Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The people that flee leaving debts

The people that flee leaving debts

Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default The people that flee leaving debts

Are they mainly singles or childless couples? I don't personally know anyone who has 'legged it' but it has been suggested that people with children plan their exits more carefully or take their time due to wanting the children to finish the term.

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks

-
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The people that flee leaving debts

Originally Posted by Meow
Are they mainly singles or childless couples? I don't personally know anyone who has 'legged it' but it has been suggested that people with children plan their exits more carefully or take their time due to wanting the children to finish the term.

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks

-
sure there are plenty of families with kids who have legged it!
they have higher living costs for a start.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
sure there are plenty of families with kids who have legged it!
they have higher living costs for a start.
Do you know people who have left in those circumstances? Not doubting, just wondering, as there is so much hearsay.

-
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know people who have left in those circumstances? Not doubting, just wondering, as there is so much hearsay.

-
I don't know anyone who's legged it. I'm a bit out of the loop over here
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:32 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks

-
yeah I know a few, and none of them have nippers.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:33 am
Bored liberal

I don't know anyone either, but everyone seems to have heard of people fleeing. A bit odd really...

-
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

I don't know anyone either, but everyone seems to have heard of people fleeing. A bit odd really...

-
I have a few colleagues/friends who have been made redundant and do have debt (cars, loans for apartment leases) - almost all of them are still in Dubai or looking for jobs in the GCC region...no 'skips' yet...a few of them went back home, had extended "holidays" over Xmas and New Year, but still returned here....these are mostly people with families.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:38 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

-
MrsHaps may be able to shed some more light on the subject...
Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:54 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the people I know with kids have sent the family home and downsized their living here to give themselves time to settle everything.

N.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Friends (family of five) flew out yesterday, leaving their car unsold and the loan for it in their wake. They were worried about being detained at the airport - hopefully they were all on the plane. They had no other choice, visa being cancelled due the redundancy and no way to sell the car or settle the loan. Their accounts hadn't been frozen though and they will continue to make payments as long as the account remains open. They've left their car with a friend to hopefully sell.

I know of another couple of families from school who are definitely leaving over these holidays. I think when we go back to school there will be many more who've left without telling anyone. It'll be interesting to see how many have gone.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Same in AD.
Everyone says rents are coming/will come down but no hard and fast figures as yet.
Everyone says loads of people are being made redundant but I have yet to hear of this happening to anyone I know, know of, or even just friends of friends.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 7:33 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Friends (family of five) flew out yesterday, leaving their car unsold and the loan for it in their wake. They were worried about being detained at the airport - hopefully they were all on the plane. They had no other choice, visa being cancelled due the redundancy and no way to sell the car or settle the loan. Their accounts hadn't been frozen though and they will continue to make payments as long as the account remains open. They've left their car with a friend to hopefully sell.

I know of another couple of families from school who are definitely leaving over these holidays. I think when we go back to school there will be many more who've left without telling anyone. It'll be interesting to see how many have gone.
Indeed I'm hopeful after school ends rents will take a bit more of a dip and school places will be easier to find.

N.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

B Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of lightB Bear is a glorious beacon of light

I know one family in AD unable to get loan for next rent cheque - no options left to them, company unable to help. Personally know two familys holding on till end of term, then off (legally.... I think!) as hubby already established and working elsewhere....
Old Apr 1st 2009, 8:48 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67

what kind of car was it and as its a desperation sale, whats the price?
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
what kind of car was it and as its a desperation sale, whats the price?
It's the brand new chevy SUV, not sure what the model is called. I think they paid around AED150k, I think they had an offer of 70k, but they wanted more than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.