Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

"New Dubai airport seeks to eliminate check-ins"

"New Dubai airport seeks to eliminate check-ins"

Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default "New Dubai airport seeks to eliminate check-ins"

From www.menafn.com

Bold move............. sensible too......... but will it work?

http://www.menafn.com/qn_news_story_...yId=1093199166
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "New Dubai airport seeks to eliminate check-ins"

I find check in the worst part of the whole flying experience so I certainly hope it does work. In any case it is a logical progression from e-tickets but I suppose there will still be a need for conventional check in desks for the technologically challenged. Just so long as I don't have to use them....
Old Jun 5th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Emirates already have the facility of check in at home and bag drop in business.

But you often find that people are at the bag drop with problems/issues etc, so the familiar queue can sometimes form even then..
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by admon
But you often find that people are at the bag drop with problems/issues etc, so the familiar queue can sometimes form even then..
One of the main parts of check-in is weighing the bags and tagging them - so as Admon notes, the 'bag drop' just becomes the check-in (if you have bags, which I dare say the majority do).

Other than that, traditional check-in gives you a boarding card and verbal reminder of gate and boarding time - yes e-tickets avoid that.

But surely the airlines still have to ask "did you pack this bag?" etc. and check your travel documents and visas, as they become responsible if they take you somewhere you are not allowed to enter?

So I'm not sure there is much to be gained from eliminating 'check-in', except for domestic flights (or within visa free zones) with a high proportion of carry on bags.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all

Much as aiports try, they will never be able to kill off the traditional desk.

The 'fast-bag' drop has simply moved the pinch point becuase the same problems exist:
  • Excess baggage
  • incorrect travel documents
  • non travelling people getting involved in the check in process

This problem is worse in some parts of the world than others - I won't insult you by expanding on who the culprits typically are.

Kiosks and fast bag drop should be kept for those with hand baggage (of the correct size!) only and those with standard baggage hold requirements.

Everyone else should use the desks. Problem is there is now a trend to get rid of the desks - to unclutter the airport. It just won't work in some airports.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 10:26 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Weve just been told as staff that we must check in on-line from 1st June, even if travellng standby - don't know how that is going to work??
Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Weve just been told as staff that we must check in on-line from 1st June, even if travellng standby - don't know how that is going to work??
The cabin crew have to check in?????????

And the pilots???????

"Sorry sir, you should have checked in earlier....... that single seat at the front with the nice view out of the front window has already been taken by a Gold Card holder........"
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

And the pilots???????

"Sorry sir, you should have checked in earlier....... that single seat at the front with the nice view out of the front window has already been taken by a Gold Card holder........"
hahahaha...can you imagine...!!

MM, xx
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

And the pilots???????

Ha ha - too funny!!!

I wouldn't mind that seat in this plane though!

http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/cockpit1.htm
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:29 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Ha ha - too funny!!!

I wouldn't mind that seat in this plane though!

http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/cockpit1.htm
Not much leg room though and the IFE doesn't look very intersting
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:19 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daz968
The 'fast-bag' drop has simply moved the pinch point becuase the same problems exist
We once queued for nearly an hour at the fast bag drop desk at DXB because there was some problem with the documents of the people at the head of the line. It would have been slightly quicker just to join the normal check-in queue.

That said, it's the only time we've had a bad experience using online check-in. When I flew back to the UK in March with only hand baggage, I think it took less than 10 minutes from getting out of the taxi to sitting down in the departure lounge, thanks to using one of the Emirates self-check-in terminals plus my E-Gate card.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all

...things will get batter as more and more people underatnd how it all works and travel more frequently (via the airport).

I remember the (early) days of doing a lot of travelling and I'd get frustrated at people who didn't have their passport / boarding ready at the appropriate points. It was simply because they didn't know the process.

As more passenger processing comes in (pinch points) peoples attitude / understanding has to adapt accordingly.

For those (lucky enough ??) to fly a lot, we get used to the process and know what to do (check in on-line, don't have excess baggage (or any at all) have the right documents, pack your toileteries correctly according to the local demands (plastic bags etc), take you laptop out of you bag in good time, take your coat off in good time, undo your laces, just in case you are asked to take off your shoes, the list goes on...

...funny thing is, I do this not for only my benefit, but for others as well, to help speed up the process. Some people are just plain argumentative and question everything they have to do and don't give a sh*t about who is behind them...

rant over