British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Japan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/japan-890999/)

DXBtoDOH Aug 22nd 2017 12:51 pm

Re: Japan

Midgies or not I am looking forward to Skye. Thanks for the recs - and warnings. We're walking the Cuillins but other things as well. I'm loading up on DEET and head nets in Edinburgh.

Bob Aug 22nd 2017 1:01 pm

Sounds like you had a fun time!

Did you get a chance to get to Fukuoka and the Asahi brewery?

jam25mack Aug 22nd 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12321953)
Spent 2 years on Skye building that awful bridge 25 years ago . Great place to see and get around .The local Jockanese are as mad as a bag of ferrets .

Those Midges will eat you alive , seen nothing like it .

I agree. Really enjoyed Skye even though I was only there for 4 weeks. Was pissed the majority of the time.

Also, watch yourself in Portree DXB-DOHA, its a fave hideout of many of the Weegie gangsters on the run. They seem to think that no one knows about them either. Worst kept secret in Scotland.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 22nd 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12321988)
Sounds like you had a fun time!

Did you get a chance to get to Fukuoka and the Asahi brewery?

Neither sadly, we saw the Asahi Office and the golden sperm beer hall from a boat ride down the river.

The only way I made up for not visiting any breweries or distilleries was by drinking many, many, many Asahi's and many, many, many Yamazaki's. :thumbup:

Bob Aug 22nd 2017 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12321993)
Neither sadly, we saw the Asahi Office and the golden sperm beer hall from a boat ride down the river.

The only way I made up for not visiting any breweries or distilleries was by drinking many, many, many Asahi's and many, many, many Yamazaki's. :thumbup:

Gotta leave something for the next trip, right? :D

The train system is amazing though. Just wonder why know one else is able to crack it, with trains stopping when they're meant to and all that fun stuff and the bullet train really is a fun ride and I can't believe it's still up there as one of the fastest trains, yet is sooo bloody old now.

Bahtatboy Aug 22nd 2017 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12321993)

Super Dry? Canned or draught or both? Did you try Sapporo Black? God I could murder a beer right now ... 2:16 in the afternoon, then just carry on till it gets dark.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 22nd 2017 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12321998)
Gotta leave something for the next trip, right? :D

The train system is amazing though. Just wonder why know one else is able to crack it, with trains stopping when they're meant to and all that fun stuff and the bullet train really is a fun ride and I can't believe it's still up there as one of the fastest trains, yet is sooo bloody old now.

Absolutely!

I loved the trains, even the above ground commuter types, all clean, well AC'd, looked after, on time and organised. Wonderful.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12322002)
Super Dry? Canned or draught or both? Did you try Sapporo Black? God I could murder a beer right now ... 2:16 in the afternoon, then just carry on till it gets dark.

Super Dry, draft. TOTALLY DREAMY. Easily one of the nicest lagers in the world. I tried many different beers and Sapporo was definitely one, but not loads. I jumped for Asahi when I saw it because Kirin wasn't a favourite at all, Yebisu was OK (I got them the wrong way round earlier)....lots of places just craft beers, seems big business but most of those were just the same as you'd get here or in the UK. I only wanted Japanese stuff.

Sho-cho was fun. Especially coming out a 4 or 5 litre plastic barrel that looked like it should be pouring white spirit.

Bahtatboy Aug 22nd 2017 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12322009)
Super Dry, draft. TOTALLY DREAMY. Easily one of the nicest lagers in the world. I tried many different beers and Sapporo was definitely one, but not loads. I jumped for Asahi when I saw it because Kirin wasn't a favourite at all, Yebisu was OK (I got them the wrong way round earlier)....lots of places just craft beers, seems big business but most of those were just the same as you'd get here or in the UK. I only wanted Japanese stuff.

Sho-cho was fun. Especially coming out a 4 or 5 litre plastic barrel that looked like it should be pouring white spirit.

Yeah, I really like Japanese beer. They learned how to make it from zee Germans, but like with most things Japanese, it's got rice added to it. Really crisp, clean and quaffable. And whisky of course from the Scots -- interesting story how that happened ... I'll see if I can dig it up. (And school uniforms inspired by those of the German Navy, but that's one weird road to travel through to it's current state.)

Never really got into shōchū, although I drink the Korean equivalent quite often now (soju -- more or less the same pronunciation), but only coz that's all that's available after the beer n wine's gone. The drink of the masses, basically.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 22nd 2017 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12322035)
Yeah, I really like Japanese beer. They learned how to make it from zee Germans, but like with most things Japanese, it's got rice added to it. Really crisp, clean and quaffable. And whisky of course from the Scots -- interesting story how that happened ... I'll see if I can dig it up. (And school uniforms inspired by those of the German Navy, but that's one weird road to travel through to it's current state.)

Never really got into shōchū, although I drink the Korean equivalent quite often now (soju -- more or less the same pronunciation), but only coz that's all that's available after the beer n wine's gone. The drink of the masses, basically.

Thanks, interesting. Will read more...the influences in many things were obvious but there was always a Japanese take on it, not just a copy.

Shochu was cool, basically the guy put some ice in a pint glass, 3/4 filled it with the the good stuff, squeeze of lemon and topped up with soda. Wonderful. Brought a bottle home and a bottle of plum wine because that was pleasant too. Both a beautiful bottles too, so they'll do nicely on my shelf. :thumbup:

jam25mack Aug 23rd 2017 4:58 am

LOVE Asahi.... easily one of my top 3 beers. Kirin is OK too. Has Sapporo years ago but can't remember it.

Asian beers are generally pretty good.

Surprised to hear they evolved from Zee Germans as generally German beer is firmly welded to the bottom of my list.