British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Medicals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/medicals-910008/)

jam25mack Mar 5th 2018 10:13 am

Medicals

So.... I just had a freebie medical in work as part of a 'fitness drive'....

Results are:

Blood pressure - 128/78. Depending which website you read this is either fine and dandy or slightly over

Blood glucose - 95. This is below 100 so fine apparently.

Total cholesterol - 158. This is below 200 so low apparently.

BMI - 27.7. Well, 25.0 - 29.9 overweight apparently.

So all in all I'm happy.

I'm ignoring the BMI. As a shortish, boradish kinda chap its never been an accurate measurement for me. If you have any width to you and a bit of muscle you're screwed. I calculated I would need to lose an extra 8.5kg just to sneak under the magic number of 25.0. I've just lost 5kg and would have an 8 pack on show if I managed to lose an additional 8.5kg! I do have 4.0kg more in my sights but 8.5kg is taking the piss. BMI is bollocks! :rofl::rofl:

DXBtoDOH Mar 5th 2018 10:18 am

Re: Medicals

My BMI is 19.9.

Doesn't mean anything, agreed.

weasel decentral Mar 5th 2018 10:39 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12456365)
So.... I just had a freebie medical in work as part of a 'fitness drive'....

Results are:

Blood pressure - 128/78. Depending which website you read this is either fine and dandy or slightly over

Blood glucose - 95. This is below 100 so fine apparently.

Total cholesterol - 158. This is below 200 so low apparently.

BMI - 27.7. Well, 25.0 - 29.9 overweight apparently.

So all in all I'm happy.

I'm ignoring the BMI. As a shortish, boradish kinda chap its never been an accurate measurement for me. If you have any width to you and a bit of muscle you're screwed. I calculated I would need to lose an extra 8.5kg just to sneak under the magic number of 25.0. I've just lost 5kg and would have an 8 pack on show if I managed to lose an additional 8.5kg! I do have 4.0kg more in my sights but 8.5kg is taking the piss. BMI is bollocks! :rofl::rofl:

Before you lost the 5kg under the BMI classifications you were on the borderline of obese though, assuming my calculation is correct.

jam25mack Mar 5th 2018 10:57 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12456386)
Before you lost the 5kg under the BMI classifications you were on the borderline of obese though, assuming my calculation is correct.

Haven't the foggiest.... quite possibly. Would need to check the online calculator thingy.

Still means bugger all. I had it done when in Uni when I had a 6 pack and it still said I was overweight.

jam25mack Mar 5th 2018 10:59 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12456366)
My BMI is 19.9.

Doesn't mean anything, agreed.

You must be like a rake!

Millhouse Mar 5th 2018 11:54 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12456392)
Haven't the foggiest.... quite possibly. Would need to check the online calculator thingy.

Still means bugger all. I had it done when in Uni when I had a 6 pack and it still said I was overweight.

We all have a 6 pack, somewhere :lol:

DXBtoDOH Mar 5th 2018 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12456414)
We all have a 6 pack, somewhere :lol:

I keep looking for it. No matter how much time I spend in the gym it never appears. Never figured out how others manage to make it pop out.

jam25mack Mar 5th 2018 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12456417)
I keep looking for it. No matter how much time I spend in the gym it never appears. Never figured out how others manage to make it pop out.

Sub about 7% body fat and lots of work will generally do the trick.

Millhouse Mar 5th 2018 12:05 pm

try eating more.

Millhouse Mar 5th 2018 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12456422)
Sub about 7% body fat and lots of work will generally do the trick.

7% is very hard to achieve on a long-term basis.

I'm around 13%, and according to the BMI scale kissing the overweight line :lol:

Bahtatboy Mar 5th 2018 12:15 pm

A six-pack is made 80% in the kitchen and 20% in the gym.
You can't out-train a bad diet.

So they say.

DXBtoDOH Mar 5th 2018 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12456432)
A six-pack is made 80% in the kitchen and 20% in the gym.
You can't out-train a bad diet.

So they say.

Yeah, well, that's the other problem. I don't eat badly. No junk food, minimal processed food, little meat, little refined white flour and pasta, mostly vegs and grains.

