Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Now I'm very much against any sort of racism...

Now I'm very much against any sort of racism...

Old Mar 31st 2009, 7:59 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Now I'm very much against any sort of racism...

....but tell me, is what David Jason said offensive? Surely it is just a play on words, or using a pakistani name?

from bbc:

Jason 'sorry' for Pakistani joke

Sir David Jason's comment was edited out of the show's podcast

Actor Sir David Jason has apologised for a joke he made about Pakistanis on Tuesday morning on national radio.

Speaking on Christian O'Connell's Absolute Radio show the day after the joke was broadcast, the star said it was a "silly little play on words".

He added: "It seems that someone has taken offence or someone is upset by it and for that of course I'm sorry."

Despite no complaints having been made to the station, an Absolute spokeswoman said the joke was "unacceptable".

"The comments made by David Jason were unacceptable and Christian O'Connell distanced himself from them live on air.

"We consider the views of our listeners to be very important and have received no complaints about these comments.

"We will continue to monitor any complaints and Christian O'Connell will issue an on-air apology in tomorrow's breakfast show."

Before the 69-year-old Only Fools and Horses appeared for the second time on the radio, a spokeswoman said he had been "horrified" when hearing he had "given offence".

"He hadn't thought it was a racist joke, but if people took it that way, he's very sorry about it."

Speaking live on air on Tuesday, Sir David said: "What do you call a Pakistani cloakroom attendant?"

After a pause, he said: "Mahatma coat."

The comment was edited out of the show before it was put on the Absolute website as a podcast.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Now I'm very much against any sort of racism...

Originally Posted by Spugsy
is what David Jason said offensive?
No. Which is why no one sensible complained.

Surely it is just a play on words, or using a pakistani name?
Almost... its a play on an Indian name... Mahatma is a Sanskrit word, not Urdu.

Despite no complaints having been made to the station, an Absolute spokeswoman said the joke was "unacceptable".
[...]
"We consider the views of our listeners to be very important and have received no complaints about these comments.
WTF. No one complained, no one took offence, so why the heck is the BBC getting its lefty pink knickers in a twist?! Political correctness gone stark raving bonkers...
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

This is ridiculous.
It's a crap joke but in no way derogatory to anyone and there have been no complaints. The BBC are just giving a knee-jerk reaction because the joke had the word 'Pakistani' in it.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:14 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
This is ridiculous.
It's a crap joke but in no way derogatory to anyone and there have been no complaints. The BBC are just giving a knee-jerk reaction because the joke had the word 'Pakistani' in it.
aye its ridiculous, people are now scared of saying anything at all.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:15 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

This is ridiculous.
What do you call a Scottish cloakroom attendant

Angus McOatup.

Is that racist?
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

No, but you'd better make an apology anyway, just in case....
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:20 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

No, but you'd better make an apology anyway, just in case....
I'm sorry. The joke was crap, I'll do better next time.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:33 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

bl--dy hell that joke is as old as the hills! if you dredged back through some of the ronnie barker stuff and even the open all hours series, am sure you'd find some pretty 'offensive' material too. so does that stop aunty from playing them as re-runs?
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:43 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
bl--dy hell that joke is as old as the hills! if you dredged back through some of the ronnie barker stuff and even the open all hours series, am sure you'd find some pretty 'offensive' material too. so does that stop aunty from playing them as re-runs?
alf garnett was the best....
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:24 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking

Angus McOatup.

Is that racist?
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:38 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking

Angus McOatup.

Is that racist?
Just shows that Scots patter is better than English.....
Old Mar 31st 2009, 10:23 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Just shows that Scots patter is better than English.....
...but just as old...
Old Mar 31st 2009, 11:17 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by commander
alf garnett was the best....
How about the Colonel in Fawlty Towers about certain cricketer teams "No, they are not n*ggers, they are w*gs!"

I am quoting so don't ban me.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by eylesda
How about the Colonel in Fawlty Towers about certain cricketer teams
the Major...talking about the Indians at Lord's
Old Mar 31st 2009, 11:40 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

....but tell me, is what David Jason said offensive? Surely it is just a play on words, or using a pakistani name?

from bbc:

Jason 'sorry' for Pakistani joke

Sir David Jason's comment was edited out of the show's podcast

Actor Sir David Jason has apologised for a joke he made about Pakistanis on Tuesday morning on national radio.

Speaking on Christian O'Connell's Absolute Radio show the day after the joke was broadcast, the star said it was a "silly little play on words".

He added: "It seems that someone has taken offence or someone is upset by it and for that of course I'm sorry."

"The comments made by David Jason were unacceptable and Christian O'Connell distanced himself from them live on air.

"We will continue to monitor any complaints and Christian O'Connell will issue an on-air apology in tomorrow's breakfast show."

Before the 69-year-old Only Fools and Horses appeared for the second time on the radio, a spokeswoman said he had been "horrified" when hearing he had "given offence".

"He hadn't thought it was a racist joke, but if people took it that way, he's very sorry about it."

Speaking live on air on Tuesday, Sir David said: "What do you call a Pakistani cloakroom attendant?"

After a pause, he said: "Mahatma coat."

The comment was edited out of the show before it was put on the Absolute website as a podcast.
the world has gone too politically correct....

I saw the other day that Obama when asked about his ten pin bowling prowess on the Jay Leno show, likened his highest score of 127 to 'the special olympics' and was slated for it

It was just a joke, and at the end of the day, the special olympics are crap, so what did he say that wasnt true ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.