Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

i just don't get this...

i just don't get this...

Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:21 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i just don't get this...

Originally Posted by commander
exactly, which going back to the original point, is why loads of people depart with their kids for the summer, cause you just cannot do that here. period.

Unless you are satisfied with your kid developing into fat diabetes ticking timebomb of a playstation playing lazy twat...hey but as long as they dont interrupt your expat lifestyle
oh please...give me a break from the rose coloured back home everything is better brigade that you seem to be heading up so eagerly at every opportunity...
since when was the weather in the UK so great you can play outside all year round...must have missed that bit...
there's loads of kids here living in compounds where they play outside, ride their bikes, skip ropes etc just like anywhere else in the world, and as an added bonus, most of them have a pool as well...
I certainly didn't spend all year round outside back home, during the autumn and winter (and spring as well come to think of it) is was just to frigging cold or wet, which really isn't much different from staying indoors during the summer here is it...and did we all die doing that? No, you did other stuff, indoor stuff, until it was nice enough to go outside again, and it's the same here, or am I missing something, is there something keeping you just going out and doing your thing?

Not sure what you mean about not disturbing the expat lifestyle? Feels like another one of your speciality digs that you are so fond of. Isn't the expat lifestyle what you are all doing, 'sending' the wife and kid home?
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:23 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Well said MH.
-
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:25 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
oh please...give me a break from the rose coloured back home everything is better brigade that you seem to be heading up so eagerly at every opportunity...
since when was the weather in the UK so great you can play outside all year round...must have missed that bit...
there's loads of kids here living in compounds where they play outside, ride their bikes, skip ropes etc just like anywhere else in the world, and as an added bonus, most of them have a pool as well...
I certainly didn't spend all year round outside back home, during the autumn and winter (and spring as well come to think of it) is was just to frigging cold or wet, which really isn't much different from staying indoors during the summer here is it...and did we all die doing that? No, you did other stuff, indoor stuff, until it was nice enough to go outside again, and it's the same here, or am I missing something, is there something keeping you just going out and doing your thing?

Not sure what you mean about not disturbing the expat lifestyle? Feels like another one of your speciality digs that you are so fond of. Isn't the expat lifestyle what you are all doing, 'sending' the wife and kid home?
Hmmm.. Do I get involved in this one or not.....
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
was laughing with some friends who are moving back to scotland...they are paying £35 a day for the kids to do summer camp (as a way of meeting local kids), but some of the activities include stuff like "trips to the river" and "making treehouses" etc...which, as my friend said, is something we used to do for free, not as an organised activity...

do think parents here in particular do let their kids have enough time to find their own amusement...some parents i know literally have the kid involved in activities in every spare waking minute...

MM, xx
In this world of 'Health & Safety', tree houses are now banned!
Firstly the risk assessments would take weeks to be cleared, you would be unable to climb the tree, powered access or a scaffold would have to be used (built by an individual with a PASMA cert). Even if you could climb it the 'tree huggers' would stop you (trees have feelings too!) or you would be totally inept due to having to wear the necessary, goggles, ear plugs, helmet, gloves, overalls, ear defenders, knee pads, elbow pads and the necessary certification for working at heights or in a confined space!

I often ask myself......................................how did we cope without all the necessary health & safety rules & regs not been in place?
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:37 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Well said MH.
-
says the expert mum.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:42 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

says the expert mum.
And I am not allowed an opinion now? As I said earlier, you know nothing of my situation. Not that a lack of information normally stops you spouting negative nonsense.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you... but... we live in an apartment so it can get a little cabin feverish during the summer. In fact, our only option is the pool (which has been out of action for 2 weeks).

I cannot wait for my villa with a garden, it'll be footie most days and nights. Heat doesn't bother us at all, but you need to be able to escape a bit from time to time. Just as when it's cold you come inside to warm up before going out again.

So yes, when Lisa goes home, I'll be trying my best to make the days go by - some off-roading, boozing, and swimming. I honestly hate it but it's good for mini-M to see his grandparents (or should I actually say, it's good for them to see him).
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hnd
Don't get it either ... neighbour's wife & kids left over 2 weeks' ago and won't be back until Eid. Yet another 'summer bachelor' in Dubai ...
Probably find him at the York Club most nights!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:46 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

In Scotland the summer in general the weather is great. Long long days.

I dont think everything is better back home, otherwise i would be home. We are all different MH, just like you accept and embrace your kids growing up hanging out with Emirati's and no doubt soon the graduate from the quadbikes to driving cars underage like ****ing idiots with Mohamad and his spoilt mates. For me it would be the last thing i would want or tolerate, but hey, horses for courses.

i have my views, you have yours. Meow has hers, which are always correct even in regards to parenthood
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:47 am
banned

And I am not allowed an opinion now? As I said earlier, you know nothing of my situation. Not that a lack of information normally stops you spouting negative nonsense.
of course you are, but please accept also that others may differ and are usually backed by practical experience..
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:47 am
Bored liberal

I dont think everything is better back home, otherwise i would be home. We are all different MH, just like you accept and embrace your kids growing up hanging out with Emirati's and no doubt soon the graduate from the quadbikes to driving cars underage like ****ing idiots with Mohamad and his spoilt mates. For me it would be the last thing i would want or tolerate, but hey, horses for courses.

i have my views, you have yours. Meow has hers, which are always correct even in regards to parenthood
Yes. They probably are.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:48 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

There is also the fact that, in Autumn, Winter and Spring, you can always put more clothes on...

Used to love heading down to the Lecht for a bit of skiing and there was always Alford and Brig O'Dee dry ski slope when there wasn't enough snow cover...
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:49 am
banned

Yes. They probably are.
of course, the next time my daughter is playing up, ill give you a call for advice
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:49 am
Bored liberal

"There is no bad weather, just the wrong sort of clothes"

-
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:55 am
banned

"There is no bad weather, just the wrong sort of clothes"

-
back home yes, out here...lets get naked..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.