British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Japan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/japan-890999/)

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 21st 2017 3:57 am

Re: Japan

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12184694)
I haven't travelled much in Okinawa, but you could certainly chill there -- although I'd be inclined to do Honshu exclusively if you're travelling that far. I'd cut the time down in Hiroshima (that's my kids' advice, anyway).

And before you go, be sure to watch Black Rain, Kill Bill 2, Kurosawa's Shichinin no Sumarai, Hiroshima Mon Amour (hide the scissors first), and whatever Takakura Ken movie you can find.

Thanks. I'm not fussed about Okinawa, it's phenomenally expensive for hotels from what I see.
Hiroshima is important to go to for me, but sounds like a day or so.
My main concern was that we'll be about 2 weeks bowling around 3-4 cities and never just chilling.

Is 4 days in Tokyo about right?
If so, add 2-3 in Kyoto, overnight in Hiroshima and we're basically done, but with quite a lot of travelling in between.

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12184801)
Ginza area is expensive, but it is conveniently central, so depending on what you want to do/see, it might be worth it.

Hiroshima, I wouldn't do more than a couple days. Travel there, do the museum, spend the night and bounce.

Kyoto, is lovely, but there's so much to see/do that you don't want to be wasting time travelling back and forth so pick what you want to see and plan it out in advance. There are pretty good travel tours for the area though that might be worth joining.

Okinawa, not really worth it with the time you're spending in Japan. If you're heading south, Fukuoka is worth the couple of days. The aquarium is supposed to be very impressive but if you don't have kids, I don't know how much you'd care. Fukuoka Castle, if you're in the area and the couple of other shrines and parks are worth a visit. The gardens are lovely but how pleasant would depend on time of year you're going as it gets mega humid on the southern islands in the summer time. Asahi brewery tour if they still do it is worth a punt if you're into that sort of thing too.

Thanks.
Ginza does seem pricey, but being central is handy. We'll see.
Great shout on Asahi. Also just found that Yamazaki is made near Kyoto. :thumbup:
Will look into Fukuoka.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 1st 2017 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 12180004)
Get the Japan Rail Pass, the more expensive one that offers travel in Green Cars (basically the first-class cars). You do have to make a reservation for any trips, but you can do that more-or-less immediately prior to travel.

So, I've been looking at the Japan Rail Pass.
Great idea for the bullet trains to Kyoto / Hiroshima etc. But is it any use for in Tokyo or in Kyoto on metro / subways? It seems quite limited to just the JR lines?

I'm basically trying to work out if, for my 10 day trip, option A or B is better:

A.
Buy the 14 day JR Pass.
Use immediately for Narita Express and all travel where possible.
Normal = £296 / Green = £403

B.
Buy the 7 day JR Pass.
Don't start it until leaving Tokyo for Kyoto to cover the last 7 days of the holiday.
Buy daily / 3 day metro / subway tickets for the 4 days in Tokyo and buy the Narita Express ticket for journey in after flight.
Normal = £186 / Green = £248

Option B makes the Green pass more realistic. I'm thinking £806 is a bit much for two train tickets....

Dubaiexile Aug 1st 2017 5:54 am

If it was me I would chill in Tokyo for a few days and then launch into the sightseeing / travelling mode...so Option B.

And know you will get a lot of opposing views to just confuse you lol, but I am sure you are capable of doing what is best in your interests!

Dubaiexile Aug 1st 2017 5:55 am

I am doing a Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi trip soon on motorbikes, we have an itinerary of sorts but not binding so quite looking forward to that!

Millhouse Aug 1st 2017 6:39 am

I'm going to Tokyo in October, quite excited. Although as a non fish eater, I'm expecting to have to live on rice and beer for the week.

Bahtatboy Aug 1st 2017 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12306696)
I'm going to Tokyo in October, quite excited. Although as a non fish eater, I'm expecting to have to live on rice and beer for the week.

Plenty of veggie and meat alternatives to fish.

Millhouse Aug 1st 2017 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12306705)
Plenty of veggie and meat alternatives to fish.

Super, I may not return.

Bahtatboy Aug 1st 2017 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12306707)
Super, I may not return.

From or to?

Miss Ann Thrope Aug 1st 2017 7:08 am

Aha; somebody owes me twenty quid then....

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 1st 2017 7:23 am

Snap. I'm relying on steak, rice and beer.

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 12306678)
If it was me I would chill in Tokyo for a few days and then launch into the sightseeing / travelling mode...so Option B.

And know you will get a lot of opposing views to just confuse you lol, but I am sure you are capable of doing what is best in your interests!

We have 4 nights in Tokyo to start so crunching some numbers tells me that
Option A = 2901 AED / 3949 AED (Green class)
Option B = 2195 AED / 2911 AED (Green Class)

Option B, Green Class looks more sensible at the moment. Better quality transport and same price as Option A normal class....

Bahtatboy Aug 1st 2017 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12306720)
Snap. I'm relying on steak, rice and beer.

We have 4 nights in Tokyo to start so crunching some numbers tells me that
Option A = 2901 AED / 3949 AED (Green class)
Option B = 2195 AED / 2911 AED (Green Class)

Option B, Green Class looks more sensible at the moment. Better quality transport and same price as Option A normal class....

Green Class is definitely worth it if you'll be travelling at busy times.

Dubaiexile Aug 1st 2017 8:24 am

here you go Scamp, this is what happens if you don`t buy the green option lol

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 1st 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12306726)
Green Class is definitely worth it if you'll be travelling at busy times.

I'm thinking Option B Part II is the thing to go for.
Sent to the good lady for approval, I can guarantee she'll suggest Option B Part I. :lol::rofl:

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 12306744)
here you go Scamp, this is what happens if you don`t buy the green option lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Xg7ui5mLA

Will take more than just one or two to heave me onto a train :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 1st 2017 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12168491)
Emirates want 4,500 ish
Qatar Business want 6,500 ish.

Might go with the latter purely because I'm getting really bored of Emirates.

Glad I didn't do this btw....

Dubaiexile Aug 1st 2017 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12306753)
Glad I didn't do this btw....

That would have put a smile on her indoors face...:eek::eek::eek::eek: