Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Oh. My. God. Skyfall.............

Oh. My. God. Skyfall.............

Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh. My. God. Skyfall.............

Originally Posted by captainflack
Maybe i am the only person in the world who thought Skyfall was shit?

Bond 'dies' by being shot off a train on a huge viaduct, and then falls into a river. How did he survive? Parachute? Mini-scuba mouthpiece?

Er... no. He just survived because he's er... quite a hardnut and pretty lucky.

The whole episode of his death was totally pointless from the plot point of view. You Only Live Twice did it all much better.

What a total let down. Never thought I'd say it, but I'd sooner see a Irish bloke with an invisible Aston than this sentimental pile of crap.
Or he survived because she only got him in the shoulder, but the force of the bullet was enough to knock him back far enough to fall off the train........

......... in fact, the very same thing happened to me a few years ago on the Charing Cross to Hastings...........
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Dry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura aboutDry as Dust has a spectacular aura about

Maybe i am the only person in the world who thought Skyfall was shit?

Bond 'dies' by being shot off a train on a huge viaduct, and then falls into a river. How did he survive? Parachute? Mini-scuba mouthpiece?

Er... no. He just survived because he's er... quite a hardnut and pretty lucky.

The whole episode of his death was totally pointless from the plot point of view. You Only Live Twice did it all much better.

What a total let down. Never thought I'd say it, but I'd sooner see a Irish bloke with an invisible Aston than this sentimental pile of crap.
You are not alone. Whole plot riddled with holes big enough to drive a train through. Unadulterated escapist crap. Occasional laugh but that was about it!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:33 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Er, it's a film; it's fiction; not a documentary.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:40 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dry as Dust
You are not alone. Whole plot riddled with holes big enough to drive a train through. Unadulterated escapist crap. Occasional laugh but that was about it!
"A necessary part of film watching is suspension of disbelief." Not sure who said that (me?), but I agree with it as a fundamental. However, I watching any film that is so unbelievable does, for me, diminish it. Having said that, real life often requires equal--if not greater--suspension of disbelief...
Old Nov 4th 2012, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dry as Dust
WHAT holes in the plot?
Old Nov 4th 2012, 2:58 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Or he survived because she only got him in the shoulder, but the force of the bullet was enough to knock him back far enough to fall off the train.........
Did the bullet in the shoulder help cushion his 400ft fall and give him the kiss of life after drowning too?
Old Nov 4th 2012, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did the bullet in the shoulder help cushion his 400ft fall and give him the kiss of life after drowning too?
Nonsense. Watch it again.............
Old Nov 4th 2012, 3:36 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

WHAT holes in the plot?
Where do I start...

What purpose did it serve in the plot for Bond to 'die' and disappear for several months? It contributed nothing to the story. He could have just landed, twisted his ankle and turned up back for work on Monday. This is even aside from the lack of explanation of how he fell 400ft into a river, unconscious and somehow survived.

Why did Bond, after dying, just stay in Turkey and lie low? He didn't seem to care much for his duty, he only came back because MI6 was attacked and (we find out) M is his surrogate mother figure. Fair enough, but he's done plenty of gritty and nasty things for his country even in just the last two films and I am sure he will after this film. But in this one, he only seems to care about M rather than his country/duty.

Why does the villain deliberately get himself captured by Bond and placed in a cell in MI6's new secret HQ so he can get his laptop to spring him again? What was the point of that?

His laptop opens the cell doors, but how did he fight his way out past armed security guards?

Bond gets Q to lay a trail for the baddie to follow to his ancestral home in Scotland, so he, M and his old gamekeeper can take on the baddie and his legions of tooled-up armed thugs with some Macgyver style improvised bombs and an old shotgun on two. Why not get Q to send in a helicopter or two of ninja-trained commandos to help him out?

Bond has the old goldfinger 60s Aston, complete with ejector seat and machine guns, in a lock up garage. How and why does he have this? It wouldn't have been his contemporary car in this reboot (he's too young), so why does he have it or have access to it?

You could maybe overlook these points if it had brilliant iconic stunts or scenes, but there was nothing in this film that will be remembered.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 3:43 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

Nonsense. Watch it again.............
Here ya go

http://www.zimbio.com/Beyond+the+Box...f+Moving+Train

They don't show the bit where he floats unconscious down the river.

Someone fishes him out, fine.

That doesn't explain why he doesn't break every bone in his body, or drown.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hmmm............ now I need to see it again. I had the impression that he 'died' with the full knowledge of MI6. Anyway......... holes in plots? Many 'great' movies have/had them. Take the great John Ford Western 'Stagecoach' - the Injuns would have shot the horses to stop the coach, obviously, but then there wouldn't have been a magnificent movie, would there?

Last edited by The Dean; Nov 4th 2012 at 3:49 pm. Reason: sp
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:00 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

For Christ's sake. It's a film. It's fiction. Anyone that takes issue with the latest Bond must hate 90% of films ever made if they are after realism and plausibility.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

But they also get to feel clever by pointing out the holes (and missing the point)
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:03 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

Hmmm............ now I need to see it again. I had the impression that he 'died' with the full knowledge of MI6.
M clearly didn't know he was alive. It was quite clear when she was writing his obituary on her own that she genuinely thought he was dead. When he came back, they didn't use the fact he was assumed dead in any clever way to suggest they might have been complicit in the ruse.

The whole point of Bond movies is that he survives through a bit of luck, but mainly by ingenuity and some clever gadgets. If he skies off a cliff, he has a parachute. If he 'dies', it's because it's part of a plan to fake it. If he falls out of a plane without a parachute, he needs to rip one off someone else or skydive into another plane, etc. Having him just survive because he's just tough defeats the whole point of the character, which is that he's clever and resourceful.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Where do I start...

What purpose did it serve in the plot for Bond to 'die' and disappear for several months? It contributed nothing to the story. He could have just landed, twisted his ankle and turned up back for work on Monday. This is even aside from the lack of explanation of how he fell 400ft into a river, unconscious and somehow survived.

Why did Bond, after dying, just stay in Turkey and lie low? He didn't seem to care much for his duty, he only came back because MI6 was attacked and (we find out) M is his surrogate mother figure. Fair enough, but he's done plenty of gritty and nasty things for his country even in just the last two films and I am sure he will after this film. But in this one, he only seems to care about M rather than his country/duty.

Why does the villain deliberately get himself captured by Bond and placed in a cell in MI6's new secret HQ so he can get his laptop to spring him again? What was the point of that?

His laptop opens the cell doors, but how did he fight his way out past armed security guards?

Bond gets Q to lay a trail for the baddie to follow to his ancestral home in Scotland, so he, M and his old gamekeeper can take on the baddie and his legions of tooled-up armed thugs with some Macgyver style improvised bombs and an old shotgun on two. Why not get Q to send in a helicopter or two of ninja-trained commandos to help him out?

Bond has the old goldfinger 60s Aston, complete with ejector seat and machine guns, in a lock up garage. How and why does he have this? It wouldn't have been his contemporary car in this reboot (he's too young), so why does he have it or have access to it?

You could maybe overlook these points if it had brilliant iconic stunts or scenes, but there was nothing in this film that will be remembered.
Having not yet seen the movie, you appear to have revealed most of the plot so I probably won't bother going to the cinema and watching it now, thanks. At least I can buy a good bottle of wine instead.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:08 am
Bored liberal

Much as I hate to agree with Mentalist, it's not fair to reveal the plot of a new film that has only recently been released.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.