Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

John Lewis stocks hijabs as school uniform

John Lewis stocks hijabs as school uniform

Old Aug 18th 2014, 9:25 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: John Lewis stocks hijabs as school uniform

Originally Posted by Bipat
At my son's strict (Cof E based) boys school, the few Sikh boys there, wore head covering in the specific school colour.
That sounds reasonable. Which, ultimately, what it should all be about (reasonableness). Unfortunately, that's not where we are and certainly not where we're headed...
Old Aug 18th 2014, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Possibly. Here are a few more:

A mob ransacks a Tesco store targetting Jewish goods. Not one mention in the press of religiously-aggravated crime.

A Sainsbury's strips its own stores of Isaeli-origin goods.

If the above had been a group of skinheads targetting Halal food and a major supermarket ditching Halal food, what would have been the reaction by the police, the Muslim community, and the media?

According to the Telegraph in May 2014, Waitrose, M&S and Morrisons sell Halal meat that isn't labelled as such, and Pizza Express, Harvester, Beefeater, Slug & Lettuce, Costa, Greggs and KFC serve Halal meat without that fact being apparent on their menus.

Similarly, turn that round and assume that pork was being included in products but not labelled as such.

And we've got state-sponsored schools indoctrinating children in a religion which forbids them from leaving it, at pain of death.
All fine examples of Britain's tolerant society.
While I would agree with zero toleration of extreme, radical Muslim groups
Only radical groups/states have this ruling. Many Muslims worldwide leave their religion for no religion, or marry 'out'.
Why make such a big 'issue' about wearing hijab in schools.

Yesterday evening Hindu OH was pointing out (sarcastically I think), the BBC Muslim lady newsreader '"showng her bare arms".

I (Christian brought up) have been known to frown on backless blouses, or crop tops at Hindu weddings in India.

Dress is always partly 'fashion' why make such a 'thing' about it??? Wearing headscarves by teenage girls in schools leading to the overturning of British society*!!!!! Please!

*Teenage pregnancy rate has done far more to make a negative change of UK society.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 10:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

While I would agree with zero toleration of extreme, radical Muslim groups
Only radical groups/states have this ruling. Many Muslims worldwide leave their religion for no religion, or marry 'out'.
Why make such a big 'issue' about wearing hijab in schools.

Yesterday evening Hindu OH was pointing out (sarcastically I think), the BBC Muslim lady newsreader '"showng her bare arms".

I (Christian brought up) have been known to frown on backless blouses, or crop tops at Hindu weddings in India.

Dress is always partly 'fashion' why make such a 'thing' about it??? Wearing headscarves by teenage girls in schools leading to the overturning of British society*!!!!! Please!

*Teenage pregnancy rate has done far more to make a negative change of UK society.
Why?
Old Aug 18th 2014, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Why?
Because to my ancient, pensioner self, such clothes were disrespectful at a solemn ceremony, but not so important. Something to gossip about; did you see her etc.
(Certainly wear them at the reception).
Old Aug 18th 2014, 10:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Because to my ancient, pensioner self, such clothes were disrespectful at a solemn ceremony, but not so important. Something to gossip about; did you see her etc.
(Certainly wear them at the reception).
Understood.

I know little about Hinduism etc or whether it's at all related or not but I find it less than appealing when older Indian ladies wear Sari's revealing their fat, old midriff / lower back / sides.

(Caveat: Just as I would if my Mum did).
Old Aug 18th 2014, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Understood.

I know little about Hinduism etc or whether it's at all related or not but I find it less than appealing when older Indian ladies wear Sari's revealing their fat, old midriff / lower back / sides.

(Caveat: Just as I would if my Mum did).
Old fat women are unappealing whatever they expose, midriff or cleavage.

I think you have confirmed my point about the British unnecessary obsession with various dress codes/fashions.
The majority of younger* Hindu women, anywhere in the world, only wear saris for special occasions. Some older Muslim women in our Indian home town do wear saris, other Muslim young girls in jeans, a few strict types in hijab or burqa.

