Use your judgement and common sense. As I stated, it will take a diplodocuscunt of a muslim to report you for supping water whilst exercising.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the desert at 5.30am tomorrow - I can assure you I will be having drinks and food.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 4:03 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'm in the desert at 5.30am tomorrow - I can assure you I will be having drinks and food.
A post dogging snack is essential
Old Jul 19th 2012, 6:51 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Assuming that my gym / gym-buddies won't turn a blind eye to a discreet water bottle, what are the options?

Is a particular type of exercise more suited to not drinking while doing it?

Can you super-hydrate (I made that up) before exercising? If so, how?

Or is it just a simple case of hiding a bottle in a small bag and going to the loo to have a quick slurp?
I've had a few funny looks at fitness first over ramadan drinking from the water machine but if they don't like it they shouldn't be in the gym basically - it's dangerous to half kill yourself and then not drink any water.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:41 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I've had a few funny looks at fitness first over ramadan drinking from the water machine but if they don't like it they shouldn't be in the gym basically - it's dangerous to half kill yourself and then not drink any water.
Exactly my thinking.

I know the Sofitel made you go into the bathroom to drink water. I always threw a hissyfit because I brought a lot of stuff in with me (iPad, headphones etc).

I couldn't leave it there, in case it grew legs; and to not leave anything there (especially at peak times) means someone stealing your machine while you were halfway through your workout.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:13 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
A post dogging snack is essential