British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Overrated shouty singer dead at 48 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/overrated-shouty-singer-dead-48-a-748201/)

The Dean Feb 12th 2012 1:16 am

Overrated shouty singer dead at 48

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17001548

Still............. RIP. :(

mentalist Feb 12th 2012 3:27 am

Re: Overrated shouty singer dead at 48

Piss off, Dean.:thumbdown:

co durham boy Feb 12th 2012 4:12 am

The drugs don't work kids...

shiva Feb 12th 2012 4:12 am

Why should he piss off, he's spot on

Millhouse Feb 12th 2012 4:15 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9897254)

He is off a little...I assumed (and hoped) it was Björk when I first read the title. I confess to being a little let down.

Blue Cat Feb 12th 2012 5:26 am

She had a great voice in her day, but sadly she lost it due to her addictions, she was on the Xfactor a couple of years ago and was terrible. Regardless very sad that another young life has been lost due to addiction (I am guessing drugs).

mentalist Feb 12th 2012 5:30 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9897254)

:eek:

Boomhauer Feb 12th 2012 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9897257)
He is off a little...I assumed (and hoped) it was Björk when I first read the title. I confess to being a little let down.

Come on now, without Bjork no one would know Iceland exists, the infamous 90s Top Gear Iceland episode notwithstanding.

Sad to hear W.Houston has passed.

kittycat1 Feb 12th 2012 5:33 am

Can't say I'm a big fan of her music but did watch the Bodyguard about a million times as a teenager. As always it is a tragic loss when a life is lost to drug abuse. May she RIP.

kittycat1 Feb 12th 2012 5:34 am

I like Bjork, you always need people who are as mad as a box of frogs.

Bahtatboy Feb 12th 2012 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9897257)

Nice diaeresis :thumbup:

co durham boy Feb 12th 2012 6:24 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9897315)
Can't say I'm a big fan of her music but did watch the Bodyguard about a million times as a teenager. As always it is a tragic loss when a life is lost to drug abuse. May she RIP.

Not tragic , it's preventable , cancer is tragic . I don't feel one bit of sympathy whatsoever .

Too much public grief nowadays from people to others they don't even know . Z list people tweeting their grief for brownie points . It's the Princess Diana syndrome.

shiva Feb 12th 2012 6:27 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9897356)
Not tragic , it's preventable , cancer is tragic . I don't feel one bit of sympathy whatsoever .

Too much public grief nowadays from people to others they don't even know . Z list people tweeting their grief for brownie points . It's the Princess Diana syndrome.

It's curious, one **** nugget blows their own life and the media and social media go nuts. Assad blows the shit out of whole cities and barely a whisper from the same **** nuggets. Wankers the lot of em.

She was over rated blew her career and probably killed herself.....yup I'm still searching for any sympathy

Bahtatboy Feb 12th 2012 6:29 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9897356)
Not tragic , it's preventable , cancer is tragic.

So you don't think some cancers are preventable / avoidable?

co durham boy Feb 12th 2012 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9897359)
So you don't think some cancers are preventable / avoidable?

Of course but you know the point i'm making .

Bahtatboy Feb 12th 2012 7:12 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9897361)
Of course but you know the point i'm making .

Yeah, sorry.

kittycat1 Feb 12th 2012 8:13 am

Co Durham Boy-

I completely disagree- It is a tradgey that so many people die from drug abuse and spend such a large part of their lives battling their addiction. I'm pretty sure no one takes drugs thinking- yeah this will kill me one day, everyone assumes it won't happen to them, the same as an alcoholic doesn't have their first drink thinking one day I'll be addicted and I'll put myself in an early grave and all my family and friends will disown me.

We all make stupid choices every now and again, luckily most of those choices don't result in a lifetime of drug abuse, but sadly for some it does. for me such a waste of a life is a tragedy.

And I don't think you can compare drug abuse to cancer- is it better or noble or acceptable to die from cancer compared to a drug overdose? Do you have more sympathy for someone that has died from cancer? What if they have smoked all their lives, or eaten unhealthily, or perhaps they are just unlucky to have cancer in their family history. What about someone that kills themselves- no sympathy for them either as they chose to- you wouldn't question their mental health and state of mind or give them sympathy for having something that has left them so desperate they feel their only option is to kill themselves? or perhaps you would? So why not question the life of a drug addict before you pass judgement, were they hooked on drugs because they couldn't cope with some part of their life, maybe they were abused, maybe they just can't cope so drugs are an escape from whatever part of their lives need escaping from? perhaps not, but every case is different for which you don't know all the information, who are you to say every preventable death deserves no compassion?

