Meetings

Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:33 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meetings

Originally Posted by goonerseba
Likewise.

I have a daily morning "huddle" with my team to set the scene - 15 mins max briefing and very effective.

But the weekly "management" meeting is worthy of its own episode of "the office" - every comic meeting/boardroom scene is played out in that one.

although to keep it interesting, I try and drop in well known sayings or phrases from tv, or film or even quotes lines song lyrics - try it - its amazing how one many liners you can drop without anyone non-western realising your taking the complete p*ss !
Ohmigod, you do the song lyric thing too! Ideally you need a partner in crime though.

That has helped me though many a long day...
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
I know! Do the same, and it flies over their heads like an Exocet Missile!
Idea for a competition: who can come up with the longest sentence that contains nothing but business-school-pretentious-bullshit?

You know......... "Going forward, we will have to work on our vertical integration strategies 24/7 if at the end of the day we are going to rationalise our streamlining deliverables.........."

Last edited by The Dean; Jul 1st 2012 at 8:35 am. Reason: .
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by goonerseba
Likewise.

I have a daily morning "huddle" with my team to set the scene - 15 mins max briefing and very effective.

But the weekly "management" meeting is worthy of its own episode of "the office" - every comic meeting/boardroom scene is played out in that one.

although to keep it interesting, I try and drop in well known sayings or phrases from tv, or film or even quotes lines song lyrics - try it - its amazing how one many liners you can drop without anyone non-western realising your taking the complete p*ss !
I'm meant to be doing that with this lad we've employed, morning chat for 5 mins to get his mind focused.

But that 5 minute chat has been designated to a meeting room on the ground floor. So this will be 5 mins to get shit, walk to lift, wait, get downstairs, then 5 mins in the meeting, then 10 outside to smoke with him, then a few more back to the desks.

All in all I'll waste about 120 minutes a week with an idiot.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by The Dean
Idea for a competition: who can come up with the longest sentence that contains nothing but business-school-pretentious-bullshit?

You know......... "Going forward, we will have to work on our vertical integration strategies 24/7 if at the end of the day we are going to rationalise our streamlining deliverables.........."
"from now on, we need to make sure the dicks above and below us do their shit all the time...that is, if we want to make sure the shit we agreed is going to get sorted. Alright dickheads?"

That's what I got from that.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Ohmigod, you do the song lyric thing too! Ideally you need a partner in crime though.

That has helped me though many a long day...
yep its better if theres 2 of you and then it becomes a battle of wits and see who is the first to have to excuse themselves from the room !
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:45 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Especially when the 'commitments' made in the meeting are never met because they are bollocks and agreed to to try and look good.
Do you seriously expect us to believe that people don't leverage their core competencies by not actioning their deliverables?
Company I used to work for made a webpage that you could use at meetings. You put in the names of the attendees and it linked to SAP so could work out their cost. Then it showed a counter of how much the meeting was costing as a running total. Was amazing how quickly you could rack up thousands of £'s Did tend to focus minds on who to invite, and whether you'd attend
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mikewot
Do you seriously expect us to believe that people don't leverage their core competencies by not actioning their deliverables?
Company I used to work for made a webpage that you could use at meetings. You put in the names of the attendees and it linked to SAP so could work out their cost. Then it showed a counter of how much the meeting was costing as a running total. Was amazing how quickly you could rack up thousands of £'s Did tend to focus minds on who to invite, and whether you'd attend
I seriously do. I think.

I just find that basic shit is agreed in meetings for the sake of it. Then I get sent the minutes and just store them in a folder in my inbox to not look at ever again.

That being said, I definitely joined in an volunteered to do something special this week and I can't remember what.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:48 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

May I point the right honourable gentleman at post #68 in this thread.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

= Get the Job Done!
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Scamp
I just find that basic shit is agreed in meetings for the sake of it. Then I get sent the minutes and just store them in a folder in my inbox to not look at ever again.
Your Team Leader needs to swallow the frog and tell these resources to get their feet into his inbox and start pushing the needle!
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mikewot
swallow the frog
WTF does that mean?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:59 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I had an old senior who used to ask us to "give it a sprinkle of pixie dust."

Seriously...?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:03 am
Account Closed

"Where's the juice? Come on 'Scamp' GIMME SOME JUUUIIICE"

Swear to God he just sounds like a Nazi. Literally...
Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:08 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably going to be the only one that says not enough.

A large part of my job is writing up the bid proposals for our sales and pre-sales teams. At the moment, the only feedback I get from the sales people is a bunch of answers to some questions.

Hopefully that will all change once we move into the new office after Ramadan.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:13 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

And now for the other side of the coin:

How many emails do you write / receive / get cc'd on about a particular issue, with each participant taking his own time and requiring the time of others, when, in reality, if all the participants actually sat together and thrashed the issue out, a large amount of time would be saved? That happens quite often in my organisation. And among people sitting within a stone's throw of one another.

We have largely dispensed with regular meetings--perhaps we've gone too far, since I believe that concise, to-the-point and properly-managed meetings are important for disseminating information, gathering opinions and making (SMART) action points. And provided those meetings are governed by kindergarten rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.