Pointless expenditures

Old Oct 10th 2018, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pointless expenditures

What are the little things you probably spend too much money on? It's not much money individually but when you add it up across the course of the year it's surprisingly a lot.

For me it's the daily cappuccino and croissant that I get on the way to the office from the gym. I did the mental calculation and reckoned I spend £2500ish across the year on coffee and croissants. Oy vey.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 9:46 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pointless expenditures

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
What are the little things you probably spend too much money on? It's not much money individually but when you add it up across the course of the year it's surprisingly a lot.

For me it's the daily cappuccino and croissant that I get on the way to the office from the gym. I did the mental calculation and reckoned I spend £2500ish across the year on coffee and croissants. Oy vey.
I'm amazed you worked that out and haven't committed to eradicating it from your budget.

I'm quite good, most things I buy I need or will enjoy. Does golf count as pointless?

The thing most of my weekly budget goes on is booze.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I'm amazed you worked that out and haven't committed to eradicating it from your budget.

I'm quite good, most things I buy I need or will enjoy. Does golf count as pointless?

The thing most of my weekly budget goes on is booze.
I am contemplating it. But that would leave me with no vices. And I'm not sure if I want to be without a vice. £2500 is not bad as things go.

I suppose the real definition of pointless is that I could skip the coffeeshop cappuccinos and croissants and instead have the free coffee or tea at the office, which is what most people seem to do.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 10:12 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I am contemplating it. But that would leave me with no vices. And I'm not sure if I want to be without a vice. £2500 is not bad as things go.

I suppose the real definition of pointless is that I could skip the coffeeshop cappuccinos and croissants and instead have the free coffee or tea at the office, which is what most people seem to do.
Is coffee really a vice?
Old Oct 10th 2018, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
Is coffee really a vice?
It's not alcohol or tobacco or drugs or sex fetishes but you can still form a psychological dependence on coffee. Some religious sects ban coffee and tea. So I'd still argue it's a vice.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 10:24 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to treat yourself, I had many pints and a pizza last night. Yes I feel pretty average today, but I had a wonderful evening with the mrs catching up away from telly, phones and laptops and distractions. I guess that money spent was 'pointless' but we both enjoyed it a lot, so whilst there are free alternatives, would it be as good? The opportunity cost would be sacrificing the atmosphere or service perhaps.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
It's good to treat yourself, I had many pints and a pizza last night. Yes I feel pretty average today, but I had a wonderful evening with the mrs catching up away from telly, phones and laptops and distractions. I guess that money spent was 'pointless' but we both enjoyed it a lot, so whilst there are free alternatives, would it be as good? The opportunity cost would be sacrificing the atmosphere or service perhaps.
But not every day, right? That's the difference. Sensibly I should only have the coffeeshop coffee periodically. A weekend treat, for example. But not every day.

But it does bring happiness. Of a kind.

Speaking of which, apparently drinking is down hugely among UK youths compared to a decade or two ago. If they're not drinking or smoking, then what exactly are they doing? https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-study-england

I believe even sex is down. In my day if you weren't drinking, or smoking, or having sex, we had a word for you.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 11:38 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

But not every day, right? That's the difference. Sensibly I should only have the coffeeshop coffee periodically. A weekend treat, for example. But not every day.

But it does bring happiness. Of a kind.

Speaking of which, apparently drinking is down hugely among UK youths compared to a decade or two ago. If they're not drinking or smoking, then what exactly are they doing? https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-study-england

I believe even sex is down. In my day if you weren't drinking, or smoking, or having sex, we had a word for you.
Glued to their iPhones and laptops.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 1:48 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Glued to their iPhones and laptops.
... and being offended by virtually everyone and everything on behalf of everybody else
Old Oct 11th 2018, 6:22 am
WWLLCJD?

They're too busy worrying about how to ever afford property or about what happens post-Brexit among other things I expect.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought a triathlon bike , used it 3 times in 2 months . Poor investment for 24,000 rips at this present time .
Old Oct 11th 2018, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
Just bought a triathlon bike , used it 3 times in 2 months . Poor investment for 24,000 rips at this present time .
You win.