Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Moving or sound proofing....

Moving or sound proofing....

Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:45 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving or sound proofing....

....ok we live in a nice 2 bed villa in Mirdif, we pay AED120k which is a decent price, all is good except the bloody planes, I can sleep ok but it is sometimes a broken sleep and it can be a pain when you have to stop the tv show you're watching for 10 seconds whilst they go over,

thing is now we have a cat I don't want to live in some high rise somewhere,

so what would we get for say AED145k? Oh and I work in Jumeirah and mrs spugsy in deira.

And if not, is it possible to soundproof these villas at all? If we stay for another 2 years then it wouldn't be too bad for us to pay for soundproofing, even though its not our villa and we'd basically lose that cash.

Anyone?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving or sound proofing....

Originally Posted by Spugsy
....ok we live in a nice 2 bed villa in Mirdif, we pay AED120k which is a decent price, all is good except the bloody planes, I can sleep ok but it is sometimes a broken sleep and it can be a pain when you have to stop the tv show you're watching for 10 seconds whilst they go over,

so what would we get for say AED145k? Oh and I work in Jumeirah and mrs spugsy in deira.

And if not, is it possible to soundproof these villas at all? If we stay for another 2 years then it wouldn't be too bad for us to pay for soundproofing, even though its not our villa and we'd basically lose that cash.

Anyone?
My recommendation is that you stay where you are. There is always some noise to disturb you here in Dubai, whether its construction work, traffic noise, the bloody air-conditioning or (in our case) the mosque across the road. We even get woken-up by cat fights every once in a while, just like at home.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:52 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

oh I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with the planes...
no idea about the soundproofing...
but finding a villa in Jumeirah for that price is a big no no...
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:09 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
yeah I know, we do like it where we are but ti can be a pain, when we had that night at hatta fort hotel is was pure bliss, I had the best, deepest sleep in ages.

What if we double glazed the windows? would that make a difference?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:10 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by MataHari
also I was at my mates last night in bur dubai, next to the golden sands apartments,

Jesus man, I could never live there, it was like downtown bangkok, but in a bad way - way, way too busy and noisy.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

You could move in next door to me in Mirdiff, we arent on the flight path however a work colleague is and shit the bed, the noise is unbelievable!

I can still hear the planes but it never disturbes my sleep now...

As for sound proofing a bottle of vodka a night should do the trick.... not good for your health though!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy

Anyone?
I've been searching through the ads in Gulf news for the last couple of weeks for a smaller place. A 2 bed villa in Springs would cost you circa 200k, when they are available and as for Arabian Ranches, rents have shot up since the new interchange opened.
With my new job, we get provided a villa which will be in Mirdiff, and hopefully the noise will not be much of a problem.
Not sure if you can get secondary glazing over here, but that might be cheaper and worth a try, otherwise I would think if you move you are looking around the 200k mark.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scarletfan
I've been searching through the ads in Gulf news for the last couple of weeks for a smaller place. A 2 bed villa in Springs would cost you circa 200k, when they are available and as for Arabian Ranches, rents have shot up since the new interchange opened.
With my new job, we get provided a villa which will be in Mirdiff, and hopefully the noise will not be much of a problem.
Not sure if you can get secondary glazing over here, but that might be cheaper and worth a try, otherwise I would think if you move you are looking around the 200k mark.
I know you've been around for a while (trying not to sound patronising) you might just get used to it. I came from a city house and found Rashidiya to be very quiet - planes included. Otherhalf came from a rural home and took about 2 years to get used to it, but did in the end.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

"...a work colleague ... shit the bed, the noise is unbelievable!"

Blimey - you could hear him shitting the bed from next door?????
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:42 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Cry haddock
I know you've been around for a while (trying not to sound patronising) you might just get used to it. I came from a city house and found Rashidiya to be very quiet - planes included. Otherhalf came from a rural home and took about 2 years to get used to it, but did in the end.
well its been 5 months or so now, its bearable - but do I want bearable?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:43 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

stay put Spugsy, you won't get anything near as good for the money you are paying. You can triple glaze windows, not sure who does it though my parents apartment has been done and you can't hear the traffic anymore.
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
You could move in next door to me in Mirdiff, we arent on the flight path however a work colleague is and shit the bed, the noise is unbelievable!

I can still hear the planes but it never disturbes my sleep now...

As for sound proofing a bottle of vodka a night should do the trick.... not good for your health though!
yeah maybe we'll look around mirdfi but somewhere else, I know a couple who live a bit further away from us, they have a lovely 2 bed house, little garden - but in the summer months, and I shit(!) you not, if you are outside the place smells of shit - from international city,

we had a bbq there and we had to come inside, it was rank.
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
stay put Spugsy, you won't get anything near as good for the money you are paying. You can triple glaze windows, not sure who does it though my parents apartment has been done and you can't hear the traffic anymore.
hmmm may look into that, may speak to the landlord, although over here they'll probably fall out after a few weeks...
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:44 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

145 will just about get you a 2 bed in a high rise, stay put mate it aint worth moving
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:44 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by The Dean
"...a work colleague ... shit the bed, the noise is unbelievable!"

Blimey - you could hear him shitting the bed from next door?????
he must have had a big old curry...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.