British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Pointless expenditures (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/pointless-expenditures-918155/)

DXBtoDOH Oct 10th 2018 7:45 am

Pointless expenditures

What are the little things you probably spend too much money on? It's not much money individually but when you add it up across the course of the year it's surprisingly a lot.

For me it's the daily cappuccino and croissant that I get on the way to the office from the gym. I did the mental calculation and reckoned I spend £2500ish across the year on coffee and croissants. Oy vey.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 10th 2018 9:46 am

Re: Pointless expenditures

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12575332)
What are the little things you probably spend too much money on? It's not much money individually but when you add it up across the course of the year it's surprisingly a lot.

For me it's the daily cappuccino and croissant that I get on the way to the office from the gym. I did the mental calculation and reckoned I spend £2500ish across the year on coffee and croissants. Oy vey.

I'm amazed you worked that out and haven't committed to eradicating it from your budget.

I'm quite good, most things I buy I need or will enjoy. Does golf count as pointless?

The thing most of my weekly budget goes on is booze.

DXBtoDOH Oct 10th 2018 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12575392)
I'm amazed you worked that out and haven't committed to eradicating it from your budget.

I'm quite good, most things I buy I need or will enjoy. Does golf count as pointless?

The thing most of my weekly budget goes on is booze.

I am contemplating it. But that would leave me with no vices. And I'm not sure if I want to be without a vice. £2500 is not bad as things go.

I suppose the real definition of pointless is that I could skip the coffeeshop cappuccinos and croissants and instead have the free coffee or tea at the office, which is what most people seem to do.

Millhouse Oct 10th 2018 10:12 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12575396)
I am contemplating it. But that would leave me with no vices. And I'm not sure if I want to be without a vice. £2500 is not bad as things go.

I suppose the real definition of pointless is that I could skip the coffeeshop cappuccinos and croissants and instead have the free coffee or tea at the office, which is what most people seem to do.

Is coffee really a vice?

DXBtoDOH Oct 10th 2018 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12575400)
Is coffee really a vice?

It's not alcohol or tobacco or drugs or sex fetishes but you can still form a psychological dependence on coffee. Some religious sects ban coffee and tea. So I'd still argue it's a vice.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 10th 2018 10:24 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12575396)

It's good to treat yourself, I had many pints and a pizza last night. Yes I feel pretty average today, but I had a wonderful evening with the mrs catching up away from telly, phones and laptops and distractions. I guess that money spent was 'pointless' but we both enjoyed it a lot, so whilst there are free alternatives, would it be as good? The opportunity cost would be sacrificing the atmosphere or service perhaps.

DXBtoDOH Oct 10th 2018 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12575407)
It's good to treat yourself, I had many pints and a pizza last night. Yes I feel pretty average today, but I had a wonderful evening with the mrs catching up away from telly, phones and laptops and distractions. I guess that money spent was 'pointless' but we both enjoyed it a lot, so whilst there are free alternatives, would it be as good? The opportunity cost would be sacrificing the atmosphere or service perhaps.

But not every day, right? That's the difference. Sensibly I should only have the coffeeshop coffee periodically. A weekend treat, for example. But not every day.

But it does bring happiness. Of a kind.

Speaking of which, apparently drinking is down hugely among UK youths compared to a decade or two ago. If they're not drinking or smoking, then what exactly are they doing? https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-study-england

I believe even sex is down. In my day if you weren't drinking, or smoking, or having sex, we had a word for you.

BritInParis Oct 10th 2018 11:38 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12575423)
But not every day, right? That's the difference. Sensibly I should only have the coffeeshop coffee periodically. A weekend treat, for example. But not every day.

But it does bring happiness. Of a kind.

Speaking of which, apparently drinking is down hugely among UK youths compared to a decade or two ago. If they're not drinking or smoking, then what exactly are they doing? https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-study-england

I believe even sex is down. In my day if you weren't drinking, or smoking, or having sex, we had a word for you.

Glued to their iPhones and laptops.

hnd Oct 10th 2018 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12575452)
Glued to their iPhones and laptops.

... and being offended by virtually everyone and everything on behalf of everybody else

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 11th 2018 6:22 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12575423)

They're too busy worrying about how to ever afford property or about what happens post-Brexit among other things I expect.

co durham boy Oct 11th 2018 6:41 am

Just bought a triathlon bike , used it 3 times in 2 months . Poor investment for 24,000 rips at this present time .

DXBtoDOH Oct 11th 2018 8:53 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12575946)
Just bought a triathlon bike , used it 3 times in 2 months . Poor investment for 24,000 rips at this present time .

You win.