Qualifications

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifications

Originally Posted by douglasgrant
There are literally tons of higher education institutions which are offering degrees and certificates online and you ever need to set foot on campus to get one. Open University is one of them and there are also tons in North America (US and Canada) also getting in on the action.

The bigger well known ones off the top on my head are:
OU (UK), Capella, U of Phoenix (US), Athabasca U. (Canada)

If I were you, I would pick an industry and/or an employer you are interested in working at and make sure they know and are aware of the online program. Its not free and it is a time commitment and it would really suck if you spent it on something no one at that company or industry knows that it exists or gives a flying hoot about. Don't under estimate how small minded people in the workplace can be.
Good point, good post.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by The Dean
M.B.A. = Means Bugger All
M.A.S.T.E.R.S. = Moderate Achiever Still Trying the Educational Route to Success

There's also a really good definition of D.I.P.L.O.M.A. but I can't bloody well remember it - anyone?
You're not the first I've heard with those sort of jokes.

Personally, I don't see how furthering further education can be a bad thing. But hey ho.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You take it too literally. Obviously i mean medicine

But all those MBAs are not necessary - or indeed my engineering or accountancy degrees for what i do. My point is that most do not use their qualifications and scamp is better off learning someting useful (like a language) than a pointless degree.
Agree and disagree. I won't study for a language though because it bores me to tears. Used to be pretty good in French and Spanish but then lost interest after stopping studying them.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Thought OU allowed folks to sign up when not UK residence these days, so probably worth giving them a shout.

My missus did her masters, part time over a few years online via University of London, Kings College.

They were really good, she even got all the benefits of regular students, photo student ID, all those coupons for money off book shops and the like, but best bit was the access to the biggest digitised library in Europe, or it was at the time.
Yeah they do, they just list some very strange courses for UAE. Not sure if it is for Nationals looking to study or for anyone based here. Need to ring and find out. Thanks though.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
To Echo what others have said, decide what area you find most enjoyable/interesting and motivates you most.

It's like physical activity - if you choose and activity you enjoy, you will do it more often and put more into it.

I would aim as high as you can (ie dont do a Diploma level course with a view to moving to a Degree course afterwards, if you are capable of doing a Degree already).

It will be a big commitment both time wise and monetarily particularly if you are working f/t as well.

Check out the institution you are going to do the qualification with. Reputation can count for a lot in some areas and if you are competing for a job against somebody with the same quals, the institution you have done it with can make the difference.

Good luck
Thanks mate, definitely needs to be angled to something more enjoyable. Going to print a list off the OU and use that as the basis to pick one from, then start looking where / how / who with.

Thanks again. Good point on the institution.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by douglasgrant
There are literally tons of higher education institutions which are offering degrees and certificates online and you ever need to set foot on campus to get one. Open University is one of them and there are also tons in North America (US and Canada) also getting in on the action.

The bigger well known ones off the top on my head are:
OU (UK), Capella, U of Phoenix (US), Athabasca U. (Canada)

If I were you, I would pick an industry and/or an employer you are interested in working at and make sure they know and are aware of the online program. Its not free and it is a time commitment and it would really suck if you spent it on something no one at that company or industry knows that it exists or gives a flying hoot about. Don't under estimate how small minded people in the workplace can be.
Hadn't thought about the US / Canada. Will look into them, thanks.

Need to discuss with current company, unsure if they would be willing to help with cost / time. It would almost certainly be something I have to do off my own back...despite being part of a Times top 100 type business. (don't get my started on that).

Will certainly make them aware when I've worked it all out and am going for it.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:17 am
Account Closed

Oh I went to university all right - then had the good sense to stop before becoming labelled as one of life's permanent students........

Philip Green, Alan Sugar, Richard Branson, John Harvey-Jones........ not a qually between them......... reasonably successful though. You can't teach what they've got.......
TD Do you know anything about the CIPD stuff mate?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Autonomy
but, but.... say Scamp wants to move into a different vertical (the lovely phrase he used) - how do you propose he does this without any academic qualifications or experience? Ask nicely in Mandarin?
Good wasn't it. Got to throw in some bullshit haven't you.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

When comparing institutions, do not worry if you don't see OU in any league tables. It is because they only include those that offer full-time courses. The OU is very well regarded worldwide.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
When comparing institutions, do not worry if you don't see OU in any league tables. It is because they only include those that offer full-time courses. The OU is very well regarded worldwide.
Noted, thanks Layla..
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:33 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You're not the first I've heard with those sort of jokes.

Personally, I don't see how furthering further education can be a bad thing. But hey ho.

Bear in mind that education is about much more than getting a certificate or letters after your name. It's about learning and you can learn a great deal about a variety of subjects in your own time, at minimal cost, if you have the inclination to do so. Often autodidacts are the most interesting and best broadly educated people you will meet.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:10 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

By the way: if you want to study because it is a good thing to do in its own right, go ahead.........
I agree with this for anyone who has already gone to college for a basic degree, anything after this, unless you are moving into a research field, is only self development.
In my field we would not look for anyone with a masters or doctorate, in fact after the basic engineering degree experience is much more important. I find (especially in the ME) any further study has usually narrowed the person's focus too much and made them more "academic" in outlook than a practical realistic problem solver and manager of people.

I agree with Millhouse that a language is a good addition and perhaps it could be combined with some sort of business qualification. The language ability will never make you more money but it certainly will make your life easier and you will be more employable versus the normal mono-lingual Brit
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

douglasgrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
Bear in mind that education is about much more than getting a certificate or letters after your name. It's about learning and you can learn a great deal about a variety of subjects in your own time, at minimal cost, if you have the inclination to do so. Often autodidacts are the most interesting and best broadly educated people you will meet.
I always like to say, "the goal of a university education is to teach you how to think properly and the goal of a college is to teach you a marketable skill".
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a good time to remind everyone about the difference between Oxford Man and Cambridge Man?

Oxford Man walks down the street as if he owns it....

.... Cambridge man walks down the street as if he doesn't care who owns it......
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 12:58 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I would say the OU would be a good route - it shows motivation/determination.

I did a degree in IT straight from school, I have worked in IT for last 15 years and none of my degree has been applicable.

From experience the only people I've worked with who have MBAs are full of themselves and not particularly special.

To echo others, choose something you are interested in and that should make it easier. I've thought about doing some sort of course myself, but I'm too lazy and would much rather watch downloads when I get home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.