British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   I'm sick of the press knocking Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/im-sick-press-knocking-dubai-596895/)

Desert Rat Mar 11th 2009 4:04 pm

I'm sick of the press knocking Dubai

It appears to me that its open season for knocking Dubai, okay its suffering from the global downturn but isn't everywhere else. Its probably because its been the most successful city in the world in terms of growth and profile that makes it a easy target.

Lets hope it bounces back and shuts the critics up for once and for all.

Put it in perspective, its a city with a population of 1.5 m, which other city has attracted so much attention.

admon Mar 11th 2009 4:06 pm

Re: I'm sick of the press knocking Dubai

Originally Posted by Desert Rat (Post 7368280)
It appears to me that its open season for knocking Dubai, okay its suffering from the global downturn but isn't everywhere else. Its probably because its been the most successful city in the world in terms of growth and profile that makes it a easy target.

Put it in perspective, its a city with a population of 1.5 m, which other city has attracted so much attention.

I feel your pain..

actually I don't..

Do you work for Dubai Municipality or something?

The Dean Mar 11th 2009 4:09 pm

I don't think it's as simple as people "knocking Dubai".

I think the people who continue (Piers Moron for example) to promote it as Luxury-on-Sea need to be better informed - everywhere else, everybody accepts there are problems, whereas in Dubai there are still some who are in denial and continue to promote its virtues and attractions...........

I was there at the weekend (only an occasional visitor these days), and all seemed OK on the surface but the facts are undeniable.

Desert Rat Mar 11th 2009 4:14 pm

Maybe you ought to open your eyes and take a look at the rest of the world.

The Dean Mar 11th 2009 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Rat (Post 7368325)
Maybe you ought to open your eyes and take a look at the rest of the world.

Are you talking to me?

Don't understand your banter, squiffy............

admon Mar 11th 2009 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7368338)
Are you talking to me?

or chewing a brick?

Desert Rat Mar 11th 2009 4:19 pm

No the previous twat

Jeeper Mar 11th 2009 4:22 pm

Why does it bother you?
I can't stand football.....so I don't watch it.....

admon Mar 11th 2009 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Rat (Post 7368349)
No the previous twat

ooh desert rat, you swore...

actually muppet boy, you should look at the facts.

Life is about ups and downs. Big yourself up and people are first to gloat when things turn to crap..

now don't go losing your job here, dear boy..

Desert Rat Mar 11th 2009 4:34 pm

Its not just the press then as I expected.

All I'm saying is I wish people would put this place in perspective its only the size of birmingham but attracts an unfair amount of criticism.

Madam Medusa Mar 11th 2009 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Rat (Post 7368419)

All I'm saying is I wish people would put this place in perspective its only the size of birmingham but attracts an unfair amount of criticism.

you know what, i kinda agree with you...i do wish the press here were allowed to be more honest and admit that things are bad, but yeah, it is all totally in the context of the global crisis, things are completely shite elsewhere...uk is a prime example...

MM, xx

AnotherWorld Mar 11th 2009 4:41 pm

I doubt it will bounce back "quickly" due to the number of people bitten with loans and financial issues. 95%+ of them will never return.

I know I never will.

commander Mar 11th 2009 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Desert Rat (Post 7368419)

but it doesnt have the bullring, or numerous rasta's

admon Mar 11th 2009 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7368461)
I doubt it will bounce back "quickly" due to the number of people bitten with loans and financial issues. 95%+ of them will never return.

I know I never will.

not even for a desert safari?

Desert Rat Mar 11th 2009 4:45 pm

simular amount of guptas