pancake day

Old Feb 28th 2017, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pancake day

I could see a buckwheat crepe like the proper ones from Brittany, filled with a thin fried egg and kimchi.

Or the pancake rolled up with kimchi fried rice and chicken?

Could be quite good, when you think about it.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Maybe, with kimchi ...
Old Feb 28th 2017, 12:09 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
So... will you be having pancakes?

How many?

With Jif?

What are you going to give up for lent?

Personally, I hate pancakes so none for me - but I'll probably quit chocolate and masturbation for lent. Millhouse is gonna be grumpy.
No pancakes here as a) I don't define myself as Christian so don't follow Church guidance as to what I should do b) couldn't be arsed anyway, and c) we're going out for dinner this evening as we have visitors.

What am I giving up for Lent? I refer to you to my previous response, a).

I didn't have you pegged as a practising Christian Milly. I thought you were another heathen.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 12:11 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Who the hell was St Pancake anyway?
Old Feb 28th 2017, 12:13 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Who the hell was St Pancake anyway?

I also couldn't be bothered to be pedantic about it actually being Shrove Tuesday. (Dammit!)

St Pancake is far better, and about as logical. Patron saint of poor bakers?
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:57 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I also couldn't be bothered to be pedantic about it actually being Shrove Tuesday. (Dammit!)

St Pancake is far better, and about as logical. Patron saint of poor bakers?
Yeah, they're vastly overrated. Despite my tirade (well -- moan, really) in another thread about French food, shortly afterwards and quite by chance I had an excellent meal cooked by a young French chef (although they still can't do veg properly). Almost as good as English. Lovely starter; soft, succulent and full-of-taste duck breast; fantastic cheese board (although that was nothing to do with him); but all let down by Crepes Suzette (actually Crepe something-else, with rum instead of brandy): totally tasteless things, livened up only marginally by the rum and cream. Why bother?

And just for Nutek (with apologies for the quality of the pics):

pancake day-16508810_10155911167699012_1059027786008103778_n.jpg

pancake day-16708565_10155911168929012_5906710473622484921_n.jpg

pancake day-16708536_10155911166119012_7357407630688361767_n.jpg
Old Feb 28th 2017, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

No pancakes here as a) I don't define myself as Christian so don't follow Church guidance as to what I should do b) couldn't be arsed anyway, and c) we're going out for dinner this evening as we have visitors.

What am I giving up for Lent? I refer to you to my previous response, a).

I didn't have you pegged as a practising Christian Milly. I thought you were another heathen.
I hate pancakes. Never knew pancake day was of religious significance - thought only the Wednesday was?

I like gifts at Christmas. Eggs at Easter. I also love Eid and will happily throw coloured paints at Indians.

just as well we have a multifaith prayer room in the office.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 5:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I didn't have any but would have if there wasn't a work function with a free bar to be abused.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
I'm sorry but that sounds totally rank
I did myself 3 in the end - 2 x banana with Nutella and 1 x dark chocolate and cherries. They were very filling - and tasty.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 7:13 am
Bored liberal

I hate pancakes. Never knew pancake day was of religious significance - thought only the Wednesday was?

I like gifts at Christmas. Eggs at Easter. I also love Eid and will happily throw coloured paints at Indians.

just as well we have a multifaith prayer room in the office.

Shrove Tuesday is the last day before Lent when you use up 'rich food' like eggs and milk before 40 days of simple living and self-restraint, hence making pancakes.

The 40 days of Lent are representative of Jesus spending 40 days in the desert and Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent.

Religion and primitive customs are fascinating from a sociological perspective.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Shrove Tuesday is the last day before Lent when you use up 'rich food' like eggs and milk before 40 days of simple living and self-restraint, hence making pancakes.

The 40 days of Lent are representative of Jesus spending 40 days in the desert and Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent.

I don't do the religion bit but I don't mind the pancakes and chocolate eggs!
Old Mar 1st 2017, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Karneval in Germany before lent is great, Rosenmontag being the highlight. Like Christmas, not many are too interested in the religious aspect....
Old Mar 1st 2017, 11:41 am
Hit 16's

I'm not religious either, but a little bit of missionary doesn't go amiss now and again.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

So... Shrove Tuesday is a cultural event. It's not a religious one.

Like boxing day?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 12:34 pm
Bored liberal

So... Shrove Tuesday is a cultural event. It's not a religious one.

Like boxing day?

It pretty much is now. Much like Christmas.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Savoury pancakes with chicken and pancetta

I must admit that I did cheat though buying ready made ones in the shop