British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Qatar introduces 100% sin tax on Alcohol & pork (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/qatar-introduces-100%25-sin-tax-alcohol-pork-920590/)

DOHDUBMAN Jan 1st 2019 5:23 am

Qatar introduces 100% sin tax on Alcohol & pork

https://news.sky.com/story/alcohol-p...orced-11595884

Whats everyone's views on this? Until earlier i thought it may of been just a rumor but with QDC now issuing statements it appears true.

Doesn't seem the smartest move by Qatar

Irishbeekeeper Jan 1st 2019 10:11 am

Re: Qatar introduces 100% sin tax on Alcohol & pork

Errr....isnt there a world cup coming up? Do they WANT people to come or not?
Or maybe they will drop the sin tax at the last week before the cup to show the world how generous they are?
Desperation starting to show maybe?

scot47 Jan 1st 2019 10:22 am

They would prefer that pig-eating alcohol-drinking people stayed away.

Irishbeekeeper Jan 1st 2019 10:51 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12614770)

I dont think that statement can be true on any level. If that were the case they would just ban the stuff.

scot47 Jan 1st 2019 12:10 pm

I am sure there are many "fundies" in the Gulf that would prefer that Christains stayed at home ! Har to beleive but we are not universally welcome - especially in the iIlamic World !

nonthaburi Jan 1st 2019 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12614799)
I am sure there are many "fundies" in the Gulf that would prefer that Christains stayed at home ! Har to beleive but we are not universally welcome - especially in the iIlamic World !

maybe there are, but I think at the games it's different.

I was lucky enough to see Saudi play Argentina in 2012. Great atmosphere and one of the most welcoming crowds I've known. Even though I look nothing like an Argentinean, loads of guys wanted to get selfies with whitey.

the praying at half time was a bit odd though, can't see it working at the Den.

DOHDUBMAN Jan 2nd 2019 4:10 am

Its made the daily fail now

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ntroduced.html

Surely this is really bad press? Especially since most rags are picking up on the "sin tax" nickname.

I heard a few rumors yesterday that some hotels are just going to double the prices also (Shangrila). Bit disgusting considering they already make a 300% profit on average from drinks sales. One source said it like this

Cost of beer to buy from QDC for bar = 10QAR
Cost to us = 49QAR

New cost to buy from QDC for bar = 20QAR
Cost to us = 59QAR

So the profit would remain the same for the bar but the cost to us would increase but hopefully not double like some other hotels are jumping on.

DOHDUBMAN Jan 2nd 2019 4:13 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12614770)

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12614774)
I dont think that statement can be true on any level. If that were the case they would just ban the stuff.

Actually he has a bit of a point. Search for some of the comments from the WC2022 organisers when asked what kind of fans they are expecting at the world cup and what kind of people they don't want.

I think its very fair to say the current Emir has very different views than his father does.

fezzer Jan 2nd 2019 5:03 am

I wouldn't be surprised that bars and restaurants find was around the huge price increases. Something along the line of "Buy a burger and get two free drinks".

IKnowNothing Jan 4th 2019 5:07 am

Has duty free doubled too? If not it'll be as cheap to fly out the country and come back for a bottle of gin as it is to buy at QDC.

Mate of mine went there yesterday, a box of wine and some pepperami for 300! Now a box of wine here is around 100 or so, so even if doubled it means pepperami is £20!

DOHDUBMAN Jan 4th 2019 5:22 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12616038)
Has duty free doubled too? If not it'll be as cheap to fly out the country and come back for a bottle of gin as it is to buy at QDC.

Mate of mine went there yesterday, a box of wine and some pepperami for 300! Now a box of wine here is around 100 or so, so even if doubled it means pepperami is £20!

Haha i was shocked at your friends purchase also!
Cheap wines and effes for me too from now on :)

No, duty free prices have remained the exact same. As per the case with QA flights its just residents who seem to be bearing the costs.

Standanista Jan 5th 2019 7:59 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12616038)

Getting it in is the problem.

Sainsbury's pork loins are easier with a roll of Best British Beef stickers.

hnd Jul 8th 2019 2:49 am

Looks as if there are problems ...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/94478...qatar-no-beer/

nottmbantam Jul 8th 2019 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12614901)
maybe there are, but I think at the games it's different.

I was lucky enough to see Saudi play Argentina in 2012. Great atmosphere and one of the most welcoming crowds I've known. Even though I look nothing like an Argentinean, loads of guys wanted to get selfies with whitey.

the praying at half time was a bit odd though, can't see it working at the Den.

Yeah, I went to that game too. Dreadful. Argentine team of all stars should've hammered Saudi really.

Irishbeekeeper Jul 9th 2019 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 12707838)

Well for whatever reasons there is really not that much info on why there is a shortage of draft beer (bottled are still available apparently).
Word on the street is QDC (ARI) has issues paying the Port Tax i.e. doesnt want to pay maybe? There is no source for this info, this is what just is heard sometimes from people talking. I tried to do a bit of search on QDC and ARI but not too much info out there about why dont they want to pay the taxes, if it is at all true.
Having said that, I agree with what was said in the article, fewer fans would show up if they find out that there wont be beer or if it is outrageously over-priced.