Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Looks like we might be moving in the summer

Looks like we might be moving in the summer

Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looks like we might be moving in the summer

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
it's off! Mitten didn't get a place in DESS, she failed her entrance exam yes at the age of 4!! apparently she won't be able to keep up with the other kids in Year 1 - they know this when there is still three months of this school year to go!!! The Lakes or Springs it is then
Failed the entrance exam at 4! What a load of bulls**t. So are you going to stay at the same school?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:52 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Failed the entrance exam at 4! What a load of bulls**t. So are you going to stay at the same school?
yes we are going to stay at Regent, she loves it there anyway. In some ways I was glad she wasn't offered a place because the traffic down there is a complete nightmare to say the least.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

yes we are going to stay at Regent, she loves it there anyway. In some ways I was glad she wasn't offered a place because the traffic down there is a complete nightmare to say the least.
The main thing is that she's happy at that age anyway.

By the way Raffles have finally come round (with the help of all of us going to the Ministry) and we are now paying 500dhs registration, they have to hold our kids places and they won't be taking any more post dated cheques, we just have to pay the first day of each term. Yay, finally they seem to be coming to their senses. Got the letter yesterday, they're refunding all advance payments within the month.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:06 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

The main thing is that she's happy at that age anyway.

By the way Raffles have finally come round (with the help of all of us going to the Ministry) and we are now paying 500dhs registration, they have to hold our kids places and they won't be taking any more post dated cheques, we just have to pay the first day of each term. Yay, finally they seem to be coming to their senses. Got the letter yesterday, they're refunding all advance payments within the month.

same happened at Regent, I went in yesterday to re-register her for September to find out that they had back tracked and we only have to pay the 500 dhs as well! great news at last. Wonder how empty the schools will be in September? DESS might ring me back then !
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

same happened at Regent, I went in yesterday to re-register her for September to find out that they had back tracked and we only have to pay the 500 dhs as well! great news at last. Wonder how empty the schools will be in September? DESS might ring me back then !
I think they probably will. My kids went for assessments at DIA a couple of weeks ago and I was told the usually lose 20% of their students over summer, this year they expect to lose at least 40%. If that happens across the whole of Dubai, we'll be able to put them anywhere we want. I think we'll see a major difference even next term, heaps of my kids classmates won't be back after Easter (unless their dads find new jobs very quickly).
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:26 am
Concierge

I think they probably will. My kids went for assessments at DIA a couple of weeks ago and I was told the usually lose 20% of their students over summer, this year they expect to lose at least 40%. If that happens across the whole of Dubai, we'll be able to put them anywhere we want. I think we'll see a major difference even next term, heaps of my kids classmates won't be back after Easter (unless their dads find new jobs very quickly).
same here, I dropped off this morning at 7.50 am, there were three kids in class! I am sure the class sizes are going to drop, which is a good thing.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:56 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry BC but if your daughter didn't pass the entrance exam surely that says a lot about the current schoool?????? No offence meant but you know what i mean
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

it's off! Mitten didn't get a place in DESS, she failed her entrance exam yes at the age of 4!! apparently she won't be able to keep up with the other kids in Year 1 - they know this when there is still three months of this school year to go!!! The Lakes or Springs it is then
Just out of curiosity..............

What does an entrance exam aimed at 4-year-olds actually consist of? Presumably they can ask some simple arithmetical questions, and some spellings........... anything else?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:51 pm