Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Internet Access- Privacy and Security

Internet Access- Privacy and Security

Old Oct 18th 2019, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

cookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of light
Default Internet Access- Privacy and Security

I had some issues with my broadband connection in Qatar. I called the customer service and the chap at the other end kindly helped to restart the router and some other device(that also looks like a router and fixed to the wall permanently). He then said that I needed to change the wireless password by logging to the router and said he could change it for me to whatever I preferred. I declined his offer and changed it myself. There were a number of things that worried me from this experience
  • The chap from the call centre knows what the name of my wifi network sitting remotely
  • He can change the password of my network from his desk remotely
From your experience in the region is it common for ISPs to be able to monitor their clients, their wireless networks and change passwords? While it is bit scary to think they can do it, is the view that I should have been aware of this and my internet access should be limited to 'sensible and non-controversial' websites?
Old Oct 18th 2019, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Access- Privacy and Security

Originally Posted by cookiedad
I had some issues with my broadband connection in Qatar. I called the customer service and the chap at the other end kindly helped to restart the router and some other device(that also looks like a router and fixed to the wall permanently). He then said that I needed to change the wireless password by logging to the router and said he could change it for me to whatever I preferred. I declined his offer and changed it myself. There were a number of things that worried me from this experience
  • The chap from the call centre knows what the name of my wifi network sitting remotely
  • He can change the password of my network from his desk remotely
From your experience in the region is it common for ISPs to be able to monitor their clients, their wireless networks and change passwords? While it is bit scary to think they can do it, is the view that I should have been aware of this and my internet access should be limited to 'sensible and non-controversial' websites?
buy your own router
Old Oct 18th 2019, 9:46 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Use a VPN if you're worried about your ISP checking your internet usage.
Old Oct 20th 2019, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

The router likely has remote access enabled so they can do that sort of thing. I bet they get hundreds of calls a day but assuming you can log in to the router and access its management screens you can likely disable that.
The other box is likely just the cable modem to convert the fibre or phoneline to wired ethernet.