British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Kicking the habit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/kicking-habit-780587/)

Meow Dec 16th 2012 5:53 am

Re: Kicking the habit

I think it's about time I quit. I can go days without smoking if I don't go out, but once I am in a bar/with friends/have a drink in my hand, then I smoke. Binge smoking really.

I saw a photo of myself that was taken on Friday and I look fat in that, so I reckon it's time to take myself seriously in hand next week. (I'd be crazy to try before new year and the company annual dinner early Jan.)

Be warned. I am going to be even grumpier than usual...

Blue Cat Dec 16th 2012 7:15 am

yes it is on my mind too, husband is packing in as well, and I am back on the diet big time in January :)

Meow Dec 16th 2012 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10435815)
yes it is on my mind too, husband is packing in as well, and I am back on the diet big time in January :)

That's three of us and I think Tariq is too. The more the less miserable?

Blue Cat Dec 16th 2012 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10435826)
That's three of us and I think Tariq is too. The more the less miserable?

I suppose we should try, T can do it he has done it before

Meow Dec 16th 2012 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10435830)
I suppose we should try, T can do it he has done it before

But he lapsed...

Blue Cat Dec 16th 2012 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10435880)
But he lapsed...

as will we no doubt :)

Meow Dec 16th 2012 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10435926)
as will we no doubt :)

Nooooo. You can't think like that. Counter-productive! :p

Beaverstate Dec 16th 2012 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10435933)
Nooooo. You can't think like that. Counter-productive! :p

COLD TURKEY!!! The only effective way, suck it up, use willpower. Trust in yourself! :thumbsup:

scarletfanagain Dec 16th 2012 9:24 am

I quit 2.5 years ago but it was planned.

What worked for me was to pick an event 3 or 4 months ahead. I told myself that after this event, I would quit. The event (party) happened and the following morning, I threw a full packet in the bin. Craved a fag for a couple of days, but was coping ok.

About 10 days later, I was ready to start killing people, so I went around the office and found out who had the strongest fags available. Took one, lit up, chucked up, felt like I was going to pass out! Did the trick for me and every time I have a craving now, I remember the last fag I smoked. Kills the craving instantly.

Beaverstate Dec 16th 2012 9:31 am

Originally Posted by scarletfanagain (Post 10435957)
I quit 2.5 years ago but it was planned.

What worked for me was to pick an event 3 or 4 months ahead. I told myself that after this event, I would quit. The event (party) happened and the following morning, I threw a full packet in the bin. Craved a fag for a couple of days, but was coping ok.

About 10 days later, I was ready to start killing people, so I went around the office and found out who had the strongest fags available. Took one, lit up, chucked up, felt like I was going to pass out! Did the trick for me and every time I have a craving now, I remember the last fag I smoked. Kills the craving instantly.

Whatever works for you:thumbup: I however always smoked the strongest source I could find... Unfiltered Pall Mall, Cigars.. always inhaled.. Cold turkey was my answer. One week of hell, one week of misery, several weeks of WTF is missing. 4 years ago:thumbsup:

Welivehere Dec 16th 2012 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 10435942)
COLD TURKEY!!! The only effective way, suck it up, use willpower. Trust in yourself! :thumbsup:

Agree.. Read the Alan Carr book in Uk just before flying back here after a summer visit home... Got to airport and threw my fags in bin just before I got on plane ... 6 years ago and no desire to ever smoke again...

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 16th 2012 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Welivehere (Post 10436011)
Agree.. Read the Alan Carr book in Uk just before flying back here after a summer visit home... Got to airport and threw my fags in bin just before I got on plane ... 6 years ago and no desire to ever smoke again...

What does he say then?

britexpat76 Dec 16th 2012 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10436014)
What does he say then?

I found it typical american self help nonsense. Read book, smoked a fag.

Welivehere Dec 16th 2012 10:28 am

Simply put he breaks down the addiction into individual addictions / points and then either dispels them or provides guidance on how to delay with them.

Its not a huge book, not gory or scaremongering and he even tells you to carry on smoking whilst you read it....

Horses for courses but it worked for me and a few people I recommended it to.

Beaverstate Dec 16th 2012 10:28 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10436020)
I found it typical american self help nonsense. Read book, smoked a fag.

May help your self esteem if you quit calling them fags;)