Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dubai from Abu

Moving to Dubai from Abu

Old Jul 24th 2016, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dubai from Abu

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Well, I hope not.

Given that I haven't received any tickets in the last 18 months I don't think that's the case. The signs are still marked 120 all the way to the Marina, except for where they're building the flyovers for the new Bollywood theme park. The only area where it's still 120km max is by the Deerfields shopping centre just before Yas (100 + 20km grace).
Change on the way though?

http://m.gulfnews.com/dubai-police-propose-cutting-speed-limits-on-the-road-to-curb-accidents-1.1189703
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pongo
Isn't the max speed limit 120kph now on the Dubai section of the road?
Care to throw some more light on this?

Changes in radar limits are clearly announced in media, or so I think ...

However last time I went to Dubai, which is few days back, I could have sworn I got flashed at less than 135 twice in Jebel Ali way south of Bin Batuta ....

first time I thought I was imagining as I was at 135 and the limit has been 140 for as long as I can remember, but slowed down to 130 and still got flashed
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:57 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Change on the way though?

GulfNews
Speed has never killed anyone though, stopping has!
Old Jul 25th 2016, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
Care to throw some more light on this?

Changes in radar limits are clearly announced in media, or so I think ...

However last time I went to Dubai, which is few days back, I could have sworn I got flashed at less than 135 twice in Jebel Ali way south of Bin Batuta ....

first time I thought I was imagining as I was at 135 and the limit has been 140 for as long as I can remember, but slowed down to 130 and still got flashed
The signs as you enter Dubai Emirate say max 120, another poster has said that he doesn't get flashed going at 135 ??
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

The signs as you enter Dubai Emirate say max 120, another poster has said that he doesn't get flashed going at 135 ??

For the last 7 or 8 years, the speed limit on the stretch of highway from the Abu Dhabi border till just after Bin Batuta has been the official "120" and the "radar-flashing" 140.

I never got flashed at 135-140 all these years, until last week, when I got flashed twice, once at 135 and then again at 130 ......
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry until you get the actual fine.

I've been flashed once or twice at 140 to 145 but it's been months and I still haven't seen any traffic fines.

It may be another car near you that was the target.

Originally Posted by Maxima
For the last 7 or 8 years, the speed limit on the stretch of highway from the Abu Dhabi border till just after Bin Batuta has been the official "120" and the "radar-flashing" 140.

I never got flashed at 135-140 all these years, until last week, when I got flashed twice, once at 135 and then again at 130 ......
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:42 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Lived & worked in AD for 3 years, then lived in Dubai and worked in AD for 1 1/2 years. Office was just off the island, and I chose the Marina in order limit my exposure to SZR. Looked at Disco but found it horrendous. Make sure you experience entrance to / exit from SZR at the times you'll be travelling, plus the traffic around whichever building you live in. I chose a building more-or-less opposite Barasti (Sulafa Tower), and the travelling time to it from SZR, and vice versa, was usually around 5 minutes. Total travel time usually less than 1 hour, although a couple of times a month there'd be an incident which could double that. Be prepared to drive fast, and for a huge number of idiots who have no clue what safe driving is.

I enjoyed both AD and Dubai, and would live again in either if someone paid me enough, although I probably wouldn't chose to commute between them, especially if I was providing my own car or paying for my own fuel.

Marina was convenient and relatively good fun.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Lived & worked in AD for 3 years, then lived in Dubai and worked in AD for 1 1/2 years. Office was just off the island, and I chose the Marina in order limit my exposure to SZR. Looked at Disco but found it horrendous. Make sure you experience entrance to / exit from SZR at the times you'll be travelling, plus the traffic around whichever building you live in. I chose a building more-or-less opposite Barasti (Sulafa Tower), and the travelling time to it from SZR, and vice versa, was usually around 5 minutes. Total travel time usually less than 1 hour, although a couple of times a month there'd be an incident which could double that. Be prepared to drive fast, and for a huge number of idiots who have no clue what safe driving is.
Sulafa Tower were you in any of the aprts that went up in a blaze?