Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend thread

The Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend thread

Old Feb 16th 2013, 7:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: The Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend thread

Originally Posted by Eva
No.I am. I watched every moment of his Olympic journey and was humbled by
his performance/ achievements-outstanding.
For all those years of toil,track and triumph to come to this is tragic- for him mostly and for me and millions of others who root for the under dog.
Like you too S seeing as how you support that sailing club......
A lot of people work very hard to get we're they want to go and face challenges. His was of course impressive. I agree with TheDean re: shouldn't ever have competed in the Olympics.

I guess it is tragic but (apparently) he chose this path.

I think I get your last line
Old Feb 16th 2013, 7:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mentalist
I completely disagree. In my humble opinion, Oscar has shown to all disabled athletes that they too can perform at the highest level. So you don't believe that a non-league football team should be allowed to play in an FA Cup final on principle? As for Scamp, enough with the tasteless jokes, please
Pick on someone your own size. That or at least be consistent and moan at everyone.

FA cup analogy is different. It's like asking why a bloke with one arm and one leg isn't an England international? Because Rooney is better.

Pistorious shouldn't have competed at the Olympics for two reasons.

1: he completely undermined the Paralympic Games as the pinnacle for a disabled athlete.
2: he looked stupid because he wasn't quick enough.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Did he finish long way last a la Eric the Eel, Eddie the Eagle and Sarah Attar then? Can't recall.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:04 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
No.I am. I watched every moment of his Olympic journey and was humbled by
his performance/ achievements-outstanding.
For all those years of toil,track and triumph to come to this is tragic- for him mostly and for me and millions of others who root for the under dog.
Like you too S seeing as how you support that sailing club......
How is it mostly tragic for him? Isn't it mostly tragic for the family and loved ones of the woman he shot dead? And please explain how it's tragic at all for you? Did/do you know these people? Were you equally devestated by the Lance Armstrong "tragedy"?

Disappointing maybe that this man who people looked up to has fallen from his pedestal, but hardly tragic for a bunch of random strangers who root for the underdog.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Did he finish long way last a la Eric the Eel, Eddie the Eagle and Sarah Attar then? Can't recall.
From memory, no but think he came last.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:48 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

A good forensic team should be able to unravel the 'surprised by a burglar' story one way or another. There should be cameras around the place to determine the time between her arrival and shooting, they should be able to trace movements, etc. At this stage any scenario is possible and I would not dismiss the 'surprised by a burglar' scenario until we see the evidence. The only issue is that most likely the police aren't that competent so there is likely to be an inconclusive investigation.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:53 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How is it mostly tragic for him? Isn't it mostly tragic for the family and loved ones of the woman he shot dead? And please explain how it's tragic at all for you? Did/do you know these people? Were you equally devestated by the Lance Armstrong "tragedy"?

Disappointing maybe that this man who people looked up to has fallen from his pedestal, but hardly tragic for a bunch of random strangers who root for the underdog.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future

I see what Pistorius is doing. He is going to jail for 25 year and when he gets released...Bang! President of South Africa. That's how it works over there, right?
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by expathopeful
I see what Pistorius is doing. He is going to jail for 25 year and when he gets released...Bang! President of South Africa. That's how it works over there, right?
Nah. He's white. He's had his chance.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:17 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

When I heard a legless sportsman had come home and assaulted his wife, I instantly felt worried for sheryl gascoigne
Old Feb 16th 2013, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Pistorious shouldn't have competed at the Olympics for two reasons.

1: he completely undermined the Paralympic Games as the pinnacle for a disabled athlete.
Didn't he reach the semi-finals of the 400 metres in the Olympics? You are insulting so many of his competitors by suggesting that he looked stupid.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
When I heard a legless sportsman had come home and assaulted his wife, I instantly felt worried for sheryl gascoigne
Old Feb 16th 2013, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mentalist
Didn't he reach the semi-finals of the 400 metres in the Olympics? You are insulting so many of his competitors by suggesting that he looked stupid.
I'm not insulting any of them.

He shouldn't have been there because of the way it means he looks at te Paralympics. At which didn't he lose or just spend time moaning about another guys blades?
Old Feb 16th 2013, 5:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Second in the first heat and last in the second heat of the 400m and in the 4x400 relay came 8th out of 9 in the second heat/semi.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 7:50 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
I lost all respect for him when he decided to compete (even going as far as legal action) in the 'regular' Olympics (and I have nothing but contempt for the IOC officials who cravenly allowed it).

By doing so, he immediately devalued the Paralympics - from that moment on, the Paralympics became the competition for those disabled athletes unlucky enough to be 'not good enough' for the main event. It ceased to be the pinnacle of their careers because, however well they performed, there was always going to be the 'yes, well done, but Oscar made it to the real Olympics' syndrome to overcome.
He was the best sprinter the South African Olympic Team had at at the time therefore disabled or not, he qualified to represent his country.
Why shouldn't Paralympic athletes making the qualifying times etc be allowed to compete at the regular games?.I disagree totally with your suggestion that he devalued the games or other competitors' performances. Remember Baron de Coubertin's words?
Maybe he just wanted to push himself that bit further and inspire others along the way....he knew he wouldn't 't win after all but as an Olympian, maybe he just wanted to take part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.