Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Projects that never were

Projects that never were

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:54 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Projects that never were

or more correctly the fantasy land projects that were good for a giggle, bankrupted the foolish and never were or could have been in the land of sand during the height of its own insanity.

so far we have chess city, palm deira, hydropolis, an economy based soley on real estate resale, snow dome, the arabian canal and the waterfront

this is a good one it shows half the non existant dreams

the universe nakheels great sea grab

there will be loads of these, i seem to remember at the height of it an almost daily announcement of some insane project in the papers.

i do wonder though just how many people paid for things that never were, could have been or ever will be.....suspect we will never ever know.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Projects that never were

Trump Tower , The Waterfront , Dubailand , MGM , Tiger Woods Golf Estates , Arabian City , International City 2 , Niki Lauder , Boris Becker , The Purple Line , The Lagoons ................

Billion and Billions pissed up the wall....
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:08 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

The revolving tower.... "ready by 2010".....

"do you dare to dream" - this is hilarious... Dubailand video

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:20 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

good find on the dubailand video. never even heard of half of those in that project "that encompassesing everything in the human experience"

i'd forgotten just how insane the whole dubailand thing was.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
good find on the dubailand video. never even heard of half of those in that project "that encompassesing everything in the human experience"

i'd forgotten just how insane the whole dubailand thing was.
One of the most bizarre things i ever saw was back on 2006 when i went to a project meeting for Dubailand in their new offices off the Emirates Road.

In the Reception in a floor to ceiling cage was a Tiger...yes a ******* Tiger , just wandering around doing his thing.

No wonder Dubai went bankrupt so quickly....!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:34 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

There were a few gems in the swill though - it's a pity these didn't happen:-

The 5th Bridge

Dubai Opera House by Zaha Hadid

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:35 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
One of the most bizarre things i ever saw was back on 2006 when i went to a project meeting for Dubailand in their new offices off the Emirates Road.

In the Reception in a floor to ceiling cage was a Tiger...yes a ******* Tiger , just wandering around doing his thing.

i heard that poor thing was still there!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:39 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
There were a few gems in the swill though - it's a pity these didn't happen:-

The 5th Bridge

http://lh4.ggpht.com/mazmohad/R7QBrc..._Crossing2.jpg

Dubai Opera House by Zaha Hadid
agreed thought they'd be nice. all her designs look a bit samey though. talented but a bit samey if you know what i mean
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:58 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jumeirah Gardens. The video was awesome.

A bunch of villas were torn down in Jumeira 1 for the new Gardens development, then the economy crashed and now we still have large plots of empty lands just off Al Wasl down in that part of town.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
agreed thought they'd be nice. all her designs look a bit samey though. talented but a bit samey if you know what i mean
agree. and a bitch to build too. looked at a huge private villa out in the sticks/dunes for one of the Dubai sheikhs designed by ZH. Similar to the Opera House concept. Not a straight line in sight.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post

A bunch of villas were torn down in Jumeira 1 for the new Gardens development, then the economy crashed and now we still have large plots of empty lands just off Al Wasl down in that part of town.
I went to meet a typical Texan abut this in that tower at the end of SZR. Took me to the window and described their dream in a way that only a septic can - really got the hump when we declined to quote....
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

"If you build it, they will come"

.......or
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:37 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post

I'm sure I read that is was rescued and moved to Dubai Zoo. I bet the poor tiger was over the moon at that.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:44 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

http://ehotelier.com/hospitality-new...A8222_0_11_0_M

"One of the hotels, AsiaAsia, will be the largest in the world with 6500 rooms"

"The first phase of the project, which will feature entertainment centres and theatres meant to attract top artists, will be completed in 2010"....maybe they were talking about 7he Sevens.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:14 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post

well what about the whole Satwa thing?! Tear it all down to make room for a mega skyscraper city... started demolitions and... oh. Oh dear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.