Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

i just don't get this...

i just don't get this...

Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:14 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i just don't get this...

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley

When they get to teenage years, they actually in my exp do not want to go home for the entire summer, they have their friends here and the though of going home for the summer is not appealing to them anymore.

Yea, i could understand that totally.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
same here, we never take our daughter to any of the things that MH mentions. In fact our neighbours looked at us with disdain cause we didnt fork out a fortune to go and see frikin Barney or the wiggles.
Wiggles ha ha, i saw an ad for that and did laugh thinking to myself, thank god I don't have a nipper. The thought of sitting through that is not a good thought at all.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:13 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Of course kids should be able to entertain themselves and shouldn't be brought up to think that going to shows and zoos and stuff is the norm...these are special occasions. On the other hand, there are fewer opportunities for kids these days with over-protective parenting and the weather in places like Dubai make it even worse. When I were a lad during my summer holidays or at weekends I was allowed to go out and "play" until it was tea time.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Of course kids should be able to entertain themselves and shouldn't be brought up to think that going to shows and zoos and stuff is the norm...these are special occasions. On the other hand, there are fewer opportunities for kids these days with over-protective parenting and the weather in places like Dubai make it even worse. When I were a lad during my summer holidays or at weekends I was allowed to go out and "play" until it was tea time.
over protective parenting, I believe is actually what is lacking here. I know plenty of parents here who really let their kids do what they want and behave as they want. There is plenty of unacceptable behaviour going on out here amongst the teenage population that even when parents know what is going on they turn a blind eye.

Another new fad is them having a credit card, I mean for gods sake a credit card at 17 or 18.........
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:32 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
When I were a lad during my summer holidays or at weekends I was allowed to go out and "play" until it was tea time.
from 8am until darkness with a wee break for lunch and dinner.

every day.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:45 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

every day.
Indeed. I was always within earshot of home, though, so I could hear my mother's shrill voice shouting my name from the balcony.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

every day.
Exactly - the issue here is that it's too damn hot for the kids to go outside (at least for prolonged periods) during the day, so it's good to go back to their home country where it's presumably cooler (definitely is in Blighty).

Anyone with kids here during the Summer will know that by the end of being pent up inside all day, they're manic, whereas kids in cooler countries have at least had the opportunity to run off some of that energy outside during the day.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:58 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

every day.
and, with darkness falling around 9.30 - 10pm during the summer, we used to have monstrously long footie games..

Jumpers for goalposts...
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:00 am
banned

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
and, with darkness falling around 9.30 - 10pm during the summer, we used to have monstrously long footie games..

Jumpers for goalposts...
exactly...come home, bath, grub, bed shattered. Every parents dream really..
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Jumpers for goal posts, 35 a side, home for Sunday Dinner and out 'til dusk!

Happy, happy days....................
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:56 am
banned

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
Jumpers for goal posts, 35 a side, home for Sunday Dinner and out 'til dusk!

Happy, happy days....................
exactly, which going back to the original point, is why loads of people depart with their kids for the summer, cause you just cannot do that here. period.

Unless you are satisfied with your kid developing into fat diabetes ticking timebomb of a playstation playing lazy twat...hey but as long as they dont interrupt your expat lifestyle
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

exactly...come home, bath, grub, bed shattered. Every parents dream really..
I used to hate getting home and finding my bed shattered.....

Certainly wasn't my parents' dream as they'd have to buy me another one.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:59 am
banned

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
I used to hate getting home and finding my bed shattered.....

Certainly wasn't my parents' dream as they'd have to buy me another one.
very drole..
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:13 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

very droll..
I've corrected that for you...

Sieg Heil..!!!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

every day.
was laughing with some friends who are moving back to scotland...they are paying £35 a day for the kids to do summer camp (as a way of meeting local kids), but some of the activities include stuff like "trips to the river" and "making treehouses" etc...which, as my friend said, is something we used to do for free, not as an organised activity...

do think parents here in particular don't let their kids have enough time to find their own amusement...some parents i know literally have the kid involved in activities in every spare waking minute...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.