Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

President Bush Apologises

President Bush Apologises

Old May 20th 2008, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default President Bush Apologises

President Bush has publicly apologised because an American soldier stationed in Iraq used a copy of the Qoran for rifle shooting practice. My question is; why apologise? For goodness sake, its only a book. If it was an original version, maybe or a living creature...but not a dog-eared copy. This is where Islam really gets me angry. They can desecrate Buddhist statues to their heart's content, but God forbid anyone should damage a Dhs25 copy of the book! Over to you, bearded wonder...
Old May 20th 2008, 12:46 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Bush Apologises

What do you really think George Bush ?

Old May 20th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
President Bush has publicly apologised because an American soldier stationed in Iraq used a copy of the Qoran for rifle shooting practice. My question is; why apologise? For goodness sake, its only a book. If it was an original version, maybe or a living creature...but not a dog-eared copy. This is where Islam really gets me angry. They can desicrate Buddhist statues to their heart's content, but God forbid anyone should damage a Dhs25 copy of the book! Over to you, bearded wonder...
1. Symbolism is powerful. Would Americans wipe their arse with the national flag? It's only some cotton after all, not the original flag, or a living creature.

2. Pragmatism: Why go out of your way to antagonise local policemen that the Americans are supposed to be working alongside

3. It doesn't do the Americans any favours when they try to convince folk that it's not a war on Islam, when they shoot the one entity that is revered by the whole following, whether Arab, SE Asian, Balkan, from the 'Stans, wherever.

4. It makes you wonder what the American squaddies are hearing from their commanders. It's one thing for Rumsfeld to say with his trademark smirk 'this is not a war on your religion' but what are his commanders really telling the guys who do the shooting?

I'm more curious about whether it was an actual apology or the sort of drivel his minders wrote for him after Abu Ghraib.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
1. Symbolism is powerful. Would Americans wipe their arse with the national flag? It's only some cotton after all, not the original flag, or a living creature.

2. Pragmatism: Why go out of your way to antagonise local policemen that the Americans are supposed to be working alongside

3. It doesn't do the Americans any favours when they try to convince folk that it's not a war on Islam, when they shoot the one entity that is revered by the whole following, whether Arab, SE Asian, Balkan, from the 'Stans, wherever.

4. It makes you wonder what the American squaddies are hearing from their commanders. It's one thing for Rumsfeld to say with his trademark smirk 'this is not a war on your religion' but what are his commanders really telling the guys who do the shooting?

I'm more curious about whether it was an actual apology or the sort of drivel his minders wrote for him after Abu Ghraib.

Nice response, JVR.

I'd add that the act of desecrating books has been a feature throughout human history - be it the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the destruction of religious texts by Robespierre in the Fr revolution, the Nazi book-burning and the burning of Salman Rushdie's work in more modern times.

It's a dispicable and ignorant act symbolising the triumph of primitivity over civilization.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:31 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
President Bush has publicly apologised because an American soldier stationed in Iraq used a copy of the Qoran for rifle shooting practice. My question is; why apologise? For goodness sake, its only a book. If it was an original version, maybe or a living creature...but not a dog-eared copy. This is where Islam really gets me angry. They can desecrate Buddhist statues to their heart's content, but God forbid anyone should damage a Dhs25 copy of the book! Over to you, bearded wonder...
Horsefeathers!
Old May 20th 2008, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Horsefeathers!
Pegasus moulting?
Old May 20th 2008, 2:47 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Pegasus moulting?

Well, my reply is as sensible as LH's statement.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
Well, my reply is as sensible as LH's statement.
At least as and i would venture more so.....
Old May 20th 2008, 2:55 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

At least as and i would venture more so.....
You really do want into my Doric den dontya?
Old May 20th 2008, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
You really do want into my Doric den dontya?
Ded you say dat wit ha Jamaican haccent, Chookooloonks?
Old May 20th 2008, 3:04 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ded you say dat wit ha Jamaican haccent, Chookooloonks?
No.............don't be silly I am a serious person
Old May 20th 2008, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
No.............don't be silly I am a serious person
Okey-dokey Professor Yaffle.
Old May 20th 2008, 4:05 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Okey-dokey Professor Yaffle.
Woodpecker feathers!
Old May 20th 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

LH- if someone shat on your family album, would you just shrug and say "it's just a 25-dirham crappy album"?

Or would you get upset because of what the album means to you?

Or are you just missing the point deliberately, like Nick Ferrari?
Old May 21st 2008, 7:18 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seven seas
LH- if someone shat on your family album, would you just shrug and say "it's just a 25-dirham crappy album"?

Or would you get upset because of what the album means to you?
Or are you just missing the point deliberately, like Nick Ferrari?
No similarity whatsoever...its just a f***ing book for Gods sake:curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.