Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Marry a foreigner, have thick kids...

Marry a foreigner, have thick kids...

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:29 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marry a foreigner, have thick kids...

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
But surely the two masters bit is about having dedicated butlers (I would never share mine), and the light n dark bit about both pale ale AND stout being prohibited. No?
You'd make an excellent theologian.

N.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:32 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by douglasgrant
Hah! My wife and I are complete opposites in all the above .. didnt stop us getting married or having kids... eventually you accept that you will be on each others nerves for the rest of time

( proud owner of the "I hate Michael Buble" sticker on my car )
Me and my missus have a lot in common despite her coming from a different culture. Both atheists, with similar politics, love of history and culture etc. Also into similar food, music and art.

Marriage is far to difficult as it is without not seeing eye to eye on all the major issues.

N.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure some of you will like this...

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:42 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Me and my missus have a lot in common despite her coming from a different culture. Both atheists, with similar politics, love of history and culture etc. Also into similar food, music and art.

Marriage is far to difficult as it is without not seeing eye to eye on all the major issues.

N.
My husband is the complete opposite: shy, quiet to the point of comatose, moves through life at a glacial pace, dreamy, has conservative taste in just about eveything except music - he has gay boy taste in music (Celine Dion, Elaine Page, show tunes! Can you imagine? The Phantom of the Bloody Opera!) AND He reads the Daily Fail FFS.

He doesn't even like sunny weather! God only knows how we got it together.

We are both atheists... Maybe that's the glue.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by lullabelle
My husband is the complete opposite: shy, quiet to the point of comatose, moves through life at a glacial pace, dreamy, has conservative taste in just about eveything except music - he has gay boy taste in music (Celine Dion, Elaine Page, show tunes! Can you imagine? The Phantom of the Bloody Opera!) AND He reads the Daily Fail FFS.

He doesn't even like sunny weather! God only knows how we got it together.

We are both atheists... Maybe that's the glue.
Celine Dion?

By Odin's beard that would be a deal breaker for me!

N.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:17 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You'd make an excellent theologian.

N.
Sank you.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:21 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Interestingly, Oman does not prohibit Muslim men from marrying non Muslim and or foreign women, and as per the Quran, the woman does not have to convert to Islam (although children have to be raised as Muslims - quite frankly no different from Catholics who can marry non Catholics but have to raise their children as Catholics). However, women for the most part are not allowed to marry a foreigner, and those that are have to fight hard to have their child made a citizen.
Non muslim men can convert for the day if you want to marry a muslim.............The one thing with my relationship is whilst her brother/mother and family accept she is dating an Infidel they all assume that as we are supposed to wait until we get married before practicing baby making they think I have the morals of an alley cat and will be getting my sex somewhere else. (Frankly I find that amusing)

Do all Muslims really think that all we do is wear short skirts, drink beer and get our legs up?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Non muslim men can convert for the day if you want to marry a muslim.............The one thing with my relationship is whilst her brother/mother and family accept she is dating an Infidel they all assume that as we are supposed to wait until we get married before practicing baby making they think I have the morals of an alley cat and will be getting my sex somewhere else. (Frankly I find that amusing)

Do all Muslims really think that all we do is wear short skirts, drink beer and get our legs up?
Aw, I don't But I guess it's hard for some people to ignore the media! Middle Easterners see how sex is not so taboo in Western media, and vice versa.. how we Westerners may assume all Middle Easterners want to wage an angry jihad against us all thanks to the Daily Mail. Tiz life.

Saff
Old Jul 4th 2012, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Aw, I don't how we Westerners may assume all Middle Easterners want to wage an angry jihad against us all
Bogtrotters and Rangers vs Celtic aside, the vast majority of terrorist related convictions in the UK recently have involved British born, indoctrinated and brainwashed muslims.

Charity begins at home!

And for once, it's nothing to do with the Daily Mail.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Bogtrotters and Rangers vs Celtic aside, the vast majority of terrorist related convictions in the UK recently have involved British born, indoctrinated and brainwashed muslims.

Charity begins at home!

And for once, it's nothing to do with the Daily Mail.
Unfortunately I think many people would choose to ignore somebody is British born as long as their name sounds something like Abdulwahab.

Saff
Old Jul 5th 2012, 4:20 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
and that's just it. It's not the religion per se, it's indoctrination and brain washing. Until we start to adopt the Australian way of everyone becomes "Australian" rather than the American way of "Irish/Latino/whatever-American" then folks will identify themselves as "Asian/whatever-British" even if born in the UK, which I (as a demi bogtrotter) abhor. You are your nationality of choice/birth/passport. End of.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 4:52 am

Depends on the sect in that case...it's not a universally allowed concept in all of Islam.

I wouldn't convert to any religion for any length of time for any women. There are plenty of women who accept me just as I am - and plenty of women just like me (well, perhaps not as racist or hairy but that's a good thing).

I often wonder how they reconcile the fact that we do often do all the things they are not allowed to (drinking, shagging without being married, not being religious, denying god's existence etc) and yet we are so far ahead scientifically, culturally and technologically.

N.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Unfortunately I think many people would choose to ignore somebody is British born as long as their name sounds something like Abdulwahab.

Saff
Why is that unfortunate? Being born somewhere doesn't mean much at all...look at all the expats born in the UAE who are not local and never will be.

Abdulwahab isn't a British name. Some people believe if you are part of a society you should adapt to it's ways, especially when it already has a long established native population.

N.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:24 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the sect in that case...it's not a universally allowed concept in all of Islam.

I wouldn't convert to any religion for any length of time for any women. There are plenty of women who accept me just as I am - and plenty of women just like me (well, perhaps not as racist or hairy but that's a good thing).

I often wonder how they reconcile the fact that we do often do all the things they are not allowed to (drinking, shagging without being married, not being religious, denying god's existence etc) and yet we are so far ahead scientifically, culturally and technologically.

N.
Now this is something that came up recently. I am an obvious Atheist and the only way we could be married is if I converted for a day and became Mohammed Britexpat. Though nothing changes for either of us and after I will enjoy a pint and bag of scratchings is it not a daft rule that we have to do this when the men don't?
Old Jul 8th 2012, 12:24 pm

Now this is something that came up recently. I am an obvious Atheist and the only way we could be married is if I converted for a day and became Mohammed Britexpat. Though nothing changes for either of us and after I will enjoy a pint and bag of scratchings is it not a daft rule that we have to do this when the men don't?
Why don't you ask her to leave Islam or convert to Christianity for a day - I bet that's not even an option is it?

Direct question I know (and I mean no offense) but there are more than principles at stake here. If you've converted you can also be prosecuted in most Muslim countries for things like drinking. You will not be able to have a license and you will also have to deal with Sharia law for things like inheritance. If you fancy your children automatically going to your nearest male relative upon your demise and only 1/8 of your net worth in the region going to her good luck to you mate.

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.