*except the very, very poor as saris can be cheaper than alternatives, nothing to do with religion.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
The Saxons took over what is now England and forever changed the legal system, language and culture with around 5% of the native population.
Because the invitation of a military elite into a failed state as mercenaries 1600 years ago is a relevant model.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 11:58 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

A uniform that isn't uniform isn't a uniform.
When I was a lad there was a choice between wearing grey/black shorts and wearing grey/black trousers. Are you saying it wasn't a uniform because there was a choice?
Old Aug 18th 2014, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

Old fat women are unappealing whatever they expose, midriff or cleavage.

I think you have confirmed my point about the British unnecessary obsession with various dress codes/fashions.
The majority of younger* Hindu women, anywhere in the world, only wear saris for special occasions. Some older Muslim women in our Indian home town do wear saris, other Muslim young girls in jeans, a few strict types in hijab or burqa.

*except the very, very poor as saris can be cheaper than alternatives, nothing to do with religion.
It's not an obsession, I just think it's hugely unattractive and wonder why they do it if not required?
Old Aug 18th 2014, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's not an obsession, I just think it's hugely unattractive and wonder why they do it if not required?
Do what?? Wear low cut frocks? saris? or hijabs?

If you have been wearing something all your life it is a fixed habit for the elderly like wrinkled stockings and tweed pleated skirts, hugely unattractive
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikewot
Concur. Religion should have no place in schooling. Schools are for teaching children how to think, not what to think.

while I agree that school should not get involved in indoctrinating children with any particular religious views as that’s the job of the parents, I however believe that children should rather be taught the subject of comparative religion. This is so for the simple reason that the majority of the human beings in the world adhere to religious beliefs and that includes the Queen. However, The religious book that should be taught in schools should not be a holly book, but rather a text book with more than one author. An author from every major religion in the world contributing a section in this book describing the logic, the rationality, and the mystique of their beliefs so that children can effectively have a unbiased and impartial view about the world religions. But I think there is a snag here, as such an approach can be a recipe for a future disaster since most likely those children will end up following the world's fastest growing religion when they become adults!!
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:49 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redShark
while I agree that school should not get involved in indoctrinating children with any particular religious views as that’s the job of the parents...
And there we have it precisely and succinctly. Don't allow your children to think.

End of debate. Mods, please close the thread.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by redShark
while I agree that school should not get involved in indoctrinating children with any particular religious views as that’s the job of the parents, I however believe that children should rather be taught the subject of comparative religion. This is so for the simple reason that the majority of the human beings in the world adhere to religious beliefs and that includes the Queen. However, The religious book that should be taught in schools should not be a holly book, but rather a text book with more than one author. An author from every major religion in the world contributing a section in this book describing the logic, the rationality, and the mystique of their beliefs so that children can effectively have a unbiased and impartial view about the world religions. But I think there is a snag here, as such an approach can be a recipe for a future disaster since most likely those children will end up following the world's fastest growing religion when they become adults!!
Agree with the views of schools and indoctrination.
However this thread is about the wearing of a hijab by girls. If that is their custom it is not indoctrination by the school to allow them to wear it.
Sikh boys wearing a turban, are they being indoctrinated by the school?

Most of my age group in UK went to Sunday school, were we being indoctrinated ? Yes! that is what parents do! but most of us make up our own minds, go our own way or pretend!!!
Old Aug 19th 2014, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Concur. Religion should have no place in schooling. Schools are for teaching children how to think, not what to think.
Oh since when did that happen ?
Don't you mean Schools are for teaching children what we want them to think rather than what other religions want them to think ?

Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:36 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

And there we have it precisely and succinctly. Don't allow your children to think.

End of debate. Mods, please close the thread.

I was lucky in the fact that my parents allowed me to think for myself and choose to follow any religion.

As a new father it worries me the way this world is headed, just taking two examples of Nigeria and Iraq...women and girls kidnapped and forced into a way of life they haven't chosen.

And one particular religion really disappoints me, as mentioned earlier we have seen huge demonstrations against Israel's actions in Gaza (and what happened there was terrible). Unless I have missed something, have we seen similar demonstrations demanding action in Iraq/Syria where the atrocities are far, far worse?

Unfortunately there are people out there who are so blinkered in their beliefs that they cannot just live and let live. And yes RedShark, you are one of them. You've just made your views crystal clear, parents should indocrinate their children. With people like you having children, the cycle will only continue for future generations .

I actually could not care less if John Lewis sells hijabs, if that's what people want to buy then it makes sense as a retailer to stock them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.