National ID

Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default National ID

So my company finally got my residence visa sorted this week, I'm all happy and go to the police with all the papers to convert my driving license, they tell me I need the National ID in order to do so!

Already pissed that I just spend 3 hours going to the police station, waiting in line and going back home I call to the National ID thingy to make an apointment, only to be told that they are fully booked for the coming 3 months and that I need to try again in a few weeks or so!

How on earth am I going to get a license now?

Last edited by Euc-; Dec 24th 2009 at 5:34 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National ID

Originally Posted by Euc-
So I got my company finally got my residence visa sorted this week, I'm all happy and go to the police with all the papers to convert my driving license, they tell me I need the National ID in order to do so!

Already pissed that I just spend 3 hours going to the police station, waiting in line and going back home I call to the National ID thingy to make an apointment, only to be told that they are fully booked for the coming 3 months and that I need to try again in a few weeks or so!

How on earth am I going to get a license now?
I think you go to more 'remote' locations (like in the northern emirates) where queues are less and get it sorted there.
Think there's been posts on it here in the past.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
I think you go to more 'remote' locations (like in the northern emirates) where queues are less and get it sorted there.
Think there's been posts on it here in the past.
I live in Ras Al Khaimah, not even Dubai!
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Oh - well that's my theory shot down.

I still haven't got mine yet....still not planning on bothering.
Dealt with police just recently for a matter that should have required one, but didn't.....so obviously not a big deal yet.
Not sure when my licence is up for renewal tho.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

sophia6396 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not bothering either especially after learning that the deadline isn't until December 2010!! I rang them to confirm
Old Dec 25th 2009, 5:47 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure they are right in demanding an ID card just to get a driving licence. Your residency visa should be enough. If you tell them you have made an appointment to get your ID card, that may suffice.
Old Dec 25th 2009, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

The rules get applied depending on how someone feels on that particuar day.

Good luck.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I am aware - you do not need your national ID card to renew a licence in any emirate unless you are a UAE national and then you need it for everything including immigration and the traffic department.

We did ours in UAQ and it took less than 1 hour for all 5 of us.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows when rules change, or how many hours' notice you get, and how many minutes of 'we'll overlook that' time there will be.

Best to at least register for the appointment.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

I thought only AD and Dubai had passed laws tying Emirates ID to registration and the like?

AD it is compulsory now to have an Emirates ID to re-register your car each year. They are slowly enforcing the ID.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

It was in gulfnews a few weeks ago that you need your ID card in all the northern emirates to do quite a few things, registering cars, opening bank accounts and getting a driving license..

I passed their office last week in the afternoon around 2 and decided to try my luck, went in, explained that I didn't have an appointment and that I did not bring the typed application as I read that you can do it there. Turns out they need to type it for you, costs 40dhs. Well fine, I was there anyway, received a ticket and got in line just after an PRO who brought about 50 labourers Ahwell, a very nice Brit of Indian origin sat next to me with his wife and we just started talking, finally it's my turn, they type my application and I pay the 40dhs. I go back to start and ask for a new ticket for the actual registration and the same lady tells me: "Oh I'm so sorry sir, we do not accept walk-ins after 8am" Me: ?! You couldn't tell me this 1 hour ago when I told you that I didn't have an appointment?

Decided to go and tell the Indian to save his money and go back home but the PRO overheard me telling this and said; ah no problem you can join with my company!

15 minutes later I was out
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

I go back to start and ask for a new ticket for the actual registration and the same lady tells me: "Oh I'm so sorry sir, we do not accept walk-ins after 8am" Me: ?! You couldn't tell me this 1 hour ago when I told you that I didn't have an appointment?
Glad it worked out...but the quote i've taken above is so typical of this place.

Can't think for themselves.

Hope I don't need an ID card to leave.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:00 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Having just had my Residency renewed, I thought Id bite the bullet and see about getting this damn ID card. Just had a look atthere website and spotted somethng that may well mean I wait till it gets a little cooler...

Important Notes:

Registration fees of children below 15 (all nationalities) is AED 70 in addition to AED 70 as service fees.
The customer is not required to attend to the Typing Center himself, but he/she must visit the registration center himself to finalize ID registration procedures (photographing + fingerprinting).
People over 15 must bring the Typing Center receipt together with the original passport.
Colored contact lenses and hand henna are not allowed at the time of registration.
The customer must wear the official uniform of his/her homeland.
Names and addresses of Emirates ID authorized Typing Centers.
Any additional amounts required by the typing centers, other than amounts stated above, are not legal and such centers will be legally accountable for that. Emirates ID reserves the right to take all legal and administrative actions against centers colleting additional fees.

Wasn't planning on wearing the kilt till the winter months, but looks like I'll have to dig it out....
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

I went along last week to the Abu Dhabi ID centre in Mussafah, waited just over 2hrs and was given a receipt and told that the plastic card would be ready in 4-5 weeks time.

The following day I went along to the driving license place nr Airport Road Carrefour and gave them all the papers along with a copy of the ID receipt and my UK license. I got the UAE license on the spot, no waiting and no hassles at all.

ps I'm half Welsh, but left the wellies at home, and the lack of uniform wasn't a big deal for them

Last edited by Oyibopeppeh; Sep 7th 2010 at 1:14 pm. Reason: forgot a piece of vitally important information
Old Sep 7th 2010, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
I went along last week to the Abu Dhabi ID centre in Mussafah, waited just over 2hrs and was given a receipt and told that the plastic card would be ready in 4-5 weeks time.
Don't you have a wife and kid(s) over here? Presumably you got their's sorted at the same time. How was it for them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.