Job offer

Old May 31st 2022, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Thefiremaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer

Hi all

We are a family of 3 ( 1kid about 2 yrs old) considering a move to Abu dhabi! I am an engineer with 7-8 years of experience.. the company is well known and they have offered 33k with medical insurance for the family and first flight over there. They would not add more to that! Is this considered enough nowadays specially after covid and inflation?
cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer

- What level of medical insurance?
- Are school fees included in the 33k? This will typically be 5-8k per child per month
- Is housing included in the 33k?
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Medical insurance covers me and the family. it is not clear at this point on what it covers specifically but he said it was a good insurance.

There are no other allowances. Only basic salary of 33 k.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I'd check on the insurance - for me a "good" insurance basically covers everything including dental, with a broad network and no deductions. If you're British or live in the UK you might not be used to thinking about this, but don't ignore it.

Also, will your spouse/partner be working?

Broadly, 33k for one person is fine, for a couple where only one works is OK but not brilliant, for a family with a small child is borderline and will certainly make you think twice about growing the family.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 7:55 am
Just Joined

I will definitely check on insurance.. as you said, one doesn't think about it in the UK.

She is a dietitian so I guess there will be some certificate validation process before she can work in the field there.

Understood. I will try to negotiate the offer more I guess. Question is, is it still common to give such allowances after covid/inflation. I guess they should!
Old Jun 4th 2022, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

30-35k is now the going rate for a mid-manager role. If you had GCC experience then you could have pushed it up to 40k. Packages, especially in engineering/construction, have less and less extras.

A family of 3 could survive and live a decent life on 33k.