Modern Day Slaves

Old Jun 5th 2016, 12:51 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Modern Day Slaves

Originally Posted by Scamp
All those slaves and I don't even have ONE.
Who cleans for you? An agency girl? How much of the money you pay does she get?

How much does she owe her handler back home? Her board and lodgings here?
Old Jun 5th 2016, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Who cleans for you? An agency girl? How much of the money you pay does she get?

How much does she owe her handler back home? Her board and lodgings here?
We had the maids in yesterday actually and didn't get an invoice so hopefully they pocketed the lot and the tips.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 2:56 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

We had the maids in yesterday actually and didn't get an invoice so hopefully they pocketed the lot and the tips.
the tips they keep and split but the amount total never goes to them, they get small commission at the end of the month from the total number of hours worked..IF the employer is a decent enough person, otherwise he can just tell them to Foxtrot Oscar and there isnt much they can do about it. I think the reason they cant give an invoice is a. they are not allowed to handle an empty invoice book, as an employer I wouldn't be comfortable with that either b. their daily routine is very fluid, sometimes an hours commitment can change to two, sometimes someone will confirm but then wont be home so thats a cancellation, sometimes one would join another one at another location and a two hour job can be finished in an hour. So difficult to give them pre-printed invoices I guess.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 4:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
the tips they keep and split but the amount total never goes to them, they get small commission at the end of the month from the total number of hours worked..IF the employer is a decent enough person, otherwise he can just tell them to Foxtrot Oscar and there isnt much they can do about it. I think the reason they cant give an invoice is a. they are not allowed to handle an empty invoice book, as an employer I wouldn't be comfortable with that either b. their daily routine is very fluid, sometimes an hours commitment can change to two, sometimes someone will confirm but then wont be home so thats a cancellation, sometimes one would join another one at another location and a two hour job can be finished in an hour. So difficult to give them pre-printed invoices I guess.
We always get an invoice but they sent three maids instead of two because they were running late, so guess it got lost or forgotten. They also always normally bring a register (with my name at the top) and they have their names written for each time they come and they INSIST every time I comment on their work. I think i've written Excellent every single time.

I've used some maid companies in the past who are utterly useless and clearly don't get looked after but this lot are genuinely excellent, really nice and friendly and always relaxed, like work isn't the worst thing in the world.

I might be wrong. But the Maid example is just weak anyway. What about the petrol pump guy? What about the worker in Maccy-Ds? What about the labourer? What about what about what about
Old Jun 6th 2016, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Low paid labour isn't slavery.

Slaves work for food and board - and you can literally buy and sell them.

N.
It's a fine line.

My friend has a maid in Pakistan. He pays her a salary, she does not work for food.

Can she work elsewhere? Most certainly not. She was gifted through a land sale a couple of generations ago where the selling family would gift a daughter to the new owner. She has since had a daughter - my friend has seen his new maid born.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 7:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It's a fine line.

My friend has a maid in Pakistan. He pays her a salary, she does not work for food.

Can she work elsewhere? Most certainly not. She was gifted through a land sale a couple of generations ago where the selling family would gift a daughter to the new owner. She has since had a daughter - my friend has seen his new maid born.
I'm pretty sure the maids that turned up on Saturday were not slaves.

I hope everyone is happy with this.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure the maids that turned up on Saturday were not slaves.

I hope everyone is happy with this.
mine either.

Economically trapped, but not a slave.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 7:29 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

And that goes for many, many people. Even those earning 6-figure salaries.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 7:38 am
Account Closed

mine either.

Agreed. Like so many others.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And that goes for many, many people. Even those earning 6-figure salaries.
Hallelujah.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:17 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

When you cannot walk away from a job because you know you will never get this good money back home, then isnt that economic slavery?
example :
A computer runner makes about 10K Pak Rs (344 AED) maximum in Pakistan. Boarding and food has to come out of this figure.

then

He gets a job here doing the exact same thing for about 1500 AED. 800 of that goes into a bed space and food. He can now send back 700 AED back home to his family. All of a sudden his family is getting almost 3-4 times the money that he was making. This has changed their life style completely and they are all happy (or as happy as can be). He does his job well, never has a day off, always on time etc etc but has ended up with an a-hole of a boss who makes his life miserable or makes him work unreasonable hours or whatever. Can this person walk away from his job? His passport ofcourse is with the boss and if he tries and finds another job, his boss will just make up some excuse and get him a 2 year ban. Which will completely screw his family over as obviously he wont be earning the same amount then back home. SO....is he an economic slave or the person with a 6 figure salary an economic slave. We take a lot of things in our lives for granted and have the luxury to make choices which have become muscle memory to us. Fact of the matter is, as Millhouse said about that maid being born, he is right. As the divide becomes larger between the rich and the poor, the new modern day slavery is called economic slavery and that I think was the point of this thread.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 9:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
When you cannot walk away from a job because you know you will never get this good money back home, then isnt that economic slavery?
example :
A computer runner makes about 10K Pak Rs (344 AED) maximum in Pakistan. Boarding and food has to come out of this figure.

then

He gets a job here doing the exact same thing for about 1500 AED. 800 of that goes into a bed space and food. He can now send back 700 AED back home to his family. All of a sudden his family is getting almost 3-4 times the money that he was making. This has changed their life style completely and they are all happy (or as happy as can be). He does his job well, never has a day off, always on time etc etc but has ended up with an a-hole of a boss who makes his life miserable or makes him work unreasonable hours or whatever. Can this person walk away from his job? His passport ofcourse is with the boss and if he tries and finds another job, his boss will just make up some excuse and get him a 2 year ban. Which will completely screw his family over as obviously he wont be earning the same amount then back home. SO....is he an economic slave or the person with a 6 figure salary an economic slave. We take a lot of things in our lives for granted and have the luxury to make choices which have become muscle memory to us. Fact of the matter is, as Millhouse said about that maid being born, he is right. As the divide becomes larger between the rich and the poor, the new modern day slavery is called economic slavery and that I think was the point of this thread.
Almost. Although you've covered it in your example, don't just let "economic slavery" on its own be the word, because it doesn't necessarily include the physical enslavement aspect. Economic slavery can be bandied about by affluent Westerners who are enslaved only by their own choices and decisions; the example you give is of someone whose slavery has more to do with this physical enslavement -- employers confiscating passports, exit visa regimes, bans on gaining other employment: those things mean real enslavement.

If the people in charge in states which allow slavery to happen had one ounce of integrity, they'd prevent it happenning. That they don't is contemptible, especially as many of them spout that their lives are guided by "peace". The west, though, doesn't come out of it much better, cozying up to the bastards.

**** 'em all, basically.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

For many from the sub-continent getting to the UAE or Saudi is an improvement in their economic status. Hard for us from the Liberal West to grasp that !
Old Jun 11th 2016, 11:38 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
For many from the sub-continent getting to the UAE or Saudi is an improvement in their economic status. Hard for us from the Liberal West to grasp that !
That however does not change the fact that when the chap starts sending money home his family become reliant on it and since he cannot get the same earnings back home he is trapped. Call it whatever you want.

Without these 'willing' workers this place would still be a desert..
Old Jun 11th 2016, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In the West the slaves are those who sign up for a thirty-year mortgage. Working away to make that mortgage payment every month !
Old Jun 11th 2016, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry - I missed that. It really does surprise me that so many cannot see their own economic situation for what really is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.