Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Qatar introduces 100% sin tax on Alcohol & pork

Qatar introduces 100% sin tax on Alcohol & pork

Old Jan 1st 2019, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar introduces 100% sin tax on Alcohol & pork

https://news.sky.com/story/alcohol-p...orced-11595884

Whats everyone's views on this? Until earlier i thought it may of been just a rumor but with QDC now issuing statements it appears true.

Doesn't seem the smartest move by Qatar
Old Jan 1st 2019, 10:11 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar introduces 100% sin tax on Alcohol & pork

Errr....isnt there a world cup coming up? Do they WANT people to come or not?
Or maybe they will drop the sin tax at the last week before the cup to show the world how generous they are?
Desperation starting to show maybe?
Old Jan 1st 2019, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

They would prefer that pig-eating alcohol-drinking people stayed away.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 10:51 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
I dont think that statement can be true on any level. If that were the case they would just ban the stuff.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure there are many "fundies" in the Gulf that would prefer that Christains stayed at home ! Har to beleive but we are not universally welcome - especially in the iIlamic World !
Old Jan 1st 2019, 6:40 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure there are many "fundies" in the Gulf that would prefer that Christains stayed at home ! Har to beleive but we are not universally welcome - especially in the iIlamic World !
maybe there are, but I think at the games it's different.

I was lucky enough to see Saudi play Argentina in 2012. Great atmosphere and one of the most welcoming crowds I've known. Even though I look nothing like an Argentinean, loads of guys wanted to get selfies with whitey.

the praying at half time was a bit odd though, can't see it working at the Den.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Its made the daily fail now

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ntroduced.html

Surely this is really bad press? Especially since most rags are picking up on the "sin tax" nickname.

I heard a few rumors yesterday that some hotels are just going to double the prices also (Shangrila). Bit disgusting considering they already make a 300% profit on average from drinks sales. One source said it like this

Cost of beer to buy from QDC for bar = 10QAR
Cost to us = 49QAR

New cost to buy from QDC for bar = 20QAR
Cost to us = 59QAR

So the profit would remain the same for the bar but the cost to us would increase but hopefully not double like some other hotels are jumping on.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper View Post
I dont think that statement can be true on any level. If that were the case they would just ban the stuff.
Actually he has a bit of a point. Search for some of the comments from the WC2022 organisers when asked what kind of fans they are expecting at the world cup and what kind of people they don't want.

I think its very fair to say the current Emir has very different views than his father does.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't be surprised that bars and restaurants find was around the huge price increases. Something along the line of "Buy a burger and get two free drinks".
Old Jan 4th 2019, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Has duty free doubled too? If not it'll be as cheap to fly out the country and come back for a bottle of gin as it is to buy at QDC.

Mate of mine went there yesterday, a box of wine and some pepperami for 300! Now a box of wine here is around 100 or so, so even if doubled it means pepperami is £20!
Old Jan 4th 2019, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing View Post
Has duty free doubled too? If not it'll be as cheap to fly out the country and come back for a bottle of gin as it is to buy at QDC.

Mate of mine went there yesterday, a box of wine and some pepperami for 300! Now a box of wine here is around 100 or so, so even if doubled it means pepperami is £20!
Haha i was shocked at your friends purchase also!
Cheap wines and effes for me too from now on

No, duty free prices have remained the exact same. As per the case with QA flights its just residents who seem to be bearing the costs.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing View Post
Getting it in is the problem.

Sainsbury's pork loins are easier with a roll of Best British Beef stickers.