Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Kandoora/dishdash finery

Kandoora/dishdash finery

Old May 19th 2009, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all
Default Kandoora/dishdash finery

Obviously the Gold 'over cape' implies some kind of officialdom/prestige, and I am starting to think that the black relates to academic stuff (after seeing so many at a graduation), but does anyone know what entitles one to wear the various additions to the standard kandoora?
Cheers,
CH
Old May 20th 2009, 2:16 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kandoora/dishdash finery

Originally Posted by Cry haddock
Obviously the Gold 'over cape' implies some kind of officialdom/prestige, and I am starting to think that the black relates to academic stuff (after seeing so many at a graduation), but does anyone know what entitles one to wear the various additions to the standard kandoora?
Cheers,
CH
yes gold is for they Royals, not sure about the black as I have seen alot wearing black during the winter months, and blue seems popular too. I am sure someone will know
Old May 20th 2009, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

The gold overthrow is not just for royals but 'VIPs' too - such as Heads of Government Departments, members of the Executive Council etc etc.

The darker coloured kandoors are generally worn in the cooler winter months although can be worn at any time - there is no relevance to the different colours.

I prefer the darker ones, I think they look cooler!
Old May 20th 2009, 4:14 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
The gold overthrow is not just for royals but 'VIPs' too - such as Heads of Government Departments, members of the Executive Council etc etc.

The darker coloured kandoors are generally worn in the cooler winter months although can be worn at any time - there is no relevance to the different colours.

I prefer the darker ones, I think they look cooler!
seen a couple of dark grey pinstriped ones, quite nice...
Old May 20th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cry haddock
Cheers,
CH
The Bistch is worn for royals and VIPs when attending formal gatherings, it is also customery to wear this at weddings for the groom and immediate family members.

the kandoora with the collar that is straight is Saudi / Kuwait Style, the one with the same as a shirt collar is saudi / kuwait, the one with the round neck and rope in the centre is UAE and the one with the rope on the left side is Omani.

Colours depend on seasons and fashion, long time ago red and white headgear indicated that you were from Saudi but now this is not the case, the younger generation also wrap the Ghatura (white) around the head.

Last edited by banter64; May 20th 2009 at 6:59 am. Reason: spelling
Old May 20th 2009, 5:57 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banter64
The Bistch is worn for royals and VIPs when attending formal gatherings, it is also customery to wear this at weddings for the groom and immediate family members.

the kandoor with the collar that is straight is Saudi / Kuwait Style, the one with the same as a shirt collar is saudi / kuwait, the one with the round neck and rope in the centre is UAE and the one with the rope on the left side is Omani.

Colours depend on seasons and fashion, long time ago red and white headgear indicated that you were from Saudi but now this is not the case, the younger generation also wrap the Ghatura (white) around the head.
I remember being told something along those lines when I arrived in KSA..

Was told that the red & white indicated Sunni and the plain white (I Was based in Eastern Province...) was Shi'a..
Old May 20th 2009, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Was told that the red & white indicated Sunni and the plain white (I Was based in Eastern Province...) was Shi'a..
interesting I have never heard that, the only way that I know of telling the difference from Shia and Sunni is from the way that they pray and also most shia have a mark on the head from praying as they pray with a piece of torba (holy stone)
Old May 20th 2009, 6:01 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banter64
interesting I have never heard that, the only way that I know of telling the difference from Shia and Sunni is from the way that they pray and also most shia have a mark on the head from praying as they pray with a piece of torba (holy stone)
Aye, knew that, as most of the drivers we had in Dammam were Shi'a, and actually showed me the difference in how they carry out prayers, from the Sunni
Old May 20th 2009, 6:54 am
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

The Off white usually or Brown kandoora cover is usually worn by VIPs or the Royal Family. Black usually goes for the Shieks, the islamic shieks I mean.

But there is no standard, in wearing such. It depends in an ocassion, for example if I was a local and I will be meeting a shiek I won't wear a golden rope as it will be disresectful. But I can wear black if VIP and if not just my kandoora or dishdash. etc..

Golden is the highest
Black is the second
other colors are the rest
Old May 20th 2009, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

i love all the dishdashes...

MM, xx