Racism

Old Sep 9th 2010, 10:48 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
He can't do multi-quotes, bless him.
I can but sometimes I like to pretend I can't so as to lure you all into a false sense of security

N.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by expat.brat
That being said I am not completely surprised by what Romulan said as it's largely subcontinental Asians that bear the brunt of racism in the Middle East.
True. Subcontinental Asians, non-Arabic speaking Africans, etc - basically anyone who is "different", and might appear to be weak / poor / uneducated and from a weak / poor country.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

swallace is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Racism is endemic throughout the Arab world, IMO.

My wife is a very attractive Nigerian lady - In Libya (where there are thousands of illegal black Africans), she was taunted, verbally abused, had water and coffee thrown at her, and spat at, by Libyan Arabs.

The UAE is somewhat better, probably because the Arab population are in the minority and are generally seem higher up the food chain than the Libyans and seem to have more respect.

It's the subcontinentals in the UAE who crack us up....even those who have a darker skin than Mrs Oyiobo stare at her with their tongues falling to their feet

Point well taken.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:04 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Romulan
The false accusation that Arabs are racist against Blacks or Asians is simply absurd. While some Arabs may have racist tendencies, to condemn the whole culture is simply shameful. In fact, it is the Asians who are the racist ones trying to import their caste culture to Arabia.
I recall a kuwaiti guy a few years back i got talking to in the pool. He was telling me all about islam and how it is a religion for everybody. He pointed out to me that the prophet also had a black wife.

A few minutes later he was explaining how he had to protect the honour of women in his family, and would NEVER let his sister go out with an Egyptian guy. But there are probably as many people who are hypocritical in the UK too.

I've certainly heard about British asians being badly treated here, though my brother's wife is and not aware she's had any problems on visits. Like most places, it probably depends on who you meet. Indians seem to still be quite caste-oriented - my sister-in-laws mother is quite european looking but her dad is quite dark keralan. Occasionally when they are out and about store owners give him the bags to carry thinking he's her hired help!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:17 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

attitudes here have changed dramatically to British Asians over the years, at one time they were denied entry to practically every club/bar in town even when producing their passports.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:58 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shehryar
True. Subcontinental Asians, non-Arabic speaking Africans, etc - basically anyone who is "different", and might appear to be weak / poor / uneducated and from a weak / poor country.
Ironic really since the UAE is just a tiny oil rich little state with a high GDP (hardly an achievement) that produces nothing too important and cannot compete internationally in any field against most Asian countries - which have older cultures, more developed manufacturing and much larger economies. The UAE's success is primarily down to Asians and Westerners coming to the UAE...they did not even have the means to discover their own oil or drill it.

As for strength...I think the UAE, like most Arab states would lose virtually any war they are involved in (except maybe with other small GCC states). There's a reason they have invited so many Western military forces to set up camp here and advise them.

N.