British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   This morning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/morning-780826/)

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 17th 2012 4:05 am

This morning

Took a little longer to get into work thanks to the rain (and folk driving with hazards + fog lights + a speed changing rapidly between 40-120kph + a fear of puddles)

I ****ing loved it. Glorious weather, great fun smashing through puddles.

I just hope it clears up a bit - I am meant to be playing 18 holes tonight and I know what Dubai is like; they'll ring and make us cancel because it's wet or something.

It's a long shot but I can only see it being cancelled by the club if there is lightning?

Robajob Dec 17th 2012 4:11 am

Re: This morning

Certainly getting me prepared for flying into Manchester on Saturday...

I don't think I've ever landed in Manchester when it isn't raining.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 17th 2012 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Robajob (Post 10437054)
Certainly getting me prepared for flying into Manchester on Saturday...

I don't think I've ever landed in Manchester when it isn't raining.

Is it ever not raining in Manchester?

Southampton is looking wet for when I'm back.

mikewot Dec 17th 2012 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10437064)
Southampton is looking wet for when I'm back.

Fareham also. Well Portchester actually.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 17th 2012 4:43 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10437068)
Fareham also. Well Portchester actually.

Shit the bed. Round the corner from Dad's place.

I'm contemplating a trip that way (a sister is somewhere in Cosham, eurgh) but worth it to get to Mother Kelly's for some of their nuggets.

mikewot Dec 17th 2012 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10437072)
Round the corner from Dad's place.

Big place is it, near the sea, massive walls and a church in the grounds? ;)

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10437072)
I'm contemplating a trip that way (a sister is somewhere in Cosham, eurgh) but worth it to get to Mother Kelly's for some of their nuggets.

My MIL sometimes eats there which says it all for me. Much better chippie and takeaway Chinese on White Hart Lane.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 17th 2012 4:56 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10437077)
Big place is it, near the sea, massive walls and a church in the grounds? ;)
My MIL sometimes eats there which says it all for me. Much better chippie and takeaway Chinese on White Hart Lane.

Nah, just Port Solent...

I've not eaten there in years, it used to be something Dad and I did so probably rose-tinted memories rather than anything else. Although, the nuggets are good, I'm sure of that.

mikewot Dec 17th 2012 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10437087)
Nah, just Port Solent...

I've not eaten there in years, it used to be something Dad and I did so probably rose-tinted memories rather than anything else. Although, the nuggets are good, I'm sure of that.

Port Solent has some decent eateries, liquid lunch is but a 30 min walk from my place. I think MK's is a bit of a greasy spoon but always packed so perhaps I'm just a snob :D

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 17th 2012 5:11 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10437090)
Port Solent has some decent eateries, liquid lunch is but a 30 min walk from my place. I think MK's is a bit of a greasy spoon but always packed so perhaps I'm just a snob :D

PS has some great places, you're right, but some awful too. The Indian is pretty good, Watermark is alright but thinks it's better than it is, the Italian (can't remember what it's called but next to Cafe Uno) is really good.

Hungry now and want to be back in Blighty for a bit.

Welivehere Dec 17th 2012 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10437051)
I am meant to be playing 18 holes tonight and I know what Dubai is like; they'll ring and make us cancel because it's wet or something.

Shouldn't do, we played this morning and the only thing the club did was bring us a coffee and some large towels out onto the course (nice touch JGE) when the heavens opened on us. They also offered a sympathetic smile smile when we came in after six holes looking like drowned rats....

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10437051)
It's a long shot but I can only see it being cancelled by the club if there is lightning?

They should / will pull you off the course if there is risk (like you say lightning, especially with the floodlight towers / conductors) but apart from that it should be down to you....

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 17th 2012 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 10437111)
Shouldn't do, we played this morning and the only thing the club did was bring us a coffee and some large towels out onto the course (nice touch JGE) when the heavens opened on us. They also offered a sympathetic smile smile when we came in after six holes looking like drowned rats....

They should / will pull you off the course if there is risk (like you say lightning, especially with the floodlight towers / conductors) but apart from that it should be down to you....

6 HOLES? Quitter.

It's brightening up slightly so will be fine I hope. We wouldn't turn down the chance so will play unless told otherwise.

I'm getting a bit better now so might take you up on your offer of a round in the new year.

Welivehere Dec 17th 2012 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10437138)
6 HOLES? Quitter. .

Fair weather golfer, mush... Rocked up in shorts and polo when I actually needed wellies and a rubber duck....

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10437138)
I'm getting a bit better now so might take you up on your offer of a round in the new year.

Good. I'm renewing membership for another year so shout when you're ready, if you want moral support bring a mate... :D

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 17th 2012 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 10437152)
Fair weather golfer, mush... Rocked up in shorts and polo when I actually needed wellies and a rubber duck....

Good. I'm renewing membership for another year so shout when you're ready, if you want moral support bring a mate... :D

Hahahahahahha, I'm completely the same!

What sort of dollar is JGE?

The only support I need is the buggy.

Welivehere Dec 17th 2012 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10437157)
What sort of dollar is JGE?

If you're using your own clubs etc:

Members Guest Weekday Fire = 350AED and Earth is 425AED
Members Guest Weekend Fire = 595AED and Earth is 595AED

Includes cart, water, course guide, tee's, range etc ...

Course choice will be yours... http://www.jumeirahgolfestates.com/play/

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 17th 2012 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 10437159)
If you're using your own clubs etc:

Members Guest Weekday Fire = 350AED and Earth is 425AED
Members Guest Weekend Fire = 595AED and Earth is 595AED

Includes cart, water, course guide, tee's, range etc ...

Course choice will be yours... http://www.jumeirahgolfestates.com/play/

Played Fire twice but never Earth.

What about membership?

Do you get in 9 holes in the morning mid-week?