Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

New car batteries keep going flat?

New car batteries keep going flat?

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

sophia6396 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New car batteries keep going flat?

I am just baffled, my car has gone flat on me on two occasions today, I bought it brand new (Hyundai Tucson) only 12 months ago... is this normal? I am going to try calling the dealership tomorrow and just wanted to know if I have an argument.. I don't have breakdown cover on my insurance either and its not sparking up again ( currently in my apartment car park).
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 7:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car batteries keep going flat?

Originally Posted by sophia6396
I am just baffled, my car has gone flat on me on two occasions today, I bought it brand new (Hyundai Tucson) only 12 months ago... is this normal? I am going to try calling the dealership tomorrow and just wanted to know if I have an argument.. I don't have breakdown cover on my insurance either and its not sparking up again ( currently in my apartment car park).
Battery is probably shot
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 7:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

or the alternator...
Old Oct 24th 2009, 2:04 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
or the alternator...
Here in Florida batteries struggle to last 2 years ...must be even worse there ...
Old Oct 24th 2009, 3:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Here in Florida batteries struggle to last 2 years ...must be even worse there ...
true, but even so, 12 months is taking the mick...alternator should be warrantied, battery probably not...

If the alternator ain't warranted, replace battery and keep the original for a couple weeks to see what happens, still dud, it's the alternator and return the battery...what my local garage suggested I do when I had the same issue....turned out to be dead battery....but when did they get so pricey? $150 was a laugh...one before I got was only $55
Old Oct 24th 2009, 4:03 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Bob
true, but even so, 12 months is taking the mick...alternator should be warrantied, battery probably not...

If the alternator ain't warranted, replace battery and keep the original for a couple weeks to see what happens, still dud, it's the alternator and return the battery...what my local garage suggested I do when I had the same issue....turned out to be dead battery....but when did they get so pricey? $150 was a laugh...one before I got was only $55
Bob ..this is the ME ..these people shit $50 bills
Old Oct 24th 2009, 4:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ray
Bob ..this is the ME ..these people shit $50 bills
less painful than pissing them I suppose
Old Oct 24th 2009, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sophia6396
As someone said batteries dont last more than 18 months here, especially the cheaper asian ones. However I guess you have 3 choices.

1. Dive right in and replace the battery for 150-200 Dhms. May not be the fault though!

2. Get someone to take off the +ve terminal from the battery and with nothing switched on get a DC current meter and put in series with the +ve lead and the battery and see if anything is drawing current which shouldnt happen if ignition is off and no lights on..all doors shut for example.
I know you wont have a meter but that could be the fault.

3. If the alternator has failed there should be a red light on the instrument panel showing when the engine is running. I know you now have a flat battery so you need a friend or someone with jump leads to get you started so you can check if the red warning light is on to show the alternator is not charging!

Or get a garage to help.

Good luck!

Jim.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:24 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
As someone said batteries dont last more than 18 months here, especially the cheaper asian ones. However I guess you have 3 choices.

1. Dive right in and replace the battery for 150-200 Dhms. May not be the fault though!

2. Get someone to take off the +ve terminal from the battery and with nothing switched on get a DC current meter and put in series with the +ve lead and the battery and see if anything is drawing current which shouldnt happen if ignition is off and no lights on..all doors shut for example.
I know you wont have a meter but that could be the fault.

3. If the alternator has failed there should be a red light on the instrument panel showing when the engine is running. I know you now have a flat battery so you need a friend or someone with jump leads to get you started so you can check if the red warning light is on to show the alternator is not charging!

Or get a garage to help.

Good luck!

Jim.
my battery is nearly 3, says looking to touch wood
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:29 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

...or get a car that won't leave you "Hy un Drai".
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:32 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
...or get a car that won't leave you "Hy un Drai".
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:23 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
my battery is nearly 3, says looking to touch wood
It'll fail soon.

My prado just popped its clogs...nearly 4 years old
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:46 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by commander
It'll fail soon.

I keep thinking that everyday, doing well though
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:43 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I keep thinking that everyday, doing well though
err it wont really give you much warning!! id seriously change it.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 1:21 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
It'll fail soon.

So did mine after he same time...just changed the battery for a new one. No problems now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.