Kayaking

Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kayaking

Proper stuff (albeit for a beginner), not the gentle paddle round the mangroves sort. Any options other than http://www.dskc.hu/portal/ ?

Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kayaking

1. Go to Adventure HQ
2. Buy a kayak
3. Adventure, fun and excitement
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:27 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Proper stuff (albeit for a beginner), not the gentle paddle round the mangroves sort. Any options other than http://www.dskc.hu/portal/ ?

I'm not sure if they offer adult lessons, but try the Kite Beach.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

http://noukhada.ae/

Have been with them before. They have been in the Entertainer Abu Dhabi the last couple of years, haven't seen the 2013 one yet.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

That seems a bit much, no? Not even a day of rest, just two days where you have a little time off.

Seems so extreme.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:48 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
That seems a bit much, no? Not even a day of rest, just two days where you have a little time off.

Seems so extreme.
Yeah. Looking elsewhere on the site it seems that do starter lessons, but the site hasn't been updated for ages.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yeah. Looking elsewhere on the site it seems that do starter lessons, but the site hasn't been updated for ages.
It's something that I've been offered to do once or twice but by the same bloke and I'm not confident he has a clue about the currents and stuff out here. Avoided it but someone did the AD mango swamp stuff and said it was brilliant.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:01 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Scamp
It's something that I've been offered to do once or twice but by the same bloke and I'm not confident he has a clue about the currents and stuff out here. Avoided it but someone did the AD mango swamp stuff and said it was brilliant.
I did the mangrove (mango?) one in AD and it was great, but I fancy the sea kayaks but without the fanaticism that seems to go with the serious club. Just been looking round the Noukhada site which seems good...
Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:38 am
Account Closed

I did the mangrove (mango?) one in AD and it was great, but I fancy the sea kayaks but without the fanaticism that seems to go with the serious club. Just been looking round the Noukhada site which seems good...
Sorry, thought mangrove, typed mango...bizarre.

There must be a club or something that have it somewhere in the middle...will let you know if I hear of anything as a lad in the office goes kayaking.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really need lessons? Unless you're going to get an actual, enclosed kayak where you will need know how to eskimo roll, I really can't see the point of lessons. A sea kayak (which you sit on, rather than in) is dead simple.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:58 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by csdf
Do you really need lessons? Unless you're going to get an actual, enclosed kayak where you will need know how to eskimo roll, I really can't see the point of lessons. A sea kayak (which you sit on, rather than in) is dead simple.
That's what I was thinking. Then I saw all the various levels of courses on Noukhada and thought, shit, this is like preparing for a round-the-world voyage. Reckon as a first off I'll go and rent one from down on JBR, try it out for an hour or so within striking distance of the shore, and see how it goes. If I don't post for a couple of days, please send out a seach party...
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Seriously, unless you're completely inept, it will be a doddle.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Where are you going? Still water or currents? You need training and strength to go where there are currents. (remembers with horror a day on an overflowing river in Calendar where I literally capsized my canoe and swam to shore after 2.5 klicks when my nerves and strength reserves had simply had enough.)
Old Jan 8th 2013, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Presumably the Arabian Gulf. In which case your biggest problem is likely to be jet-skiers, for which I presume there is little preventative training*

* Though one fun thing is to string a piano wire between two kayaks and see if you can get a jet-skier to scoot between the two.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:31 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
Presumably the Arabian Gulf. In which case your biggest problem is likely to be jet-skiers, for which I presume there is little preventative training*

* Though one fun thing is to string a piano wire between two kayaks and see if you can get a jet-skier to scoot between the two.
I've always found pulling the paddle all the way out the water and positioning it like a baseball bat tends to send them a clear message.

You think coming near me is funny... I don't think the end of this in your face will be.