London

Old Jan 4th 2016, 4:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default London

So, I spent a few days in London for NYE and enjoyed it thoroughly. A few observations;

- It's full of tourists.
- It's full of foreigners doing normal jobs (coffee shops, waiters etc).
- It's a bit grubby in places but surprisingly clean in others.
- It's ****ing expensive.
- It's good fun.
- Brick Lane cuzza is certainly up there as one of the best I've had.
- It's non stop and piss easy to get around.

It's full, and I mean full...every ****ing 30 seconds full, of people asking / begging / even demanding your change for a hostel or their dog or some food.

That alone would genuinely make it hard to live there. I hated it.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London

Where were you in London? The number of tourists vary greatly depending where you are, although migrants/non-doms are everywhere. Hard to believe it but I remember when the staff at Costas were actually, you know, British.

I love London but it's shocking how expensive it is. I bleed money much more quickly in London than in Dubai despite many things being cheaper.

Pros to today's London: much cleaner, much safer and rapid gentrification has cleaned up many areas that were pretty grotty just five years ago. Shoreditch, King's Cross, Hackney and many points further eastwards. The cosmopolitan vibe is impressive and stimulating.

Downside: too bloody expensive. Even if you have a good salary a decent flat cost a fortune and it seems that normal people, even with upper middle class incomes, are being forced out of most of central London in lieu of affluent overseas buyers. Some areas of central London are now empty ghettos of non-doms/overseas owners who spend a few weeks a year in the city and leave the property empty the rest of the time. London feels increasingly isolated from the rest of the UK and less and less "British" as time goes on. What Britishness remains seems mostly the UK brand - Union Jack flag, Keep Calm Carry On posters and minis, all touted as just another style rather than anything meaningful.

Despite the positives I'm not sure if I like the long term trend towards being a playground for the global rich/students.

Originally Posted by Scamp
So, I spent a few days in London for NYE and enjoyed it thoroughly. A few observations;

- It's full of tourists.
- It's full of foreigners doing normal jobs (coffee shops, waiters etc).
- It's a bit grubby in places but surprisingly clean in others.
- It's ****ing expensive.
- It's good fun.
- Brick Lane cuzza is certainly up there as one of the best I've had.
- It's non stop and piss easy to get around.

It's full, and I mean full...every ****ing 30 seconds full, of people asking / begging / even demanding your change for a hostel or their dog or some food.

That alone would genuinely make it hard to live there. I hated it.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not London, but the Millhouse report is for Derby and B'ham.

1) Everyone is fat
2) Everyone is miserable
3) Everyone appears to be stupid
(my son who lives there points out the above too)
4) All service jobs are done by eastern Europeans (who are alright)
5) Fruit / good foods are quite expensive - crap is cheap
6) People love sorting their rubbish into different coloured bins

The plus sides:
1) In winter, there are none. Summer is still amazing.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

1) Everyone is fat
2) Everyone is miserable

The plus sides:
However, just down the road from Brum is the Warwickshire Countryside with fantastic Gastropubs and brilliant countryside, it's NOT full of fat, miserable people and everyone is anything but stupid. Apart from a few footballers, look to the East of the M42.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:37 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bahtatboy's report:

1 night / 1 day in London:
1 Hadn't realised how expensive travel had got: tube, congestion charge, taxis.
2 On the other hand, parked the car in an underground car park for a day, cost me £15 (50% discount courtesy of the nearby hotel, which itself was good and good value).
3 Didn't notice that it was any less British than 10 years ago.

12 days in God's Own Country:
1 Awful, don't come.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 9:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Where were you in London? The number of tourists vary greatly depending where you are, although migrants/non-doms are everywhere. Hard to believe it but I remember when the staff at Costas were actually, you know, British.

I love London but it's shocking how expensive it is. I bleed money much more quickly in London than in Dubai despite many things being cheaper.

Pros to today's London: much cleaner, much safer and rapid gentrification has cleaned up many areas that were pretty grotty just five years ago. Shoreditch, King's Cross, Hackney and many points further eastwards. The cosmopolitan vibe is impressive and stimulating.

Downside: too bloody expensive. Even if you have a good salary a decent flat cost a fortune and it seems that normal people, even with upper middle class incomes, are being forced out of most of central London in lieu of affluent overseas buyers. Some areas of central London are now empty ghettos of non-doms/overseas owners who spend a few weeks a year in the city and leave the property empty the rest of the time. London feels increasingly isolated from the rest of the UK and less and less "British" as time goes on. What Britishness remains seems mostly the UK brand - Union Jack flag, Keep Calm Carry On posters and minis, all touted as just another style rather than anything meaningful.

Despite the positives I'm not sure if I like the long term trend towards being a playground for the global rich/students.
We were staying just off Brick Lane / Commercial St (or Road) in Spitalfields. All that sounds a bit shit, but it was a really cool, nice, relaxed and trendy area. Spitalfields (and as you mention) Shoreditch were nice to wander around and shop and drink. Not mega, but nice and a bit different.

Studios in the rough area were 350-500 GBP PER WEEK. High end is equivalent to roughly 140,000 dizzers a year. For a ****ing studio. Mental.

Originally Posted by Millhouse

1) Everyone is fat
2) Everyone is miserable

The plus sides:
Forgot the miserable bit.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you see someone who is not obese and tattooed who displays normal human behaviour, you will find on examination that they are FOREIGN. That certainly applies outside London. Not sure about the Great Wen. I avoid it. No place for a poor pensioner like me !
Old Jan 4th 2016, 2:18 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been working in the Smoke (bang centrail, pretty much) for the last 4 months. Thank God I get a break at weekends back in North Yorkshire. London is just too busy, noisy, expensive and full of posey, money-obsessed tossers. On the plus side, you will always find something to do or something different to eat...as long as you have money!
Old Jan 5th 2016, 1:21 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I've been working in the Smoke (bang centrail, pretty much) for the last 4 months. Thank God I get a break at weekends back in North Yorkshire. London is just too busy, noisy, expensive and full of posey, money-obsessed tossers. On the plus side, you will always find something to do or something different to eat...as long as you have money!
So a bit like Dubai then?
Old Jan 5th 2016, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Brick Lane/Commercial Road used to be my old stomping ground when I was working in the City. Its changed dramatically over the last 10 years. Brick Lane has now turned trendy whereas it used to be seedy/dodgedy to say the least! I remember last time i was in London, it was 06:30 and i was waiting at the trainstation - it was grey, cold, wet and many of the faces were miserable - then i remembered why i decided to move from the UK !!
Old Jan 5th 2016, 1:17 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

So a bit like Dubai then?
Indeed! I was just thinking that!
Old Jan 5th 2016, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I was in London I stayed in South Kensington. As a born and bred Anglo Saxon Englishman I really felt I was in the minority.
My deluded Mrs thought everybody was really friendly until we saw someone clearing a shelf of Holland and Barret products into their hoody.

I reported the theft to the girl on the counter who replied "it's ok it will be on cctv"!
Old Jan 5th 2016, 2:06 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Last time I was in London I stayed in South Kensington. As a born and bred Anglo Saxon Englishman I really felt I was in the minority.My deluded Mrs thought everybody was really friendly until we saw someone clearing a shelf of Holland and Barret products into their hoody. I reported the theft to the girl on the counter who replied "it's ok it will be on cctv"!
I saw a homeless guy carrying a bottle of booze just barge through the tube barriers at Kings Cross without swiping a card. I asked a nearby tube worker if he'd seen it and he just shrugged.