Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Leaving the UK-"free" money

Leaving the UK-"free" money

Old Feb 25th 2016, 10:36 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the UK-"free" money

Originally Posted by starsky_
Hi all - I've repeatedly read that once a British citizen officially leaves the UK (becomes a non-resident), HMRC (or other government agency) "gives" that citizen "free" money (in some form) but, as always, when you're looking for something you cannot find it. Could someone give the name of this scheme, please?
Do you really think the UK government just gives away money to expats? Seriously?

Depending on when you leave in a tax year there is often as small tax rebate based on reapportionment of the Personal Allowance and provided they are in existence when you leave you can continue contributing to a personal pension plan (although only up to GBP 3,600 a year for five year) and get tax relief but free money? Someone is pulling your leg.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 10:57 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Do you really think the UK government just gives away money to expats? Seriously?

Depending on when you leave in a tax year there is often as small tax rebate based on reapportionment of the Personal Allowance and provided they are in existence when you leave you can continue contributing to a personal pension plan (although only up to GBP 3,600 a year for five year) and get tax relief but free money? Someone is pulling your leg.
I found this advice on this website:

"In most cases only limited ongoing pension contributions can be made whilst someone is non-resident. Provided a personal pension or stakeholder scheme is already in force, an individual can continue to make contributions of up to £3,600 per annum for up to five years after their departure from the UK. With tax relief the cost of contributions would reduce to £2,880."

Old Feb 26th 2016, 12:30 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
I found this advice on this website:

"In most cases only limited ongoing pension contributions can be made whilst someone is non-resident. Provided a personal pension or stakeholder scheme is already in force, an individual can continue to make contributions of up to £3,600 per annum for up to five years after their departure from the UK. With tax relief the cost of contributions would reduce to £2,880."

Which is exactly what I said.

It's not a handout.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Meow
Which is exactly what I said.

It's not a handout.
....and me. Well that's what I tried to say.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 2:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be a UK government scheme that paid immigrants to return to their home country, or at least leave the UK. I don't recall what the sum paid was, but IIRC the scheme was cancelled back in the 1980's.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The original post is a reminder that not all pencils are sharp.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 2:23 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starsky_
Hi all - I've repeatedly read that once a British citizen officially leaves the UK (becomes a non-resident), HMRC (or other government agency) "gives" that citizen "free" money (in some form) but, as always, when you're looking for something you cannot find it. Could someone give the name of this scheme, please?
Ponzi.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember in the expat property boom that came to Bulgaria in the 2000's, Bulgarians had great problems in understanding why Brits would buy a second home in the Balkan Peninsula. So the story grew that the UK Government was giving Brits cash grants to go and buy houses there. This of course was all part of an evil imperialist plot to colonise Mother Bulgaria. People are capable of believing Total Tosh !