'King A/Cs

Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:22 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'King A/Cs

Moved to new apartment in AD last week. Hit nearly all the right buttons (location not brilliant, but size, decor, layout and so on made up for that). EXCEPT that the night before last didn't sleep a wink coz someone else's A/C was on all night and the hum/buzz was in my apartment. Will speak to landlord (who lives downstairs) but not hopeful of resolution. And summer's approaching...

Was marginally better last night--downloaded some white noise and ocean waves sounds and had them playing all night on my iPod dock which drowned out the A/C but could hardly be termed ideal.

Any suggestions? (If I get a ratio of 1:10 of sane:sarky I'll be pleased.)
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:06 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'King A/Cs

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Moved to new apartment in AD last week. Hit nearly all the right buttons (location not brilliant, but size, decor, layout and so on made up for that). EXCEPT that the night before last didn't sleep a wink coz someone else's A/C was on all night and the hum/buzz was in my apartment. Will speak to landlord (who lives downstairs) but not hopeful of resolution. And summer's approaching...

Was marginally better last night--downloaded some white noise and ocean waves sounds and had them playing all night on my iPod dock which drowned out the A/C but could hardly be termed ideal.

These are quite good, apparently:

http://cantonbecker.com/music/white-noise-sleep-sounds/

I'd rather listen to music, myself, but if you want more recommendations on white noise and ocean waves, I'm sure someone will assist.

Does this count as a sane or sarky response?

Last edited by Roadking; Mar 11th 2010 at 8:09 am.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:55 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

ear plugs?

by the way - welcome to the site - you appear to have the requisite humour and thick skin to stick it out here.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:01 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
ear plugs?

by the way - welcome to the site - you appear to have the requisite humour and thick skin to stick it out here.
He also appears to be intelligent. He's screwed.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:08 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
He also appears to be intelligent. He's screwed.
Don't be fooled by appearances. Maybe being screwed would take my mind off the noise...
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:12 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be fooled by appearances. Maybe being screwed would take my mind off the noise...
You could always try singing...to drown out the A/C noise, not as a replacement to being screwed.

On Ilkley Moor.... 'appen ye know the rest.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:13 am
Hit 16's

Thanks Roadking I'll try it out.

Tried earplugs, but the noise was more reverberation than airborne, so it was still in my head.

And thanks for the welcome. Maybe the thick skin accounts for having to buy a new set of clothes every 3 years--I thought I was just getting fat.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:17 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Roadking
You could always try singing...to drown out the A/C noise, not as a replacement to being screwed.

On Ilkley Moor.... 'appen ye know the rest.
Or maybe find someone who'll sing to me while I'm being screwed. But preferably not On Ilkla Moor B'ahtat, don't think it would help the ED...
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:17 am
If I have to explain...

Thanks Roadking I'll try it out.

Tried earplugs, but the noise was more reverberation than airborne, so it was still in my head.

And thanks for the welcome. Maybe the thick skin accounts for having to buy a new set of clothes every 3 years--I thought I was just getting fat.
Good vibrations?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to tell you but that is pretty much the way it is.

A cheaper option than ear plugs could to take a Chinese girl 'private' and get her to lay next to you in bed and cover your ears with her hands.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:48 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I'm sorry to tell you but that is pretty much the way it is.

A cheaper option than ear plugs could to take a Chinese girl 'private' and get her to lay next to you in bed and cover your ears with her hands.
I've got big ears. D'you think her hands would be big enough?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:56 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you found out yet how noisy your own a/c units are? It may take your mind off the noise of the neighbour's.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:06 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by lionheart
Have you found out yet how noisy your own a/c units are? It may take your mind off the noise of the neighbour's.
I'm a real namby pamby, can't sleep with them on--noise + draught = Hell. Think the white noise / ocean waves is probably the solution: have thought about trying to tough it out and get used to the noise, but spent 8 years in Japan and never got used to it then. Summer nights were spent half battling with the noise / draught (and in small rooms, too), then deciding enough was enough and then doing battle with open windows ending up with a sauna + 4 million cicadas at it. Should've stuck to colder climes.

Next time I go looking for somewhere else to live I'll ask if I can sleep there first.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:46 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a real namby pamby, can't sleep with them on--noise + draught = Hell. Think the white noise / ocean waves is probably the solution: have thought about trying to tough it out and get used to the noise, but spent 8 years in Japan and never got used to it then. Summer nights were spent half battling with the noise / draught (and in small rooms, too), then deciding enough was enough and then doing battle with open windows ending up with a sauna + 4 million cicadas at it. Should've stuck to colder climes.
I don't think even you will be able to sleep through an Abu Dhabi summer night without air-conditioning. The humidity is monstrous.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:09 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by lionheart
I don't think even you will be able to sleep through an Abu Dhabi summer night without air-conditioning. The humidity is monstrous.
A/Cs on full blast all day (I live alone so don't have to worry about family members getting hypothermia), bedroom A/C on full blast till the last possible minute--cools down the fabric of the building and usually lasts me all night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.