Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Qatar: keeping us amused

Qatar: keeping us amused

Old Mar 18th 2015, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Qatar: keeping us amused

This news story has to be the best out of Doha in recent history:

MOI - Braille Handbook of Traffic Signs Launched

Old Mar 18th 2015, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar: keeping us amused

Brig. Muhammad Abdullah al Maliki lauded the efforts of Community Policing and Traffic Awareness Department that helped for the creation of this handbook which would be helpful for the blind people to learn traffic rules.
Are they trying to educate Blind pedestrians on safely navigating the pavements ? If they are Blind I assume they are locals because what's the odds of a Blind expat having a job in Qatar. So isn't this about blind Locals, and wouldn't the be traveling in cars?
Old Mar 21st 2015, 10:26 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

He added that this booklet would remain useful to spread the knowledge of traffic culture in all Arab countries.

WTF do traffic signs have to do with the traffic culture in Arab countries? Except that most of the drivers are blind to them. Oh the irony.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 1:18 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Driving down the Corniche, I said to the missus, look at the monkey driving that car. "Quit the racist remarks", she quips, only to turn her head to see exactly that, a monkey driving a car, or at least sitting on the Qatari drivers lap with its hands on the steering wheel. We get as far a TV roundabout, where for the first time in our lives we see a Cheetah in the wild, or at least one being chased by it's Qatari owner, having escaped through the window of the Landcruiser blocking the inside lane.

I'd write a book about the stuff that goes on here, but no one would believe me.

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Apr 4th 2015 at 1:22 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

How about KSA?
“A fatwa attributed to the Mufti of Saudi Arabia, Abdul Aziz bin Abdullah, which allows a man to eat his wife or parts of her body if the husband was afflicted with a severe hunger raised concern and debate over social media since yesterday evening.

"The Fatwa is interpreted as evidence of the sacrifice of women and obedience to her husband and her desire for the two to become one."

Saudi cleric 'issues fatwa allowing husbands to EAT wives' | World | News | Daily Express
Old Apr 11th 2015, 7:07 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
How about KSA?
“A fatwa attributed to the Mufti of Saudi Arabia, Abdul Aziz bin Abdullah, which allows a man to eat his wife or parts of her body if the husband was afflicted with a severe hunger raised concern and debate over social media since yesterday evening.

"The Fatwa is interpreted as evidence of the sacrifice of women and obedience to her husband and her desire for the two to become one."

Saudi cleric 'issues fatwa allowing husbands to EAT wives' | World | News | Daily Express
So should I eat her or should I eat her??

Well to be honest he did deny it a while ago but it is sad how many gullible people are out there with access to news bits like these and even if untrue, out of a million even if 1 nutter actually believes these type of 'fatwas', you have that 1 in a million who is willing to do anything to get quick access to the good life whereafter!
Old Apr 11th 2015, 9:57 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
So should I eat her or should I eat her??

Well to be honest he did deny it a while ago but it is sad how many gullible people are out there with access to news bits like these and even if untrue, out of a million even if 1 nutter actually believes these type of 'fatwas', you have that 1 in a million who is willing to do anything to get quick access to the good life whereafter!
I think you meant sound bites...
Old Apr 11th 2015, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

You guys are hilarious....Our ROP hasn't gotten round to doing that here but I am sure they will...
Old Apr 11th 2015, 3:36 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's strange one from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Huang_Case_in_Qatar:

"Police investigation

According to the "California Innocence Project" the report filed by the police in the investigation noted that the children were not “good-looking” and did not share the “hereditary traits” of their parents. The CIP reports that investigations also theorize that Matthew and Grace “bought” their children in order to harvest their organs, or perhaps to perform medical experiments on them, allegations arising from the testimony of unnamed sources who claimed that family kept to themselves and did not socialize"

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Apr 11th 2015 at 3:40 pm.