Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Phantom speeding fines...

Phantom speeding fines...

Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:40 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Cow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really nice
Default Phantom speeding fines...

Hi all

Checked the Dubai Police website this morning just to ensure I'd been a good boy in the car. Seems I have fines related to speeding and an unknown violation in Sharjah??? Problem is both 'violations' took place in parts of the UAE I haven't been to... There is a picture of my plate on the site and looks like the speeding fine may be my car but the location simply wrong.

Anyone got experience of appealing these things or is it not worth the bother...? Might take a wander down to the RTA.

Cheers

Last edited by Cow Pie; Nov 28th 2011 at 7:54 am.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:34 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phantom speeding fines...

Yeah, dispute it strongly. An Arab colleague has got every fine withdrawn.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 9:45 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Rumour I heard was that people were 'cloning' car plates on the most obvious vehicles (Corrolla's, Landcruisers etc) and selling them to other owners of the same vehicle make / colour.....
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Rumour I heard was that people were 'cloning' car plates on the most obvious vehicles (Corrolla's, Landcruisers etc) and selling them to other owners of the same vehicle make / colour.....
Would you please explain that one in greater detail as my brain isn't functioning at the moment.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

thats why in abu dhabi they brought in the new number plates, more safeguards in there making it more difficult to clone the plates
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people here get what they call 'phantom' speeding fines. In actual fact, what has often happened, is that they have bought new tyres that are a different size to the old tyres and the tyre fitters have not adjusted the speedometer. So, they appear to be going slower than they are.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
A lot of people here get what they call 'phantom' speeding fines. In actual fact, what has often happened, is that they have bought new tyres that are a different size to the old tyres and the tyre fitters have not adjusted the speedometer. So, they appear to be going slower than they are.
If you have non-stock tyres on your vehicle - and we do on both of ours - then set your gps to show the speed you are travelling at, as that will be correct regardless of the tyre size.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
If you have non-stock tyres on your vehicle - and we do on both of ours - then set your gps to show the speed you are travelling at, as that will be correct regardless of the tyre size.
Good tip
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

winter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to all

change your speedometer, isn't that illegal, i am assuming this is a tongue in cheek post
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla

Really???????????????? come on i can't even begin to point out what is wrong with this statement. Hope it is tongue in-cheek
Old Dec 6th 2011, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-r...Calculator.asp

for the un-believers.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse

101 compared with 100 km/hr.....big hairy deal!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Depends on how much you change them. Ours are 4kph different and if you drive at the limit by your speedo then that will get you a fine. Huge offroad tyres will make a big difference as will increasing the rim size.

Having said that, most speedometers err on the side of caution, so using your gps is the most accurate way to know the true speed you are travelling at.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
101 compared with 100 km/hr.....big hairy deal!
Not if you are doing 121 km/h in a 100 km/h zone.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:55 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris_m
Really???????????????? come on i can't even begin to point out what is wrong with this statement. Hope it is tongue in-cheek
My disco now has a 10-12 Km/hr difference between actual and speedometer speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.