Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Local cars with fake dirt(?) sprayed on them....?

Wikiposts

Local cars with fake dirt(?) sprayed on them....?

Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:58 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local cars with fake dirt(?) sprayed on them....?

Originally Posted by The Dean
Well, if we are asking questions.............

When a party of four go out to a restaurant, and they put you on a table set for six, why does a waiter come along and clear away the other two place settings?? (Always puzzled and irritated me in equal measure)
Weird. Coz I think its totally logical and would irritate me if they didn't. Drinks get spilled, food gets dropped occasionally: so clear away cutlery and linen that's not going to get used. And--generally--six people at a table for six tends to be cramped: four people allows you all to spread out, and gives much more room for communal dishes (eg mezze and bread).
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
I often wondered why thwy did that?

Another thing, whats with the Allied Carpets on the dashboard??
Isn't the carpet on the Dashboard mostly a Pathan Taxi Driver thing?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:14 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy

They keep the import stickers in the windscreen here as well , to tell you that they've got a new car....

Wankers basically..
We have people turning up to flog their 4 year old cars, still with bagged seats and the Import sticker on trying to tell me its like new and still worth the same.

No you ******* eijit its 4 years old and has 60k on the clock, do you think a shitty piece of yellow paper and some sweaty bags on seats will fool people into paying the same price you did 4 years ago??

The one thing I really dont understand here is the obsession with sunroofs. A car must have a sunroof, why?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Isn't the carpet on the Dashboard mostly a Pathan Taxi Driver thing?
I have seen loads of locals in private cars with the same thing in AD. But yes it was more common in the old gold & white knackered AD cabs taht seemed to have disappeared since i was last here!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Weird. Coz I think its totally logical and would irritate me if they didn't. Drinks get spilled, food gets dropped occasionally: so clear away cutlery and linen that's not going to get used. And--generally--six people at a table for six tends to be cramped: four people allows you all to spread out, and gives much more room for communal dishes (eg mezze and bread).
Ah yes............ but they do it for normal a-la-carte restaurants too (i.e. when the waiter brings you an individual dish, then removes it when you're finished).

Your comment also implies that if the table is full (i.e. six people on a table set for six), it must be too cramped.........

My theory is that it's a psychological thing - if the table appears to be rather empty, you order more food.....
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:10 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Ah yes............ but they do it for normal a-la-carte restaurants too (i.e. when the waiter brings you an individual dish, then removes it when you're finished).

Your comment also implies that if the table is full (i.e. six people on a table set for six), it must be too cramped.........

My theory is that it's a psychological thing - if the table appears to be rather empty, you order more food.....
I have big elbows.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:44 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
the other day we went to a Restaurant, there was three of us but we sat on a table for 6 as two were joining us, we told them that, they cleared all three places, I just watched. Guests arrived so they had to re-set
This is because they have as much intelligence as a 1980's calculator. They are programmed to do things and no amount of logic / explaining will divert them.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
Its mostly on cars from Saudi, and what i have heard is they drive 1000km+ to reach Dubai and spray it to avoid too many pebbles chipping the front when they cruise at 180 kph
+1

a chip can happen at any speed
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Trytoby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britexpat76
We have people turning up to flog their 4 year old cars, still with bagged seats and the Import sticker on trying to tell me its like new and still worth the same.

No you ******* eijit its 4 years old and has 60k on the clock, do you think a shitty piece of yellow paper and some sweaty bags on seats will fool people into paying the same price you did 4 years ago??

The one thing I really dont understand here is the obsession with sunroofs. A car must have a sunroof, why?
So their kids have something to hang out of when they are travelling at 180kmph down the SZR!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:16 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trytoby
So their kids have something to hang out of when they are travelling at 180kmph down the SZR!
You are right.... I should of realised before now.