So what? she was another celeb who had a life of riley- she had every opportunity in life and still her life went down the shitter- life isn't always what it seems and celebrity and money doesn't make everything ok.

Millhouse Feb 12th 2012 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9897320)
Nice diaeresis :thumbup:

Thanks. I keep them in a little bag to keep them cool.

Meow Feb 12th 2012 8:33 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9897358)
It's curious, one **** nugget blows their own life and the media and social media go nuts. Assad blows the shit out of whole cities and barely a whisper from the same **** nuggets. Wankers the lot of em.

She was over rated blew her career and probably killed herself.....yup I'm still searching for any sympathy

I'm with you on this & also agree with co durham boy about 'Diane syndrome'. Sad that a woman of just 48 has died so young, but the was largely the author of her own fate when she had so much going for her. I'm not upset as I didn't know her and didn't really like her music.

There are tragedies happening to non-famous people every day which are far more worthy of getting het up about.

Besides, I have never forgiven her for murdering a beautiful Dolly Parton song with that shouty over-souling.

kittycat1 Feb 12th 2012 8:37 am

Besides, I have never forgiven her for murdering a beautiful Dolly Parton song with that shouty over-souling.
Couldn't help but laugh at that!

co durham boy Feb 12th 2012 8:37 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9897443)
Co Durham Boy-

I completely disagree- It is a tradgey that so many people die from drug abuse and spend such a large part of their lives battling their addiction. I'm pretty sure no one takes drugs thinking- yeah this will kill me one day, everyone assumes it won't happen to them, the same as an alcoholic doesn't have their first drink thinking one day I'll be addicted and I'll put myself in an early grave and all my family and friends will disown me.

We all make stupid choices every now and again, luckily most of those choices don't result in a lifetime of drug abuse, but sadly for some it does. for me such a waste of a life is a tragedy.

And I don't think you can compare drug abuse to cancer- is it better or noble or acceptable to die from cancer compared to a drug overdose? Do you have more sympathy for someone that has died from cancer? What if they have smoked all their lives, or eaten unhealthily, or perhaps they are just unlucky to have cancer in their family history. What about someone that kills themselves- no sympathy for them either as they chose to- you wouldn't question their mental health and state of mind or give them sympathy for having something that has left them so desperate they feel their only option is to kill themselves? or perhaps you would? So why not question the life of a drug addict before you pass judgement, were they hooked on drugs because they couldn't cope with some part of their life, maybe they were abused, maybe they just can't cope so drugs are an escape from whatever part of their lives need escaping from? perhaps not, but every case is different for which you don't know all the information, who are you to say every preventable death deserves no compassion?

So what? she was another celeb who had a life of riley- she had every opportunity in life and still her life went down the shitter- life isn't always what it seems and celebrity and money doesn't make everything ok.

I respect your opinion but i don't buy your argument as i do not see her life as a tragedy . The tragedy is that she chose the pipe over her kid and her will to live , just like any other crack head .

I'll save my sympathy for those who deserve it . Addiction is not a disease , the phrase makes the addict feel better about the bucket of shit he or she is currently sitting in .

OleJanx Feb 12th 2012 8:48 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9897469)
I respect your opinion but i don't buy your argument as i do not see her life as a tragedy . The tragedy is that she chose the pipe over her kid and her will to live , just like any other crack head .

I'll save my sympathy for those who deserve it . Addiction is not a disease , the phrase makes the addict feel better about the bucket of shit he or she is currently sitting in .

This something that has always bemused me, addicts calling their problem a 'disease'. It isn't. Malaria is a disease. Addiction is usually a feeble excuse for a lack of self control and restraint, but it is not something that you contract through various means.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 12th 2012 8:59 am

Sad to see anyone that has done some positive for the world die.

BUT, public Karma is what this post deserves. You're bang on the money.

The Dean Feb 12th 2012 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9897463)
I'm with you on this & also agree with co durham boy about 'Diane syndrome'. Sad that a woman of just 48 has died so young, but the was largely the author of her own fate when she had so much going for her. I'm not upset as I didn't know her and didn't really like her music.

There are tragedies happening to non-famous people every day which are far more worthy of getting het up about.

Absolutely right - except Whitney never over-SOULed anything - she was about the third or fourth most talented member of her family (after cousin Dionne Warwick, auntie Thelma Houston and mummy Cissy Houston). I seem to remember Aretha was her godmother too, but my memory might be wrong on that one. They WERE/ARE soul singers.

Dolly Parton's original of that song was breathtakingly beautiful (well, she was a better singer anyway, so no surprise).