I think it's just genetics. No amount of diet regime or exercise is going to change it.

Millhouse Mar 5th 2018 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12456434)
Yeah, well, that's the other problem. I don't eat badly. No junk food, minimal processed food, little meat, little refined white flour and pasta, mostly vegs and grains.

I think it's just genetics. No amount of diet regime or exercise is going to change it.

The diet is the problem. Probably topped with an exercise program that is cardio based or high reps with low weights and a lack of compound moves.

DXBtoDOH Mar 5th 2018 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12456438)
The diet is the problem. Probably topped with an exercise program that is cardio based or high reps with low weights and a lack of compound moves.

So what should I be eating?

Millhouse Mar 5th 2018 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12456440)
So what should I be eating?

More.

50pct protein. 35pct carbs. 15ct fat. Lift heavy and have a calorie surplus.

Bahtatboy Mar 5th 2018 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12456446)
More.

50pct protein. 35pct carbs. 15ct fat. Lift heavy and have a calorie surplus.

Simultaneous anabolism and catabolism? A calorie surplus plus heavy weights will improve physique, but it won't shred fat. Or so I've studied...

Millhouse Mar 5th 2018 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12456501)
Simultaneous anabolism and catabolism? A calorie surplus plus heavy weights will improve physique, but it won't shred fat. Or so I've studied...

Dxb has no fat to shred. If you want to lose weight then go calorie negative. The macros will hold up well for this too, as you need to preserve the muscle. Gaining and losing fat at the same time is a myth.

Bahtatboy Mar 5th 2018 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12456542)
Dxb has no fat to shred. If you want to lose weight then go calorie negative. The macros will hold up well for this too, as you need to preserve the muscle. Gaining and losing fat at the same time is a myth.

Ah, we're on the same page then.

co durham boy Mar 6th 2018 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12456542)

:goodpost: The macros are very important for those looking for change. I can't emphasize enough on the compound lifts and how important they are in any structured programme. Once they're set you'll achive what you set out to do as basically the numbers add up.

Millhouse Mar 6th 2018 3:37 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12456901)
:goodpost: The macros are very important for those looking for change. I can't emphasize enough on the compound lifts and how important they are in any structured programme. Once they're set you'll achive what you set out to do as basically the numbers add up.

Correct - it’s amazing that you only need to do 5 basic movements, yet people spend so much time on isolation curls etc.

littlejimmy Mar 6th 2018 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12456903)
Correct - it’s amazing that you only need to do 5 basic movements, yet people spend so much time on isolation curls etc.

What are these five movements then?

Millhouse Mar 6th 2018 4:20 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 12456914)
What are these five movements then?

weighted squats, deadlifts, benchpress are really the core 3
then you have rows, and overhead press, making 5 - I regard these as optional though to be honest.

you could also in pull ups/ chin ups if you have time to spare.

high weights, low reps. so heavy that the sets are hard and you get hot.

45mins max to do this, every other day. Food is very important.

jam25mack Mar 6th 2018 4:27 am

OK, noted on the Macros (will see about getting this in check - probably by using my fitness Pal again and logging my food).

Have looked up the compound movements and will integrate them when I get back in the gym this week.

Personally though I don't wish to put on a load of muscle. I would prefer to get rid of my remaining gut, lower my overall body fat percentage and then just tone up / sculpt it a bit.

Suggestions.

Currently I'm doing lots of cardio (running 5km & fast walking 6.5km) about 3-4 times a week. Say 25km a week on average. However, I have just got a gym membership so will probably reduce that as I have lost the majority of what I want / need to lose (5kg gone, ideally say another 3-4kg to go). Also, woke up with a screwed achillies after my run last night so I'm going to have to change my approach until that fixes itself.

Millhouse Mar 6th 2018 4:42 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12456918)
Suggestions.

Fix macros. Eat less calories (go negative). Lift heavy weights on low reps. You won't put on a load of muscle, if any. Fast walks won't really help you lose much fat unless you are very overweight.

jam25mack Mar 6th 2018 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12456926)
Fix macros. Eat less calories (go negative). Lift heavy weights on low reps. You won't put on a load of muscle, if any. Fast walks won't really help you lose much fat unless you are very overweight.

