Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Just landed... looking to explore

Just landed... looking to explore

Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:24 am
Just Joined

dinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nice
Default Just landed... looking to explore

Just landed in Dubai and looking for some kind-hearted expats to show me the ropes. Absolutely zero local knowledge so far apart from an eye-opening trip to a couple of bars last night.

29 yr old british male, into music, going out, sports, travel, funny people, road trips etc. All-round good dude. Know nobody here and could use a buddy or two to go exploring with. Give me a shout if you think you could help or are in the same boat even..

Thanks.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just landed... looking to explore

some of the guys are meeting up at the Agency in the madinat this evening...check out the thread in the sandpit and pm inselaffen for more details...

MM, xx
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
some of the guys are meeting up at the Agency in the madinat this evening...check out the thread in the sandpit and pm inselaffen for more details...

MM, xx
I'm crocked from hockey so probably wont end up going tonight.

the OP can always come along to the pub quiz on Monday night
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinkerson
Just landed in Dubai and looking for some kind-hearted expats to show me the ropes. Absolutely zero local knowledge so far apart from an eye-opening trip to a couple of bars last night.

29 yr old british male, into music, going out, sports, travel, funny people, road trips etc. All-round good dude. Know nobody here and could use a buddy or two to go exploring with. Give me a shout if you think you could help or are in the same boat even..

Thanks.
what bars did you explore?...........

just so we can make a character assessment
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:08 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure pinebluff would be interested in a night out! he has only been here a few days too
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

dinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nicedinkerson is just really nice

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
what bars did you explore?...........

just so we can make a character assessment
character assessment you say? hmmm... this isn't how it looks/wasn't my idea etc etc but we went to the red lion and then..... rattle snake(?).. that place was an eye opener..

if anyone knows of any bars with a few less hookers and mentals i'm all ears..
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:47 pm

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

character assessment you say? hmmm... this isn't how it looks/wasn't my idea etc etc but we went to the red lion and then..... rattle snake(?).. that place was an eye opener..

Ah, that appears to be the same baptism of fire I was subjected to when I first arrived in Dubai 9 months ago!! I have found a few better bars but gimme an idea of where you are in town, coz I only know of ones where I am (Barsha, behind the Mall of the Emirates)
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

\

Ahh the good old Metropolitan....

Dont worry, we have all been there, some more than others no doubt (the Dean)
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
Ah, that appears to be the same baptism of fire I was subjected to when I first arrived in Dubai 9 months ago!! I have found a few better bars but gimme an idea of where you are in town, coz I only know of ones where I am (Barsha, behind the Mall of the Emirates)
yeah, baptism of fire is right.. was scared for my life at one point.

i'm in the greens. is that close by?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the Snake is that kind of place..... more so in fact since Cyclone was closed down a year or so ago.

Mind you - WHAT a band! If you can ignore all the "Where you flom? You velly nice" being shouted in your ear, the Soundsations are, IMHO, the best band in town.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Dean
Yes the Snake is that kind of place..... more so in fact since Cyclone was closed down a year or so ago.

Mind you - WHAT a band! If you can ignore all the "Where you flom? You velly nice" being shouted in your ear, the Soundsations are, IMHO, the best band in town.

have you been to the 'seashores' i think it is, with a philipino band that plays?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

greens and barsha are pretty much the same (more or less)

give or take a few roads
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:38 pm

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Relatively speaking. Depends what you are looking for..

Barasti (in Le Meridien Mina Seyahi) is good, loads of expats, good sports coverage, good mix of ages and nationalities.

Finnegans (in The Palm Hotel) has a bit more of a pub atmosphere, good band I'm told.

Have a look at those 2. Whichever one appeals most will determine some other bars I can direct you to...
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
have you been to the 'seashores' i think it is, with a philipino band that plays?
Yea - can't remember their name but pretty good too.

All the good bands are Filipino.........
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
Relatively speaking. Depends what you are looking for..

Barasti (in Le Meridien Mina Seyahi) is good, loads of expats, good sports coverage, good mix of ages and nationalities.

Finnegans (in The Palm Hotel) has a bit more of a pub atmosphere, good band I'm told.

Have a look at those 2. Whichever one appeals most will determine some other bars I can direct you to...
thanks. i'll check them out sometime. do they have a different 'atmosphere' to the snake? i.e. can i leave my shitty stick at home?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.