Meow Feb 12th 2012 9:56 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9897535)
Absolutely right - except Whitney never over-SOULed anything - she was about the third or fourth most talented member of her family (after cousin Dionne Warwick, auntie Thelma Houston and mummy Cissy Houston). I seem to remember Aretha was her godmother too, but my memory might be wrong on that one. They WERE/ARE soul singers.

Dolly Parton's original of that song was breathtakingly beautiful (well, she was a better singer anyway, so no surprise).

Just so you know, old man ;) over-souling is the term used for that anoying wobbling vibrato that too many singers use. Nothing to do with having soul. Whitney certainly didn't.

Dolly is a proper talent.

Bahtatboy Feb 12th 2012 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9897549)
Just so you know, old man ;) over-souling is the term used for that anoying wobbling vibrato that too many singers use. Nothing to do with having soul. Whitney certainly didn't.

I like Dolly.

kittycat1 Feb 12th 2012 10:45 am

I like Dolly.
Like?- LIKE???? - you LIKE dolly????? Dolly is f**king AWESOME- I LOVE Dolly :-) now there is a woman that has beaten the odds :thumbsup:

Can I get a few more question marks in ?????????????????????

The Dean Feb 12th 2012 11:46 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9897628)
Like?- LIKE???? - you LIKE dolly????? Dolly is f**king AWESOME- I LOVE Dolly :-) now there is a woman that has beaten the odds :thumbsup:

Can I get a few more question marks in ?????????????????????

Beaten the odds? She has also defied gravity..........

The Dean Feb 12th 2012 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9897549)

Yeah I did know - although it tends to be used for NON-soul singers showboating it up a bit. (Aguilera was accused of it a while back I seem to recall). Houston pretended to be a soul singer, but wasn't..... as we both agree.

Anyway, she's dead, so no problem.................. :o

co durham boy Feb 12th 2012 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9897695)
Yeah I did know - although it tends to be used for NON-soul singers showboating it up a bit. (Aguilera was accused of it a while back I seem to recall). Houston pretended to be a soul singer, but wasn't..... as we both agree.

Anyway, she's dead, so no problem.................. :o

Yeah , Kevin Costner has one night off and look what happens ....;)

Brains1983 Feb 12th 2012 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9897746)
Yeah , Kevin Costner has one night off and look what happens ....;)

follow up movie could be called "Bodybag"...

The Dean Feb 12th 2012 5:06 pm

Oh all right.............. in my view, her best-ever moment. Still relatively unknown, she duetted with the legend that was Teddy Pendergrass (who helped her - a lot - in her early days) on this. Sadly, I can't find a live video (I know they performed live together several times).

Spugsy Feb 12th 2012 5:41 pm

so do we actually know what she died of or are we speculating as usual?

Patsy Stoned Feb 12th 2012 7:13 pm

The Dean Feb 12th 2012 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9898269)

Hmmmm............ those fountains almost sound like they're... er... shouting....

The Dean Feb 12th 2012 7:48 pm

......... and here's a helpful, relevant and well-timed intervention from Tony Bennett............

http://uk.omg.yahoo.com/news/tony-be...121201309.html

:ohmy:

littlejimmy Feb 13th 2012 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9898131)

Well that's it in a nutshell. But at least it gives people the chance chance to tell us how perfect they and share their wisdom about (not to say judge) other people's lives...even if most of it is just idle supposition. I love the internet, me.

Blue Cat Feb 13th 2012 3:24 am

speculating on a long documented history of drug and alcohol abuse, sad either way, but I was never a huge fan. The outpouring of grief on twitter is pathetic, it made me log off for the majority of the day. Comments like a massive loss to the music industry? really? she hadn't recorded anything since 1997 and the last time I saw her live she was either stoned/pissed and couldn't remember her words.

Millhouse Feb 13th 2012 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9898837)
speculating on a long documented history of drug and alcohol abuse, sad either way, but I was never a huge fan. The outpouring of grief on twitter is pathetic, it made me log off for the majority of the day. Comments like a massive loss to the music industry? really? she hadn't recorded anything since 1997 and the last time I saw her live she was either stoned/pissed and couldn't remember her words.

When you logged off twitter for the day were there out crys of 'a massive loss to the social media industry' ??? :rofl:

co durham boy Feb 13th 2012 3:37 am

Of course we're specualting mate , i'm going for a coronary seizure brought on by a massive dose of cocaine over a short period of time with a large volume of alcohol , plus maybe a downer such as Diazapam or Qualuude which would have stopped her ticker .

I could be wrong though .