I think I'm pretty good calorie wise at the moment, hence the results I'm getting. Generally, fruit for breakfast, subway or similar for lunch (not great admittedly) and then a lightly fried (olive oil) fresh fish fillet with a rocket salad for dinner. Also, I've reduced soft drinks drastically, cut out all midweek booze / don't go crazy at the weekend and drink lots of water.

Should it not be lower weights and more reps for toning?

Millhouse Mar 6th 2018 5:07 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12456933)
I think I'm pretty good calorie wise at the moment, hence the results I'm getting. Generally, fruit for breakfast, subway or similar for lunch (not great admittedly) and then a lightly fried (olive oil) fresh fish fillet with a rocket salad for dinner. Also, I've reduced soft drinks drastically, cut out all midweek booze / don't go crazy at the weekend and drink lots of water.

Should it not be lower weights and more reps for toning?

Those macros are way off. It's carbs for two meals.

The toning thing is a bit of a myth.

jam25mack Mar 6th 2018 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12456938)
Those macros are way off. It's carbs for two meals. Noted - will get on this. ;)

The toning thing is a bit of a myth. Ahh OK. ;)

:cool:

DXBtoDOH Mar 6th 2018 6:02 am

My main exercise is swimming laps. I swim 2.5km daily five days a week before work. Is this helping me or hurting me? Genuinely curious. I've tried to go through the gym bars / reps / cardio machines routines but as mentioned above it rarely seems to do anything.

If I were to tackle the gym more seriously by alternating it with swimming, what would be the best strategy?

Millhouse Mar 6th 2018 6:49 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12456953)
My main exercise is swimming laps. I swim 2.5km daily five days a week before work. Is this helping me or hurting me? Genuinely curious. I've tried to go through the gym bars / reps / cardio machines routines but as mentioned above it rarely seems to do anything.

If I were to tackle the gym more seriously by alternating it with swimming, what would be the best strategy?

start with the 5x5 program. Stick at it for 3 months, eat more. Keep doing the swimming.

DXBtoDOH Mar 6th 2018 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12456964)
start with the 5x5 program. Stick at it for 3 months, eat more. Keep doing the swimming.

Eat more what? Meat? If so what kind of meat? I suppose I don't need more vegetable intake.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 6th 2018 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12456425)
try eating more.

Preach

Millhouse Mar 6th 2018 8:21 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12456965)
Eat more what? Meat? If so what kind of meat? I suppose I don't need more vegetable intake.

Food would be a good start, but wherever else you get your protein from. But not Soy.

DXBtoDOH Mar 6th 2018 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12457003)
Food would be a good start, but wherever else you get your protein from. But not Soy.

What do you eat, Millhouse?

co durham boy Mar 6th 2018 9:26 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12456918)
OK, noted on the Macros (will see about getting this in check - probably by using my fitness Pal again and logging my food).

Have looked up the compound movements and will integrate them when I get back in the gym this week.

Personally though I don't wish to put on a load of muscle. I would prefer to get rid of my remaining gut, lower my overall body fat percentage and then just tone up / sculpt it a bit.

Suggestions.

Currently I'm doing lots of cardio (running 5km & fast walking 6.5km) about 3-4 times a week. Say 25km a week on average. However, I have just got a gym membership so will probably reduce that as I have lost the majority of what I want / need to lose (5kg gone, ideally say another 3-4kg to go). Also, woke up with a screwed achillies after my run last night so I'm going to have to change my approach until that fixes itself.

Incorporate the Basic lifting moves into your routine if you can , you won't put on a load of muscle if the macros don't calculate that you'll burn fat if specified .

i have 2 very simple thoughts on endurance training , you either go low HR zone two and go slow and long or you red line it in intervals , anything else once you've built your base fitness threshold is a waste of time.

Be careful with the achilles as it's the most common overuse injury along with shin splints . Build a core mobility programme on the floor before and after you run . Glute bridges / eccentric heel drops / goblet squats and hip extensions. The stronger core will keep your lower half from breaking down.

