British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   More gigs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/more-gigs-712020/)

Meow Apr 4th 2011 10:02 am

More gigs

After the announcement of Moby WTC July 4th) and Snoop Dogg (Yas Island 6th May) the other day, latest gig is Shakira on 29th April at Yas.

And of course Joe Cocker still to come on 22nd May at Festival City.

weasel central Apr 4th 2011 10:07 am

Re: More gigs

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9283963)
After the announcement of Moby WTC July 4th) and Snoop Dogg (Yas Island 6th May) the other day, latest gig is Shakira on 29th April at Yas.

And of course Joe Cocker still to come on 22nd May at Festival City.

Every gig in Dubai seems like either a has-been tour or a second rate artist, do any of the bigger bands ever play Dubai?

apologies to moby,shakira and joe cocker fans:)

Meow Apr 4th 2011 10:08 am

Originally Posted by weasel central (Post 9283971)
Every gig in Dubai seems like either a has-been tour or a second rate artist, do any of the bigger bands ever play Dubai?

I know. It's awful. Bob Geldof didn't make it this year...

weasel central Apr 4th 2011 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9283972)
I know. It's awful. Bob Geldof didn't make it this year...

to misquote somebody..

I wouldnt pull back the curtains to see him, if he was playing in my garden.

Welivehere Apr 4th 2011 10:31 am

I'm not a fan but"Shakira" as borrowred from Wiki....

Two Grammy Awards, seven Latin Grammy Awards, twelve Billboard Latin Music Awards and has been Golden Globe-nominated. She is the highest-selling Colombian artist of all time, and the second most successful female Latin singer after Gloria Estefan, having sold over 70 million albums worldwide according to Sony Music Entertainment. Her U.S. album sales stand at 10 million.

In the fall of 2009, Shakira released her sixth album She Wolf worldwide. Shakira's "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)", was chosen as the official song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.... and became the biggest selling World Cup song of all time. On YouTube, the English version of the music video was the 3rd most watched video of all time with over 300 million views Her seventh studio album, the bilingual Sale el Sol, was released October 2010 and has shipped over 4 million copies worldwide....

Woudln't rush to see her myself but think she rates a bit above "has-been" or "second rate artist" ... :)

weasel central Apr 4th 2011 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 9283999)
I'm not a fan but"Shakira" as borrowred from Wiki....

Two Grammy Awards, seven Latin Grammy Awards, twelve Billboard Latin Music Awards and has been Golden Globe-nominated. She is the highest-selling Colombian artist of all time, and the second most successful female Latin singer after Gloria Estefan, having sold over 70 million albums worldwide according to Sony Music Entertainment. Her U.S. album sales stand at 10 million.

In the fall of 2009, Shakira released her sixth album She Wolf worldwide. Shakira's "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)", was chosen as the official song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.... and became the biggest selling World Cup song of all time. On YouTube, the English version of the music video was the 3rd most watched video of all time with over 300 million views Her seventh studio album, the bilingual Sale el Sol, was released October 2010 and has shipped over 4 million copies worldwide....

Woudln't rush to see her myself but think she rates a bit above "has-been" or "second rate artist" ... :)

Aha well thanks for the information but I suppose I was relating second rate artist to the calibre of the music; if album sales equalled quality then I guess I would look at the like of Meat Loaf as a latter day Beethoven.

lionheart Apr 4th 2011 11:02 am

Originally Posted by weasel central (Post 9283971)

Most of the better gigs appear to be at Abu Dhabi these days and at Yas Island in particular, although Faithless, Rod Stewart, Shakira are all major artists who have appeared in Dubai recently. Also, Maroon Five and West Life are appearing here this month.

weasel central Apr 4th 2011 11:06 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9284050)
Most of the better gigs appear to be at Abu Dhabi these days and at Yas Island in particular, although Faithless, Rod Stewart, Shakira are all major artists who have appeared in Dubai recently. Also, Maroon Five and West Life are appearing here this month.

God save us all

Blue Cat Apr 4th 2011 11:09 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9284050)

when was Rod Stewart here?

lionheart Apr 4th 2011 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9284071)

He played at the Dubai Sevens venue last year I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also George Michael appeared at Abu Dhabi.

Blue Cat Apr 4th 2011 11:29 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9284089)
He played at the Dubai Sevens venue last year I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also George Michael appeared at Abu Dhabi.

did he? I honestly can't remember that. George was in AD last year I think or was it the year before?

Bahtatboy Apr 4th 2011 11:32 am

Originally Posted by weasel central (Post 9284034)
... then I guess I would look at the like of Meat Loaf as a latter day Beethoven.

And he bloody well is!

Mogs Apr 4th 2011 11:42 am

I heard Pink Floyd are touring this year with both Waters and Gilmour playing together for the first time in however many years..

Doubt they will come here though.,

weasel central Apr 4th 2011 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9284101)
And he bloody well is!

One man's ceiling is another man's floor and all that,but I thought his best work was as the fat guy in Fightclub and he didnt sing much in that role.:)

Tillybean Apr 4th 2011 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9284071)

Rodders played last year after the Rugby 7's with Spandeau Ballet as support act who, in my honest humble opinion were far better than Rod. I fell asleep during his performance.