British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Maradona then.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/maradona-then-601385/)

Spugsy Apr 2nd 2009 8:23 am

Maradona then....

...not the best start for him really:

Argentina suffered their worst defeat in more than 60 years as they were thrashed 6-1 by Bolivia at high altitude in a World Cup qualifier.

Striker Joaquin Botero hit a hat-trick, while Marcelo Martins, Didi Torrico and Alex da Rosa also scored in the rout.

Luis Gonzalez replied for Argentina who also had substitute Angel di Maria sent off seven minutes after he had come on.

Argentina coach Diego Maradona last year supported Bolivia's campaign to be allowed to stage games in La Paz.

But Maradona's side, who had won their first three games under his charge - and without conceding a goal - looked breathless in the rarefied air 3,600m above sea level.

Diego Maradona
Maradona could only look on helplessly as his side were torn apart

And they also struggled with a pitch which looked well below the standard expected for an international match.

"Every Bolivia goal was a stab in my heart," said Maradona.

"If we had dreamed this was going to happen before the game, we would have thought it was impossible.

"We have to give merit to Bolivia who were better than us in every part of the field.

"There is nothing to say. They beat us well and now we have to start all over again.

"Bolivia played a great game and hit the target with every attack.

"They all played well from the goalkeeper to the last substitute."

BangleMan Apr 2nd 2009 8:29 am

Re: Maradona then....

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7444394)

Argentina suffered their worst defeat in more than 60 years as they were thrashed 6-1 by Bolivia at high altitude in a World Cup qualifier.

Striker Joaquin Botero hit a hat-trick, while Marcelo Martins, Didi Torrico and Alex da Rosa also scored in the rout.

Luis Gonzalez replied for Argentina who also had substitute Angel di Maria sent off seven minutes after he had come on.

Argentina coach Diego Maradona last year supported Bolivia's campaign to be allowed to stage games in La Paz.

But Maradona's side, who had won their first three games under his charge - and without conceding a goal - looked breathless in the rarefied air 3,600m above sea level.

Diego Maradona

And they also struggled with a pitch which looked well below the standard expected for an international match.

"If we had dreamed this was going to happen before the game, we would have thought it was impossible.

"We have to give merit to Bolivia who were better than us in every part of the field.

"There is nothing to say. They beat us well and now we have to start all over again.

she should concentrate on adoption and leave football to those who know....

lionheart Apr 2nd 2009 8:47 am

Watched the entire game on TV last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Saudi v UAE game was pretty good too. The Argies should have played Zabaleta to add steel to their midfield.

TGFKASE Apr 2nd 2009 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7444394)

Diego Maradona

And he can't even bitch about the fact that it was played in La Paz......:rofl:

seraphnina Apr 2nd 2009 9:12 am

Who won the Saudi vs UAE game? :wub:

Sky Blue Apr 2nd 2009 9:20 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7444406)
she should concentrate on adoption and leave football to those who know....

I hear she is adopting that little chap Dennis after he is now homeless in the North East...

Sky Blue Apr 2nd 2009 9:20 am

Originally Posted by seraphnina (Post 7444487)
Who won the Saudi vs UAE game? :wub:

Saudi - they scored late doors...

BangleMan Apr 2nd 2009 9:30 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7444431)
Watched the entire game on TV last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Saudi v UAE game was pretty good too. The Argies should have played Zabaleta to add steel to their midfield.

is he the tosser who plays for Man City ?

BangleMan Apr 2nd 2009 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Sky Blue (Post 7444506)
I hear she is adopting that little chap Dennis after he is now homeless in the North East...

should us white people take that as a racist slur ?

Spugsy Apr 2nd 2009 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Sky Blue (Post 7444506)

heh, good call.

Inselaffen Apr 2nd 2009 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7444591)
heh, good call.

I'd heard he was moving to be Director of Football for the 'Ammers!

BangleMan Apr 2nd 2009 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7444607)
I'd heard he was moving to be Director of Football for the 'Ammers!

lol.....I reckon he would last about 48 seconds in the job before he was knifed....we do love a former Chelsea player and Millwall manager down at The Boleyn, you know

boroboy Apr 3rd 2009 5:42 am

I once watched a game of football in La Paz was by far the worst game of football i have ever seen. The Strongest v Tigres. Nobody ran. Not suprising at over 3000m above sea level. Nice hotdogs though.
Bolivia are great at home but terrible away.
FIFA tried to ban games at high altitude. Maradona was one of those that asked for this law to be reconsidered. i wonder if he wants to change his mind.