Millhouse Mar 6th 2018 9:31 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12457014)
What do you eat, Millhouse?

Pretty balanced. I don't really do processed foods though unless no other options. I don't eat a lot of fruit, but do have lots of salad. Chocolate is a weakness so generally try to avoid it.

Breakfast is sugar free granola with my home-made yogurt.
Lunch is often my largest meal. Lots of meat in some form (chicken/beef usually). Carbs depending on if I worked out just before hand.
Latte
Dinner - tomorrows lunch.

I don't generally eat at a 50:35:15 P:C:F ratio, but nor am I trying to change my body shape.

Millhouse Mar 6th 2018 9:33 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12457047)
Incorporate the Basic lifting moves into your routine if you can , you won't put on a load of muscle if the macros don't calculate that you'll burn fat if specified .

i have 2 very simple thoughts on endurance training , you either go low HR zone two and go slow and long or you red line it in intervals , anything else once you've built your base fitness threshold is a waste of time.

Be careful with the achilles as it's the most common overuse injury along with shin splints . Build a core mobility programme on the floor before and after you run . Glute bridges / eccentric heel drops / goblet squats and hip extensions. The stronger core will keep your lower half from breaking down.

and intervals is so much more interesting.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 6th 2018 9:38 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12457047)
you either go low HR zone two and go slow and long or you red line it in intervals , anything else once you've built your base fitness threshold is a waste of time.

Did the first two runs last night and night before since that Wellman thing a while back.
Sunday was jog 1km, walk a bit, jog 800m, walk a bit, jog 500m. Just to get back into moving at more than a walk.
Monday was jog 2km non stop as short on time. Latched onto this little fella who overtook me and the mrs. She went ahead and we were never more than 6-7m apart as a 3. Bloke probably had no idea but I ended up on his heel at the end of 2km and had smashed it in 12min6s. Was chuffed. Could have kept going I think but the increased pace was easier than I thought. Made the run go quicker, smoother and less leg pain.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12457051)
my home-made yogurt.

:blink::eek:

Millhouse Mar 6th 2018 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12457055)

So much nicer than anything you can buy. Ten minutes to make (well 10 hours), and is great. I can hardly eat shop yogurts now even though I used to love them.

DXBtoDOH Mar 6th 2018 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12457051)
Pretty balanced. I don't really do processed foods though unless no other options. I don't eat a lot of fruit, but do have lots of salad. Chocolate is a weakness so generally try to avoid it.

Breakfast is sugar free granola with my home-made yogurt.
Lunch is often my largest meal. Lots of meat in some form (chicken/beef usually). Carbs depending on if I worked out just before hand.
Latte
Dinner - tomorrows lunch.

I don't generally eat at a 50:35:15 P:C:F ratio, but nor am I trying to change my body shape.

So you don't eat dinner.

I have a plain unsweetened yogurt before the daily swim and afterwards I grab a cappuccino and a croissant.

Lunch is the standard carrots & lentils plus steamed broccoli. Sometimes I have a roll with it, sometimes not. Lunch is my largest meal.

Dinner is just a plain spinach salad with a diced egg and a sprinkling of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

No snacks. I used to have an afternoon apple but it's been a while.

co durham boy Mar 6th 2018 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12457055)
Did the first two runs last night and night before since that Wellman thing a while back.
Sunday was jog 1km, walk a bit, jog 800m, walk a bit, jog 500m. Just to get back into moving at more than a walk.
Monday was jog 2km non stop as short on time. Latched onto this little fella who overtook me and the mrs. She went ahead and we were never more than 6-7m apart as a 3. Bloke probably had no idea but I ended up on his heel at the end of 2km and had smashed it in 12min6s. Was chuffed. Could have kept going I think but the increased pace was easier than I thought. Made the run go quicker, smoother and less leg pain.

It's great to build the speed and endurance , it can get technical with strides / fartlek and recovery clicks but the basic facts remain . Drive the HR then rest and repeat repeat repeat and pass out ;)