Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Position Elimations ....?

Position Elimations ....?

Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Position Elimations ....?

Originally Posted by admon
thats irish, not british..

4/5ths of the island isn't in britain, just in case you want to argue the point
"Top of the Morning" never heard an Irish Person say that in me life!

How'ye is the expression an Irish person would use
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:08 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

At about..........

How can it be???? It's either At
or About
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:04 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

"Could care less"

It makes no sense! It means the exact opposite of what you think it means! The phrase is "couldn't care less" you bloody fools :curse:
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond repute

‘Negative profit’ = A loss.
‘Suffered an involuntary conversion’ = Crashed.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
well all the lebanese girls say 'hello, how are you?' but then bugger off before you can answer!
Tell them, in a bit queery french way, literally: "Hi, keefeek (arabic for how are you), ca va (french for "OK?")
You will be declared Grand Master of the Lebanese Girls in the office...
You can thank me later by buying me a drink...
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Dean
Of course all the American expressions are annoying...........

"Missing you already".............. "Enjoy".................. "..... and then some......."..... etc, etc..........

I prefer the more sincere British approach:

"If it ain't on the shelf, we ain't got none."
"The bloke what deals with that ain't 'ere."
"That's our policy and that's all there is to it."
"It's not my job, so I can't 'elp yer."

etc etc ad infinitum..........
Oooo? And what about the Uk ones? I mean like....

1. Why in every sentence a UK national seems to add the word "love" to it? "Can you do this for me love..."

2. The entire planet earth calls a cigarette a cigarette, but what really pisses me off? "Can I have a fag love..." (Ofcourse, they're 48% more expensive in the UK then in the rest of Europe)

3. What makes me laugh? "Oooo he's European..." (I'm not, but besides the point here) As if the UK doesn't belong to Europe.

4. And what really shows style? "Ooo you're giving it away? The most expensive pint please... LOVE!!!!"

5. Or an even better one... "Lets get pissed..." Lets get what? O you mean drunk? That is if we survive the stampede when a UK pub opens right?

6. And the best one ever? "I heard you Americans still have mud floors? Must be cold in the winter time..." Hmmmm... The first mud floor I ever saw was in a UK basement, and no won't explain what I was doing there.

7. And the UK version of brain washing a man? Exposing him to several episodes of either "East enders" or even worse "Coronation street". My god to come up with those kind of problems you really have to be nuts...

8. Or... Sitting in an English B&B house at 7 AM? Making the mistake of ordering English breakfast and hearing this heavy German accent at the background whispering "You must really have suicide plans Yank...." And looking at the plate put down in front of me? Thinking along the lines of "My god, WW III would be painless compared to this".

9. And last but not least? In a UK bar, sorry, pub right? Watching a guy trying to seduce a UK girl into the horizontal levels of pleasure. The mistake he made? "You've been around a lot haven't you?" (An innocent remark in the USA, actually a compliment in my part of the world) So I closed my eye's and waited just thinking "She's British boy... Big, mega big mistake" And yes, the familiar sound of a slap that followed. No wonder the UK pays an absolute fortune to translate UK English into American English. I rest my case....

Come on peeps, nobody is a saint.

USExpat

Last edited by USExpat; Dec 18th 2008 at 8:37 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Alen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond repute

'peeps'. There's another one!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

USExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to allUSExpat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alen1
'peeps'. There's another one!
Every country is different, makes traveling so much fun.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

DaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USExpat
2. The entire planet earth calls a cigarette a cigarette, but what really pisses me off? "Can I have a fag love..." (Ofcourse, they're 48% more expensive in the UK then in the rest of Europe)
I'll have some sugar with that love!
Old Dec 19th 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DaWarrior
I'll have some sugar with that love!
As I said, everyone is different and the UK was one hell of an experience for me.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

"Shall we shag"???
As if anyone would say no to that!!!
Old Dec 20th 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

'Traveling' 'Color' Aluminum'. Simplified spelling - struggling for literacy.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:45 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USExpat
Oooo? And what about the Uk ones? I mean like....

1. Why in every sentence a UK national seems to add the word "love" to it? "Can you do this for me love..."

3. What makes me laugh? "Oooo he's European..." (I'm not, but besides the point here) As if the UK doesn't belong to Europe.

4. And what really shows style? "Ooo you're giving it away? The most expensive pint please... LOVE!!!!"

5. Or an even better one... "Lets get pissed..." Lets get what? O you mean drunk? That is if we survive the stampede when a UK pub opens right?

6. And the best one ever? "I heard you Americans still have mud floors? Must be cold in the winter time..." Hmmmm... The first mud floor I ever saw was in a UK basement, and no won't explain what I was doing there.

7. And the UK version of brain washing a man? Exposing him to several episodes of either "East enders" or even worse "Coronation street". My god to come up with those kind of problems you really have to be nuts...

8. Or... Sitting in an English B&B house at 7 AM? Making the mistake of ordering English breakfast and hearing this heavy German accent at the background whispering "You must really have suicide plans Yank...." And looking at the plate put down in front of me? Thinking along the lines of "My god, WW III would be painless compared to this".

9. And last but not least? In a UK bar, sorry, pub right? Watching a guy trying to seduce a UK girl into the horizontal levels of pleasure. The mistake he made? "You've been around a lot haven't you?" (An innocent remark in the USA, actually a compliment in my part of the world) So I closed my eye's and waited just thinking "She's British boy... Big, mega big mistake" And yes, the familiar sound of a slap that followed. No wonder the UK pays an absolute fortune to translate UK English into American English. I rest my case....

Come on peeps, nobody is a saint.

USExpat
where exactly did you live/work in the UK then??
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Spugsy
where exactly did you live/work in the UK then??
I've bounced all over that island in ruffly 22 months, worked for BP as an external adviser. But mainly the hyper expensive London.

Last edited by USExpat; Dec 20th 2008 at 5:52 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alen1
'Traveling' 'Color' Aluminum'. Simplified spelling - struggling for literacy.

And not to forget the classic "Aeroplane" or "Airplane". But let's leave it as it is okay? It's a never ending battle both sides won't win.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.