Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

One job, 300 applicants

One job, 300 applicants

Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default One job, 300 applicants

Scamp - what's the quickest way of filtering through all this shit?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:17 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One job, 300 applicants

Originally Posted by Millhouse
All in the bin, who needs another new enemy. Increase the workload on the other Indians to compensate
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
All in the bin, who needs another new enemy. Increase the workload on the other Indians to compensate
Actually weasel that is my view. My boss wants a senior hire (to promote himself further), but I have been pushing for mid-career one (so I can control them).

fun and games.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Set up a rule on your inbox to send all applications with the reference to a certain folder.

Open folder

Locate the button to the right (over a gap) of your 'Enter' key...it's called delete.

Hover finger over 'delete'

Click on first email so it appears in the reading pane

Click on attached CV so that it previews in reading pane.

If it doesn't format well in reading pane, smash that hovering finger down.
If the name isn't right, smash it down.
If the CV is hard to read, covered in bold, covered in highlighted text, smash it down.
If within 3 seconds you don't want to read more, smash it.

Just get that finger warm and you'll get through 300 in about 15 mins.

BUT whatever you do, don't just delete them. Worst thing you can do because you might get rid of the nugget of a candidates who applied and is actually good. It's the killer fact.

Don't forget - hover, hover, hover, SMASH.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:42 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Actually weasel that is my view. My boss wants a senior hire (to promote himself further), but I have been pushing for mid-career one (so I can control them).

fun and games.
Hire the best best candidate in the 300, one of those ambitious mother****ers, career driven, sell his grandmother, one with an mba and all that shit.
Soon your boss will be spending more time looking over his own shoulder to this guy and will actively plot with you to get rid of him.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Hire the best best candidate in the 300, one of those ambitious mother****ers, career driven, sell his grandmother, one with an mba and all that shit.
Soon your boss will be spending more time looking over his own shoulder to this guy and will actively plot with you to get rid of him.
I think Millhouse should phone them all and ask the Indian-flummoxing (sp) question of "why are you looking for a new position?"

The first person who doesn't say "better opportunity" get's the job. I bet you a pint you don't hire anyone.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

so far, all I have done is sort the list by age.

All the male candidates below 35 have been rejected. All of the female candidates above 30 have been rejected.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:52 am
Knee deep and rising

All the male candidates below 35 have been rejected. All of the female candidates above 30 have been rejected.
By god if this doesn't give me faith in the hiring process nothing will
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:01 am
Account Closed

Hahahahahah! That's brilliant.

Why not get someone that works for you to sift through them, someone unscrupulous and deceitful. Any they reject will probably be quite good.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Hahahahahah! That's brilliant.

Why not get someone that works for you to sift through them, someone unscrupulous and deceitful. Any they reject will probably be quite good.
Sadly, I am that person.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:16 am
Account Closed

Sadly, I am that person.
Awkward.

Read my first post again. It's the quickest way. Don't just delete though, there might just be the one in there.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Do you reject ex-sportsmonkeys outright for the high probability of incompetence and corruption?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beakersful
Do you reject ex-sportsmonkeys outright for the high probability of incompetence and corruption?
Yes.

I have also the dubious task of biasing my selection as follows:

1) someone from Africa or Emirati (there will be none of the latter)
2) female
3) gay / lesbian (doesn't always come through on the CV, I have to read the hobbies)
4) other non-white
5) not from South-Asia

and then squaring this with my personal objectives of:
1) good looking with dubious morals
2) someone I can control
3) good written English. I'm fed up re-writing stuff.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

3) good written English. I'm fed up re-writing stuff.
You're ****ed then. The very best you can hope for here is an affinity for the wrong big words used in incomprehensibly long sentences, followed by a shotgun full of punctuation fired at them from the other side of the room.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 12:42 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes.

3) gay / lesbian (doesn't always come through on the CV, I have to read the hobbies)
Hobbies eh? What are the giveaways?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.